Search Unity

Installing VSCode Extensions from Flathub

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Elektron72, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Elektron72

Elektron72

I am trying to use Unity Editor on Linux Mint. When I tried to edit a script, it prompted me to install Visual Studio Code as a flatpak. After installing VSCode, it prompted me to install mono5 and dotnet from Flathub. However, it provided no download link, and I cannot find dotnet or mono5 on Flathub. Is there a way to install these with the flatpak version of VSCode (recommended by Unity Editor), or should I ignore the editor's dialog boxes and install VSCode from the website?

Attached Files:

2. Elektron72

Elektron72

I have found the necessary flatpaks (org.freedesktop.Sdk.Extension.dotnet and org.freedesktop.Sdk.Extension.mono5). Now I am just waiting for the mono5 flatpak to add runtime 19.08.

dginovker and jasonboukheir like this.
  3. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

Any updates? I just can't make this work, even with 19.08 runtime.

4. Wolf-64

Wolf-64

I have manually downloaded VS Code (since flatpak doubles the amount of disk space needed for some reason) and the most recent version of mono and .Net Core. Unity opens up scripts in VS Code just fine but I so far I couldn't get IntelliSense working for the life of me.

EDIT: With the setup I mentioned above (I'm on Linux Mint 20 btw) and the instructions for VS Code in the following post everything is working as it should:
    Can't get Intellisense working

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    heitorzorah likes this.
  5. dginovker

dginovker

I had to go the non-Flatpak route. Couldn't get it to work for me, but installing natively for my distro seems to be just fine.

6. canndask

canndask

"The dotnet and mono6 SDK extensions are required for the Unity debugger to work.
    Please install it from Flathub."

When I double click the C# file this dialog box came up, it opening, it works but this annoying error won't let work code snaps etc. Is there nothing to do about it?

P.s I try many way but still not worked.

I use Linux Mint 20

7. MightyCreak

MightyCreak

I installed Unity Hub form Flathub and got the same kind of issue: when I double click on a .cs it doesn't find VS code although it's installed (through the system package manager though).

What's weird is that the Editors downloaded by the Hub are at the place I asked them to be, but it seems that if a program is executed (i.e. UnityEditor) from a flatpak program (i.e. UnityHub), then the executed program is also jailed somehow.

Maybe it would be possible to add optional packages to install when you install VS code or Unity Hub with Flatpak (like the flatpak for Steam is doing where you can install additional emulators). This way we could easily install the mono flatpak package and the other potential dependencies.

But in the meantime, I installed mono-devel through my system package manager and I downloaded the UnityHub's AppImage and, since AppImage doesn't jail the program, it worked. I would have preferred to make it work with Flatpak, but working without a debugger is pretty difficult at some point ;)

8. dreamhst7

dreamhst7

How can I install that packages?

9. sopygg

sopygg

you go into terminal and use
    flatpak install org.freedesktop.Sdk.Extension.dotnet

and
    flatpak install org.freedesktop.Sdk.Extension.mono6

ee19b025, kaltaugh and joksdev like this.
  10. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

Has anyone had sucess in making Flatpak VSCode work as should?

11. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

Bump?

Has anyone gotten this working? I'm in the same boat. I've installed both dotnet and mono6 extensions, but it seems neither Unity Editor nor VS Code recognizes them as installed. I can also see that the dotnet extension appears to reference and symlink to files that don't exist.

12. MikhaelMartin

MikhaelMartin

There is open issue about flatpak extensions. the culprit might be this: https://github.com/flathub/com.visualstudio.code/issues/259. As for now, i think going native vscode with unity hub appimage is the only way that it works

13. iminsert

iminsert

what i did was:

follow the tutorial here under
    "If you want to develop .NET applications"
    https://www.jeremymorgan.com/tutorials/linux/how-to-install-dotnet-manjaro/

than

in the terminal;
    and

my visual studio code isn't detecting the .net core sdk, but this seems to satisfy unity.

14. madd37

madd37

so i installed the visual studio code OSS version on popOS. once installed it was working with my current code but after restarting my pc it came up with the error like all the rest i then ran

in the terminal;
    and

from above and it worked fine after that. Intelisense works for me for the time being. i have had issue on debian based linux distros had some luck getting it working but this above for now works.

ngoanrazor likes this.