Search Unity

Instantiate prefab Performence

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Sherwinnie, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Sherwinnie

Sherwinnie

Currently I am making a 3D rhythm game, and I am noticing some performance problems that I can not seem to optimize. The game runs pretty smoothly on my Mac Pro, but when I switch to Mac Mini (2018), the frame rate drops really really bad. It makes me wonder on how I should generate my notes. Currently I am instantiating prefeb to actual note object as the song plays and destroying them when they are hit or missed. However, since I know how many notes I am about to generate because I wrote each music chart myself, I am wondering if I should instantiate all the note objects before the start of the song, hide them to somewhere that the player can't see, and only show them when needed. Will this improve the performance?

ps. the note prefab only has Cube (Mesh Filter) and Mesh renderer as its components, so they don't have the collider and rigidbody component.

2. Soraphis

Soraphis

instantiating at the start and enable when needed -> huge amount of objects, larger startup time, but you get rid of the lag.

BUT: look into pooling systems, reuse elements and don't delete them.

or go with ECS, since your notes are basically really easy objects, without much logic. all of them move at the same speed (speed of the song) and are rendering a simple mesh.

this is basically perfect for ECS