Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Instantiated child prefab is invisible

Discussion in '2D' started by Maxik2k, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Maxik2k

Maxik2k

Hi!
    I have a problem with 2D Unity project. When I instantiate prefabs in my canvas, objects are created, I am able to click on them, but they're invisible in the Scene and Game panels. I tried to change Z-positon, but it still doesn't work. Here is my script, which I use on the parent of the prefabs:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class BlockSpawner : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public Transform[] spawnPoints;
    9.     public GameObject blockPrefab;
    11.     public void Start ()
    12.     {
    13.                 Instantiate (blockPrefab, spawnPoints[i].position, Quaternion.identity);
    14.     }
    15. }
    How can I make the prefabs is visible? Thanks for any help.

2. Salade_de_poney

Salade_de_poney

With 2D components, you also need to check the Order in Layer it is casted to. If it's behind your ground, you won't see it.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 14.06.10.png

3. Maxik2k

Maxik2k

The order in layer of the parent prefab is 3 and the child is 5 so that should be OK. I changed the sorting layer of both the parent and child prefab but the child is still invisble. When I drag the prefab into the scene it's displayed correctly. The problem isn't in layers

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  4. Salade_de_poney

Salade_de_poney

Hey sorry for the late reply,

Did you already solve your problem ?

If not the problem might lie in the way you instantiate the GameObject. Quaternion.identity will reset all rotations of the parent prefab to zero.

5. Maxik2k

Maxik2k

Oh, no, I didn't solve this problem.
    Could you tell me, how I should instantiate my prefabs without using Quaternion.identity? If it's possible of course

6. Salade_de_poney

Salade_de_poney

Of course,

The easy way is to use Quaternion.Euler(a, b, c) where a, b, c are in Degrees (the angles you put in your inspector).

7. Maxik2k

Maxik2k

Oh, there are appeared new conditions. So, prefabs are invisible, if they have Image Component. If I use Sprite Renderer instead Image or prefab is a Сube for example - it's visible. But I need to use Image Component. I really don't know what the problem is. So, have you any idea, how to make the Image Component is visible?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  8. Salade_de_poney

Salade_de_poney

If your Asset's Texture Type is a Sprite(2D and UI) . You can use the "RawImage" component with:

<code>
    RawImage rawImage;
    Spite yourSprite;

rawImage.texture = yourSprite.texture;
    </code>

It also work if you want to display videos. You can't change the "Texture" component of an image as it is "readOnly".

So if you want to display a Sprite in an Image, use "RawImage".

9. mbin828

mbin828

I know this is late but I had the same exact problem and it was really frustrating. I'm surprised no one answered this question but this is how I solved it:

I put the spawn point under a sprite. You can leave the sprite field in the sprite renderer empty and it looks like a regular empty 2d point.

I was just trying random S*** and have no idea why this works.

10. rxx1

rxx1

This may be a bit late but I'll put this here for others who come across this thread

if the z position of the spawn point and the player are not both equal to 0 then it will spawn invisible

hope this fixes your problem :)

Ledorubik likes this.
  11. Ledorubik

Ledorubik

Thanks. This worked for me.

12. blakeduvallrobertson

blakeduvallrobertson

check the z axis

unityunity