Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing Visual Effect Graph

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by JJ_FX, Nov 13, 2018.

1. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Hi,

So Im trying to somehow run the fx graph. But Im a git noob so maybe thats why I dont understand why It doesnt work for me.

Im following instructions from: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/release/2018.3

What I did was:
    1 - Installed latest 2018.3 beta (because according to https://unity.com/visual-effect-graph its only available in 2018.3)
    2 - cloned a repo (with github desktop) from https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline to my project so its something like .../MyProject/ScriptableRenderPipeline
    3 - after that it says to run > git checkout Unity-2018.1.0b2 in the console. But it didnt work. What has worked was > github checkout Unity-2018.1.0b2. Which opened github desktop and wanted to add another repo inside ...\MyProject\ScriptableRenderPipeline\checkout. But... I just picked ...\MyProject\ScriptableRenderPipeline\ because this was the only thing I could do.
    4 - and in the end I edited manifest.json to this: https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...estProjects/HDRP_Tests/Packages/manifest.json

So now when I run MyProject I get an error on load and it looks like manifest.json doesnt understand whats going on there. It gives few paths and says that they cannot be found.

https://imgur.com/a/EPP2w1U

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Ok I managed to run a project. It looks like that you have to manually put your project path in manifest.json. I thought those paths were relative to the current path.

But now even when I run the project It looks like that there is no fx graph. When I right click I have no option to create Visual Effect Graph. . Even though I can create an object component Visual Effect. Here is a screen:

https://imgur.com/a/pchEAkQ

3. marcrem

marcrem

upload_2018-11-13_18-55-28.png

same but different errors...

4. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Yes I have bunch of errors in the console too.

I'm confused. Is this something that should be reported as a bug? Is there a way to contact devs to let them know people are not able to run and test the fx graph?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  5. Zipe92

Zipe92

If you are using Unity 2018.3 you don't have to checkout the Unity 2018.1 branch, you need to use the release/2018.3 branch.

I suggest you to follow the first post here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/feedback-wanted-visual-effect-graph.572110/

6. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

7. Zipe92

Zipe92

Try this:
    1) git clone https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline.git --branch release/2018.3
    2) Open package manager in Unity -> Add package from disk (clicking on the "+") and select the "package.json" in the "com.unity.visualeffectgraph" repository folder

Then tell me if you have other errors

8. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

What I have now is:

9. Zipe92

Zipe92

I had the first error, click on it and replace "SettingsScope.User" with "SettingsScopes.User".

For the other problems I don't know, have you installed the HDRP package?

10. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Oh right, forgot to add HDRP package. Once I did that and changed to "SettingsScopes.User" I only have 1 error left. Almost done:

Code (CSharp):
    1. D:\UnityLearning\HDRP\ScriptableRenderPipeline\com.unity.visualeffectgraph\Editor\Inspector\VisualEffectEditor.cs(708,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'RenderPipelineAsset' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Am I missing another package?

11. Zipe92

Zipe92

Are you using HDRP 4.1 downloaded directly from the package manager? Or the local version from github?
    Furthermore, if you clean the console the error still persist?

I just tried on an empty project, with HDRP 4.1 and Visual Effect Graph 4.2 it works correctly.

12. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Im using Unity 2018.3.0b9:

1) crate empty project.
    2) Then I add Visual Effect Graph 0.1.0 (from the cloned repo) I dont have any other available. It says LOCAL PREVIEW
    3) Now I can add HDRP 4.1 (I didnt have any HDRP before in package manager available). It says PREVIEW
    4) I get multiple errors
    5) restart project
    6) now I only have 1 error: The type or namespace name 'RenderPipelineAsset' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

But I think I know what unity is complaining about. In project settings > graphics > scriptable render pipeline settings. There is RenderPipelineAsset, but there is non in the project. So I guess I have to create one? With HDRP package I just installed?

13. Zipe92

Zipe92

Visual Effect 0.1.0 is the wrong version, you probably are on the master branch.
    Are you familiar with git? You need to checkout the release/2018.3 branch

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Why not just wait a week or so - it'll be available on package manager then. Unity doesn't recommend anyone uses github since what will usually happen is this thread (github has no guarantee of working with a public build of Unity, it's really for Unity's own development).

They're bringing VFX to package manager before 2018.3 release so you don't have long to wait.

Zipe92 likes this.
  15. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Nah.... Even with HDRP project (to make sure I have it running properly) it still complains about RenderPipelineAsset.

16. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Sure I can wait. I was just not sure when it will be available.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not long! You shouldn't even be getting HDRP from github to begin with though. Unity clearly stated that it's a lottery to do so, and people should first just create a template project with HDRP then update that via package manager (don't use github). From there on, it's all package manager and rather soothing for creatives :D

-----

So if you STILL wanted to try you should:
    • Use 2018.3 latest
    • Use template to create HDRP project
    • Update HDRP project via built-in package manager
    • (soon) install VFX via package manager
    Package manager needs you to go to advanced and show the hidden preview packages...

If you want after having 4.1 HDRP working properly via the package manager, you can download VFX from github (the 2018.3 branch) to a folder separate from your project and use the + icon on package manager to load it in (but don't forget to remove that once it becomes available on package manager proper).

That's still not without faffing about. Our team decided to just wait for a short while since the HDRP team lead said that it'll go to package manager soon. And he's quite reliable!

konsic and Zipe92 like this.
  18. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Owesome! Thank you for those news :)

19. konsic

konsic

@hippocoder do you know when VGE is coming to LWRP?

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm not the person to ask but I'm pretty sure it's not planned for a long time. VFX is for compute shader capable GPUs and LWRP is not.

If it happens (and I am guessing) it will be more than a year, or whenever LWRP can reliably be updated to VFX not the other way round...