Search Unity

Instances losing references from parent prefab.

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by pushxtonotdie, May 23, 2019.

1. pushxtonotdie

pushxtonotdie

We're dealing with the nefarious issue of instances losing their references to things in the parent prefab. For example property X has a value of Y. In the prefab the value Y exists, but is null in the instance in the scene. These break our game daily, and the answer is usually 'reimport all'.

I have seen posts stating that this is fixed in our current Unity version of 2018.3.12. Are there more of these issues that exist that haven't been fixed? Or fixed in a newer version and we haven't seen it in the release notes?

Also I realize that you may want a repro, but unfortunately I can't give you one. Its just intermittent enough to waste hours of time chasing bugs, but not reliable enough to send you a repro. The repro we are seeing equates to something like User A touches a prefab and commits their work. User B pulls latest from version control and refreshes and instances are lost. We also have serious issues with our build servers randomly losing instances and the answer is 'keep kicking the build'. :(

2. ckelly_dw

ckelly_dw

We're having the same issue, hopefully there's a fix in the works!

3. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Are those lost references MonoBehaviours?

4. pushxtonotdie

pushxtonotdie

Yes. For example I may have a dialog, and that dialog will have some text fields wired up to some code. If this dialog is in the scene it will lose its references.