Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Installing the native Apple silicon editor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tautvydas-Zilys, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone.

Today we released Unity Hub 3.0.0-beta.6, which supports installing the native Apple silicon editor that we're releasing with Unity 2021.2.

You can take two upgrade paths:

1. Go to the Hub settings, Advanced tab
    2. Change the Release Channel to Beta :
    upload_2021-10-25_17-9-13.png

3. Click on the Hub 3.0.0-beta.6 Available notification and press Restart Now and Install:
    upload_2021-10-25_17-9-22.png

1. Download and open Unity Hub installer (you can download it from here)

2. Drag the Unity Hub icon to the Applications folder and wait for it to be installed:
    upload_2021-10-25_17-9-33.png

Once Unity Hub is updated/installed, you can install the native Apple silicon editor through the Installs tab:
    upload_2021-10-26_7-59-28.png

Then, locate the desired Apple silicon editor and click install. Native Apple silicon editors have a small Apple logo and words “SILICON” next to it.
    upload_2021-10-26_7-59-36.png

If you wish to install Apple silicon editor without using Unity Hub, you can find the instructions here.

Have fun using Unity on Apple silicon!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

<RESERVED>

makaka-org likes this.
  3. TijilAgrawal

TijilAgrawal

Thanks very very. much

4. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Thank you guys! M1 editor is glorious!! <3

Shatu2564 likes this.
  5. sameng

sameng

Great work Unity team. I was able to get my project open on the new 2021.2 native editor!

Here are some benchmarks I did, comparing it to the previous top-end 2019 16".

It looks like generally 2021.2 is slower than 2020.3, but the native version lets the new m1 speed ahead.

I also posted a thread, here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/m1-max-real-world-unity-performance.1189099/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  6. deekpyro

deekpyro

Testing this out on an Apple Silicon Mac I'm running into this: upload_2021-10-28_23-26-9.png

7. Occuros

Occuros

For me the apple silicon editor is extremely laggy overall (new M1 MacBook Pro Max). There are distinct delays when interacting with any inspector window (up to half a second delay).

Is this a known issue on the new m1 max chips?

mkwsra likes this.
  8. sameng

sameng

alex_bussman and Occuros like this.
  9. clair-ross

clair-ross

Unity Technologies

Can you send an attachment of your logs so we can take a better look at this please? Should be under Troubleshooting -> Open log folder

deekpyro likes this.
  10. aronsommer

aronsommer

For me the Unity 2021.2.1f1 silicon editor is also very laggy overall on macOS Big Sur 11.6.1 on MacBook Air M1 with 16 GB RAM. Is this a known issue?

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

12. aronsommer

aronsommer

13. brianmyrick

brianmyrick

I installed the Apple Silicon version of the editor, but my project is still using the Intel version. It won't let me select the Apple Silicon version...how come?

14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you show a screenshot? Did you select the right editor in the hub?

15. brianmyrick

brianmyrick

See it is installed, but I can't select it for that project. 2021-11-10_14-21-21.png 2021-11-10_14-22-37.png

16. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'm afraid it's a current limitation of the hub (we're working on addressing it). It doesn't play nice when you have both Intel and Apple silicon editor installed for the same Unity version. A workaround I can offer is to remove the Intel version of Unity from the hub.

17. aronsommer

aronsommer

Unity version 2021.2.2f1 (silicon) runs now very nice on MacBook Air M1 with macOS Big Sur! :) The laggy behavior is gone.

Muckel likes this.
  18. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

I'm having this same issue, but there isn't an intel version on my computer. I have an intel build of an earlier version, but it doesn't seem like that would interfere.
    On the downloads screen it says Silicon, but once it's finished, in the Installs section it says Intel. Not sure what's going on here.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

And, for me for some reason, any version of 2021.2 crashes on start on both Mac (m1) and Pc

EDIT: And when I try to install the silicon version again, it says that both the Intel and Apple Silicon version are both installed. Even though I only see the Intel version listed under "Installs").

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  19. tessellation

tessellation

We're having the same issue installing Apple Silicon 2021.2.2f1. The Unity Hub (beta 6) logs report that it has no access to the Destination Path, even though I gave the Unity Hub.app "Full Disk Access" permission in System Settings > Privacy. Here's the entry from the logs:
    {"level":"error","message":"[\n \"Error occured in 'Destination Path Check'. Error: No read write access for /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor\"\n]","moduleName":"Disk Validation Strategy","timestamp":"2021-11-15T18:50:44.714Z"}

Is there another support application that needs disk access permission?
    @Tautvydas-Zilys

20. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'm asking around.

21. tessellation

tessellation

Thank you. After rebooting my Macbook, I was able to remove "Full Disk Access" permission for Unity Hub from System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy settings because Unity Hub once again prompted for Documents and Downloads folder access permissions. Mac OS was in some strange state after upgrading Monterey to 12.0.1, that's why I had to add Full Disk Access permissions previously. However, I'm still not able to install the Unity Editor due to Validation Failed error, even with the INTEL version of 2021.2.2. So this may be an issue with Monterey and nothing to do with installing a Apple Silicon Unity Editor. I've submitted a bug report for Unity Hub 3.0.0 beta 6.

22. BeardedChris

BeardedChris

In the Editor Inspector im not able to fill Lists or arrays wit object nor im seeing items I filled in previous versions running silicon 2021.2.2f1

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

In the meantime, perhaps you can try installing it via the installer directly? https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2021.2.2

24. tessellation

tessellation

OK great, thank you! I was looking for that in the download Archives, but none of the links said Apple Silicon, only Intel. I'll let you know if I run into any troubles installing this way.

25. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

o_O Something went wrong with the download archive website it seems, I'm bringing this up internally. For whatever reason, it allows download Apple silicon editor for 2021.2.0 but not 2021.2.2. We'll get it fixed but for now you can just click on the "Release notes" link in the download archive and the scroll down - it will contain all the component installers there.

26. tessellation

tessellation

Good news! With Unity QA, we found a solution to this problem. For those developers like me who migrated from an old Macbook to a new one using the Migration Assistant app. The migration app reworks the permissions in the /Applications/Unity folder. The recommendation is to open the Terminal.app and run:

sudo chown -R $(whoami):admin /Applications/Unity
    which will require admin elevation. After doing this, installed Unity Editor will pass validation.

Also thanks @Tautvydas-Zilys for passing along the issue with the Download Archive page.

mkwsra, falkkuehnel and yos_316 like this.
  27. azimuth

azimuth

Hey guys, outside of some bugs that need to be worked out, is Unity good to go on M1? When can we expect the official (non-beta) release?

Thanks!

28. BeardedChris

BeardedChris

Yes it is great, runs performant, builds fast, besides some bugs i have no complains. It is no comparison to the Rosetta version.

29. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I was told this is now fixed. Download archive now has Apple silicon editor download links.

tessellation likes this.
  30. rabiifromspace

rabiifromspace

I cannot open project using silicon editor, only the intel version shows up, even though when I go to Add Editor, it shows silicon editor as installed. I also don't find the silicon editor when I go to installs, only intel one shows up. This is 2021.2.3f1

31. chatsopon_acc

chatsopon_acc

- Tap install the native, but the UI said it's intel.
    - Activity Monitor said it's Apple silicon.

Screen Shot 2564-11-26 at 03.14.45.png

32. falkkuehnel

falkkuehnel

Thanks!
    This one did the trick.

tessellation likes this.
  33. mkwsra

mkwsra

Thanks, This did the trick for me as well!

34. Kobald-Klaus

Kobald-Klaus

will there ever be a 2020.3 LTS version for M1?
    my project does not to work with 2021.x at all - thousands of errors!

35. tessellation

tessellation

Unity does not plan to support native 2020 editor. The good news is that it runs reasonable well on M1 even under Intel. Even Intel 2021 is blazingly fast compared to 2020 because of various performance optimizations. Native 2021 is even faster so upgrading to 2021 might save you more time in the end compared to the time it would take to fix those errors.

36. Thanitsak

Thanitsak

Anyone got any idea how to let M1 Max chip use more of its power? Because now mine is using around 50% compared to intel Mac which it will max out the gpu and the frame rates only get doubled compared to intel Mac (30 to 60)?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  37. Wolfos

Wolfos

Sounds like Vsync. Wouldn't recommend turning it off though. Any more power would just push more frames than you can even see on a 60Hz monitor.

Thanitsak likes this.
  38. Ritzilla

Ritzilla

My mac doesn't have rosetta and I did the whole installation and license activation like it said in the forum but it still doesnt work, can someone explain this bug to me?
    What I did was install 2021.2, activate the license manually, and create a new empty project and it wouldn't open and when I tried to quit this message appeared:

Attached Files:

39. justdizzy

justdizzy

I am getting this when trying to install 2021.2.9f1 (silicon) to new MacBook Pro on Monterey 12.2

40. varlamov5264

varlamov5264

Hi! The Silicon installers are no longer showing up in the Unity Hub, using the latest version (3.0.1). I know I can still get it from site, but there you can not download the necessary modules

upload_2022-2-2_23-18-20.png

41. justdizzy

justdizzy

Just restarted Hub and I too can't see Silicon versions anymore. maybe they pulled them to resign them?

42. Wolfos

Wolfos

You can download the components on the "What's new" page:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2021.2.9

43. justdizzy

justdizzy

I reopened Hub and the Silicon builds were back, but still failing verification, so I downloaded the editor directly from the above link, and when I try to install, I got this security popup. I got this for earlier builds, but I thought Unity would have gotten this figured by now.

Attached Files:

44. adamkapos

adamkapos

Is it possible to install older versions of the Apple Silicon via the Unity Hub link? E.g. unityhub://2021.2.11f1/e50cafbb4399

aromana, MagicMiikka and FIFTYTWO like this.
  45. Wolfos

Wolfos

Right click > open

46. TheCoderBoiYT

TheCoderBoiYT

Thanks before this i just went to the archive. Probably if you have issues just go to this website https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive and just make sure the second dropdown says "Unity editor Apple Silicon" or something like that.

maheralbashik likes this.
  47. levilais

levilais

Did you ever solve this?

48. deekpyro

deekpyro

I was able to get past this. I recall the issue either being a permissions issue (I used Migration Assistant to transfer my stuff over to that machine and /Applications/Unity/ has incorrect permissions) or something that was fixed in a Hub update. Good luck!

49. aromana

aromana

@Tautvydas-Zilys can you confirm if this is possible?

50. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

aromana likes this.