Search Unity

Installing APK on Android device with Family Link?

Discussion in 'Android' started by tanoshimi, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Is anyone familiar with the "Family Link" app on Android devices, which is used to remotely manage permissions and app installs etc? When downloading an app from the Play Store, it sends an alert and prompts for a family administrator to approve the install before proceeding. However, I cannot find a way to grant permission to install an APK built using Unity and downloaded onto the phone - I'm guessing it's related to the "allow unknown sources" option, which is also disabled by Family Link.

So, perhaps my question is best rephrased as, how do I prevent my APK from being untrusted? Is there any way short of publishing it on Google Play (not an option in this case?). Or does anyone else have any experience on publishing from Unity to a device that has Family Link enabled?

2. keithschmitt

keithschmitt

I'm having the same problem. I created a game for my kids but I can't load it on their Android tablets because of family link did you find a solution

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Are you installing via Google Play? How do the Family Link permissions work for other Google Play games?

4. neoranga84

neoranga84

On the parent phone, in the Family Link app. Select the account you want to manage, scroll down until you see the device, select "settings" next to "play sound" and enable "Allow unknown sources" under "Device Information".
    I hope the translation is some what correct, translated from Swedish.

5. khiengtc

khiengtc

I also have a same problem of this family link .
    I think that we can't download apk/ third party apps when you devices have family link

6. Nashan

Nashan

Thank you so much. That worked ! (but you still have to authorize "unknown sources installation" on the device itself)

7. dixiehenry

dixiehenry

There are some applications that ask for but I allow it and cannot be installed. Is there any method I can get around this problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.