Search Unity

Installing/running from external drive

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by andersTheNinja, Jan 28, 2020.

1. andersTheNinja

andersTheNinja

Hi,
    tried installing Accelerator today (on macOS 10.15). I set install dir on external drive and cache dir on the same external drive.
    Installer ran fine, except on the last page the IP address was shown as "():".
    I tried running it manually but to no avail. also, when running 'launchctl list | grep unity' no entry for accelerator showed up, only unity hub ones.
    I reinstalled a couple of times but no change. I tried installing the app on local drive, and only cache dir on external but no change.

Eventually I installed it to local hard drive and with cache dir on local hard drive, and then it worked.
    Is it not supported to run from external drive? I'm running low on disk space and it would be really useful to be able to run on external drive.

2. bradunity

bradunity

Thank you for reporting this. We have reproduced this bug and confirmed that you can not use removable media as storage on MacOS "Catalina" (10.15) due to the new "App Sandbox" restrictions introduced by Apple. We have a bug open and will work on a fix for this issue. Keep an eye on the release notes thread for an update to ticket [COL-1316].

3. andersTheNinja

andersTheNinja

Awesome, thanks for the update! I'll keep an eye on the release notes.

4. srowlands_dev

srowlands_dev

Not sure if you are aware of this but I have seen this during installation if the storage location is pointed to a network drive and not a local one form where the accelerator is being hosted

5. bradunity

bradunity

As of Accelerator v1.0.196+ge1f9988 it should work on locally and remotely attached storage facilities. If not, we'd definitely like to learn more about what kind of file system is in use for the remote location to make sure we get it fixed in an upcoming release.

6. srowlands_dev

srowlands_dev

I'll see what I can do about reproducing this out of work on a local setup that mirrors the original instance for you, I was planning on making some videos around using the accelerator so I'll try and grab a video of it

bradunity likes this.
  7. LeMasakiTAKANO

LeMasakiTAKANO

macOS Catalina
    10.15.2(19C57)

v1.0.272+gb7c26b9

I can not set storage location to use external drive in Setup.

Work: /Users/mp-pc0095/Library/Unity/accelerator

Not work: /Volumes/HDPH-UT/Library/Unity/accelerator

I tryed ...
    chmod -r +rwx /Volumes/HDPH-UT/Library/Unity/accelerator
    and
    cd /Users/mp-pc0095/Library/Unity; ln -s /Volumes/HDPH-UT/Library/Unity/accelerator
    both fail.

8. ZAUBAR

ZAUBAR

Same issue here, including the :0 during setup, and error 78 in launchctl list. But it seems it is not accelerator itself that has a problem with an external disk. If I start it on the command line directly it runs fine, just the launchd plist setup seems to have an issue. I'm running v1.0.628+gea3998c.