Search Unity

Installing Unity on macOS Catalina

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nickrapp, Jun 3, 2019.

1. IndieFist

IndieFist

Go to https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive
    Then press instead of Win or Mac download, the green button that say "Unity Hub", then this app will be open and download this version,

2. Harrishun

Harrishun

Awesome, thanks @glad. I'll definitely be needing this checked so it's good to hear that's working.
    Thanks @IndieFist, much appreciated. I had downloaded the installer and had forgotten that this was an option on the Download Archive page. Giving that a go now.

EDIT: That worked! Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    IndieFist likes this.
  3. IndieFist

IndieFist

its my pleasure read that help you

Harrishun likes this.
  4. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

I would also recommend that you download the latest Hub (2.2.0) as it has been notarized which generally results in less issues with installing unity components from it as its now a trusted source.

5. p0w1nd

p0w1nd

I have an old project that needs to use Unity 5.6. I tried both 5.6.1f1 and 5.6.7f1 but Unity is "not responding". Checking the Console app of macOS I saw:

Unsupported 32-bit executable: "/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/5.6.1f1/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler" error message."

I'm using macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Any clue how to fix this? Thanks.

6. p0w1nd

p0w1nd

Actually, just create a fresh new project with Unity 5.6 and the Unity Editor is stuck at that error message.

7. glad

glad

It would be great if someone from Unity Technologies would say a few words about all the problems with Catalina. I mean if someone is fixing issues and give some forecast or explanation, just for us to think what to do next.

8. glad

glad

Can you give me a link, please ? I can't find your issue. Thank you!

9. glad

glad

By the way I can't find any issue related to Catalina and shaders problem.

10. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

11. glad

glad

12. carodak

carodak

Hello, I have to use Unity 2017 1.2f1 because our VR headset doesn't support further versions. Since I have updated the system to macOS Catalina, I can't run any project in Unity 2017 1.2f1. It never loads

13. p0w1nd

p0w1nd

I had to re-install macOS Mojave to be able to build my old game. Unfortunately when uploading to Google Play Console I encountered:

More details: https://developer.android.com/distribute/best-practices/develop/64-bit

Unity Editor 5.6.7f1 doesn't support building Android 64bit. So I guess I'm stuck here and has to use Unity 2018 and convert my old code (sigh).

14. SkippyV

SkippyV

@glad have you been able to build on Catalina yet? Looks like I'm experiencing a similar issue:

GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    Initializing Metal device caps: Apple A12 GPU
    Initialize engine version: 2019.2.15f1 (dcb72c2e9334)
    Default GameObject BitMask: UI already registered

(Filename: ./Runtime/BaseClasses/TagManager.cpp Line: 126)

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'tk2d/BlendVertexColor' - Pass '' has no fragment shader
    ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'tk2d/BlendVertexColor' - Setting to default shader.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Mobile/VertexLit' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Mobile/VertexLit' - Setting to default shader.
    UnloadTime: 0.594750 ms
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitCopy' - Pass '' has no fragment shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitCopy' - Setting to default shader.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-Flare' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-Flare' - Setting to default shader.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITexture' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITextureClip' - Pass '' has no fragment shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUIRoundedRect' - Pass '' has no fragment shader
    2019-12-05 13:19:45.022380-0500 XXXXXX[3364:2243769] Compiler failed with XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED

15. glad

glad

I fallback to 2019.2.4f1. This is the only solution for me

16. SkippyV

SkippyV

Thanks @glad ... I currently have 6 versions installed :) but hadn't made it back that far. Installing it now.

17. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

As mentioned on the main Catalina thread we only support for the editor 2017.4/2018.4/2019+ for MacOS 10.15 due to the 32bit removal.

18. freeqin2046

freeqin2046

are you fix it? how to do ?

19. freeqin2046

freeqin2046

Unable to install 2018.1.9f2 on Catalina, neither via install-assistant nor Unity-Hub. It saids, Unity can't be installed on this disk, the contents of this disk can't be changed.

anyone can help me fix it?

20. bariscigal

bariscigal

Same here.
    Tried installing 2019.2.9f1 with no luck and with the same error.

SaikoPuristu likes this.
  21. SaikoPuristu

SaikoPuristu

same thing for me :(

22. JackGo

JackGo

same thing for me :(

23. briannielsen

briannielsen

Hello, I can´t install the unity hub on Mac Catalina 10.15.2. after installation it says it cannot be opened and it have to be updated...?

24. homenetgames-jacek

homenetgames-jacek

@andrews_unity Right now it is not possible to install (Unity Installer download) any version of Unity on Catalina 10.15.2, notarization error appears. Also it it not possible to launch latest version of the Unity Hub (I didn't have it installed before, installed it now)

25. SungrazerGames

SungrazerGames

Any solution to this? I can't install on any of my macs. They all run Catalina 10.15.2

26. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

You can still install them via those methods you will just need to explicitly allow it.

more info here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

this is of course temporary as we will have 19.3 and 18.4 versions of the unity installer downloader soon.

As for the Hub that also will hopefully be notarized soon as well but for now you will need to use one of the methods in the link above.

27. SungrazerGames

SungrazerGames

@andrews_unity Thanks, I managed to solve it. Can't wait to get crackin'...

28. any_user

any_user

@andrews_unity When can this be expected?

What's the current "official" recommendation? Is Catalina supported by Unity (2018.4 and 2019.2/3) or not?
    I read conflicting stories about it. Some people say it works, others seem to have serious problems with installing or building/running.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-command-line-build-fails-on-catalina.755150/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/the...hen-an-app-is-built-using-catalina-os.784106/
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/1672259/mac-os-unity-ios-build-pink-screen-error.html
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/mac-os-catalina-scene-view-grid-bug.769469/

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  29. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Unity is supported on 10.15 on the latest version of 2017.4/2018.4/2019.(2+) as in it will run, as for the installer nothing is Notarized at the moment, should happen soon for the Unity Download Installer and hopefully shortly after that the hub. PKG files may have some issues but we would generally suggest not installing via pkg files but via the hub or the Unity Download Installer.

As I mentioned above even if your app is not notarized you can still run the hub/unity download installer/

30. JackGo

JackGo

Still can not install unity by the unity hub in Catalina.

Installation has started, but then failed without any message

upload_2020-1-8_12-37-32.png

aurelien-morel-ubiant likes this.
  31. scottnextech

scottnextech

That method does not work for me, gets me the "Unity can't be installed on this disk, the contents of this disk can't be changed." error.

32. scottnextech

scottnextech

Hmmm,,,, Please have a look at this. Might be why many of us are getting the disc can't be changed error. Installer is trying to install to the wrong, read only, volume?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

EDIT

In Unity Hub changed preferences for where Editor installs to a known writable directory, I chose Documents.

Successful install.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    john-adams likes this.
  33. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

So the next release of 2018.4 LTS/2019.3 Unity Download Assistant should be notarized.

34. YPopovDGNGames

YPopovDGNGames

Hey guys! I had the issue too "Unity can't be installed on this disk, the contents of this disk can't be changed.". But I realized it's being after unlock my mac, so I turned "put hard disk to sleep when possible" off in System Preferences -> Energy Saver. The unity installation finished fine.
    Or don't let your mac go to sleep, it will work too.

35. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

sad day. app is ready to ship... can't ship... need to upgrade to catalina, to get Xcode that lets me ship.... so I upgrade to catalina... unity 5.6.4 does not work anymore. and is unsupported. so no way to ship game. have to update game to newer unity which will break the game as unity car physics changed... Unity.. whenever you update physics... you should allow use of old physics engine as an option. sad day....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  36. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Xcode 11.3.1 runs on Mojave, you don't need Catalina for that.

OwlBoy- and andrews_unity like this.
  37. djcomy

djcomy

Hello,

The thing is actually very simple - You just have to allow Full Disk Access for Installer (read/write permitions) in System Preferences/Security&Privacy/Privacy. After that, just run Unity installer, and it will pass with no problems at all. Cheers!
    Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 9.49.39 PM.png

mmSimon and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  38. habitoti

habitoti

So this is what worked for me after setting up a new Mac with Catalina and trying to reinstall Unity (Hub 2.2.2 had the same issue as described that it downloaded the version, processed for a while and then silently ended up with "No Unity Version"):
    • Install any Unity Editor version that you actually don't want w/o Hub. Either use one of the workarounds from above for the Download Assistant (haven't checked that further after the mentioned issues with writing to disk and also wouldn't be comfortable with elevating Installer permissions), or simply install one of the plain .pkg installers straight from a patch archive (these do work).
    • Go to Unity Hub and add that Unity Editor via the "Locate" option.
    • Next install the desired version via Hub. This will now work. It's only the first install in an empty Hub that fails.
    • Remove the unwanted version again from Hub and delete it in filesystem.
    • From now on, always first install new Unity updates next to the existing before uninstalling it. (Or wait until Unity fixes this, but it feels like Mars flight will come earlier...)
    Regards, habitoti

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    OwlBoy- likes this.
  39. rodeowild

rodeowild

Is this problem fixed yet? I'm trying to install on a mac so I can build for iOS. Many of the solutions listed above start with "download via unity hub...". Unfortunately, Unity hub has the exact same issue. It refuses to open to due some nonsense about the inability to check for malicious software. I'm trying to download unity 2019.2.

andrewlundy likes this.
  40. rodeowild

rodeowild

I am running into this issue on Unity 2019. I am also having trouble installing the unity hub itself on catalina.

41. habitoti

habitoti

Installing the Hub itself is no issue at all. It‘s just not a Apple-signed app, so you can‘t open the installer with double click. Use right mousebutton menu, choose „open“ and then click again „open“ on the warning dialog (which you don‘t have on simple double-click). This is a standard procedure for every app that is not installed from Appstore.
    After installing the Hub, continue with the procedure I explained before. This works around an actual Hub bug.

42. rodeowild

rodeowild

Thanks! that worked. I was positive I tried that, but I guess not. I'll try to install unity itself now

43. rodeowild

rodeowild

Yup, I am able to install and run unity. Thanks a lot!

44. andrewlundy

andrewlundy

What's the update here? I am 100% unable to open the Unity application on Mac OS 10.15.13. I click the icon and the app gets stuck on "Verifying..."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  45. Per

Per

All versions of Unity are still failing to install or launch here with Catalina, regardless of whether gatekeeper is enabled or not or what access I give the application. UnityHub itself seems to be responsible for a tonne off asserts in the system log too, rejection of commands as not memory managed, insane number of wakeup calls, even a crash in ketchup (missing dll).

It's quite frustrating to not be able to use or launch the software you're paying so much for via a subscription, so many months after the OS update happened.

46. habitoti

habitoti

Have you tried my described workaround from above? It works w/o further issues on Catalina, and it should for you, too...

47. yumuming

yumuming

Go to the url of unity version release notes
    upload_2020-3-3_10-53-15.png
    then download the unity editor pkg file and install
    upload_2020-3-3_10-55-22.png

mmSimon likes this.
  48. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

So to comment on this a new version of the Hub has been released this week that has been notarized which should allow you to install Unity with no issues :D also the DMG files for the Unity Downloader are notarized on the latest versions of those releases. 2018.4/2019.3

mmSimon likes this.
  49. Fantastic_Balage

Fantastic_Balage

Yeah, except it did not.

Only way is to install _any_ Unity editor via Hub on OSX Catalina is if you set in Unity Hub the path to one of the following paths:
    • /Users/USERNAME/Applications
    • /Users/USERNAME/Documents
    • /Users/USERNAME/Downloads
    Make sure you have added Unity Hub in System Settings > Security & Privacy:
    • Full disk access
    • Files & folders
    • Developer Tools
    If you miss any of those, installing via Unity Hub won't work!

After you installed your selected Unity editor, add it in System Settings > Security & Privacy:
    • Full disk access
    • Files & folders
    • Developer Tools
    The problem Unity Hub developer team still needs to solve
    Using FaceTime camera in OSX Catalina crashes in Unity editor play mode if you launch it from the Unity Hub. What is the solution?
    1. Unity dev team needs to make Unity Hub ask for the proper permissions (Camera, Microphone) but until it is not done jump to (2)
    2. Move Unity Hub to the Bin from Applications, and launch Unity editor separately and play a project in editor which uses camera, and it will it asks for permission - for the Unity editor only, but not for the Hub!
    3. Note: You have to move Unity Hub to Bin from Applications each time you want to test the camera in editor mode,
    4. Note: You have to restore Unity Hub each from Bin to Applications each time I want to use collab
    Anyone knows a better solution I would happy to read that post.

AlejMC and vmnetcetera like this.
  50. bradders3

bradders3

hI,
    Im using Unity for a gaming module at uni, im being asked for a license as soon as i open the Hub? my tutor and other students have never been asked for a license when using the free version. I am on the latets OS catalina, as i got the mac this week. is there a way around this? because i can't open my gaming project without a license apparently. really strange as my tutor said hes never been asked for one