Search Unity

Instance data not loading from .scene file (Case 1113152)

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by kreso, Dec 28, 2018.

1. kreso

kreso

I just upgraded to 2018.3.
    Prefab instances, in editor, show default (prefab) value.
    Even though unity.scene file holds the correct value.

I have many scenes (game levels) with each having an instance of 'Stage' prefab.
    Now all the Stage instances have same (prefab) values in inspector.
    For example 'levelSeconds' variable is same default value on each scene instance, it should be different.
    If I hit play - things don't work as planned, of course.

But, when i open the scene.unity file inside text editor - I can see the correct value is still there.

Curious if someone from Unity encountered this before - and if there is an easy way to apply these values (back) to my prefab instances (I have 200 scenes, don't want to do it manually).

I uploaded my project via bug report - Case 1113152

Kind regards,
    Kreso

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. kreso

kreso

Hey guys, what is your opinion - should I revert back to previous Unity version or you have any ideas what is at play?
    @LeonhardP @SteenLund @Mads-Nyholm

Thanks!
    Kreso

3. runevision

runevision

I had a look at your case. Please fix compile errors in your project. This should let Unity be able to reimport your Prefabs afterwards, and then they will most likely work. If the reimport doesn't happen automatically, you can do it manually. But you have to fix compile errors first.

kreso likes this.
  4. kreso

kreso

Thank you for looking into it @runevision
    I am not sure about the compile error (I don't have one).
    The platform needs to be set to iOS/Android - I have seen when project is copied to a new machine for some reason this is not transferred. I never figured it out why. Maybe that will fix it?

I have updated the case with more info as well.

Kind regards,
    Kreso

5. runevision

runevision

Thanks for the extra info.

6. kreso

kreso

[NEW]
    Edit:

Thanks to Rune's work on the bug I submitted - he helped me understand that upgrade process works (only some script was causing problem).
    I solved the problem by upgrading to 2018.2 (then 2018.3). So both my projects are now upgraded without problems.

Thanks to Rune and everyone at Unity for taking care of me and the issue.

-----
    [OLD]
    Quick update:

While Rune is workin on this bug (when time allows)... I would recommend NOT upgrading to Unity 2018.3 and the new prefab workflow.

- My other project seems to lose reference to prefabs when updating them. Very random & buggy.
    - Also, another important plugin in my project from asset store doesn't work (author can't seem to find a solution to work with the new prefab system ATM). Also found some bugs.
    - and the bug I reported at beginning of the thread (upgrading to 2018.3 breaks prefabs - resets values on prefab instances).

This pulls Unity back in my mind as unstable engine.

Radical as it may sound, I am secretly hoping Unity will remove the new prefab system (one can hope).
    I have no use for it. I had my own system (placeholders that instantiate prefabs) and it worked really well. Really no need for this mess IMHO.

In any case, unless your project depends on the new prefab workflow - I would recommend to stay away from unity 2018.3

I'm reverting 2 of my projects to previous versions.
    Staying with 1 project because I'm using my scriptable objects instead of prefabs so not that affected.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    micodev likes this.