Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Resolved instantiating a particle system as a child object

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by glacierqsr, Nov 28, 2022.

1. glacierqsr

glacierqsr

So I've got a smoke trail that comes out of the gun when firing it,
    I'm executing this code by simply calling the function when I'm shooting.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     private void GunGraphics()
    2.     {
    3.         if (muzzleFlash != null)
    4.             Instantiate(muzzleFlash, attackPoint.position, Quaternion.identity);
    5.         if (SmokeTrail != null)
    6.             Instantiate(SmokeTrail, attackPoint.position, attackPoint.rotation);
    7.     }
    I'm instantiating the code like this, but the smoke trail is not a child off the attackPoint transform, I've tried to use attackPoint.Setparent and attackPoint.parent.position, though I couldn't figure it out with that.

Any leads in the right direction would be great, thanks in advance.

2. rickitz5

rickitz5

So currently, setting attackPoints parent will do nothing, because you are only using attackPoints position in the Instantiate method. Instead do this -
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ParticleSystem smoke = Instantiate(SmokeTrail, attackPoint.position, attackPoint.rotation);
    2. smoke.transform.parent = attackPoint;
    This changes the particle systems instance as child under attackPoint.

3. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

As above but also look at the docs for Instantiate, you can pass in the parent right there which is slightly quicker.

Code (CSharp):
    1. var smoke = Instantiate(SmokeTrail, attackPoint.position, attackPoint.rotation, attackPoint);

4. glacierqsr

glacierqsr

awesome!!! thanks a lot, after trying a few things I ended up with this, which seems to work.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Instantiate(SmokeTrail, attackPoint.position, attackPoint.rotation, transform.parent);