Search Unity

Question Installing Ads Mediation (IronSource) breaks project

Discussion in 'Unity Mediation' started by byapblup, Feb 10, 2023.

1. byapblup

byapblup

Hi all, thanks for your time

I am trying to get ads set up on my project, so far I have only gotten so far as to install Ads Mediation and it breaks the project. My game runs fine both in the editor and on my device, and all I need to do is install Ads Mediation and it breaks everything.

First, I see this warning which maybe isn't a big problem, but I have strived in my own code to avoid all warnings so it's a bit annoying:
    1.png

More importantly though, it breaks all of my editor scripts, they cannot find the things they define the editor screen for. Something funky happens on import.
    2.png

Finally, the IronSource package itself seems to be riddled with errors. Every bug in the IronSource code is this "event must be of a delegate type" error.
    3.png

Extremely grateful for any ideas or advice regarding what is going wrong here.

2. jcGrenier

jcGrenier

Unity Technologies

Hi @byapblup, could you tell us what Editor version you are using?

3. byapblup

byapblup

Hi, I am using 2021.3.16f1, IS integration 7.2.7.

It works in new projects, but my existing project breaks in this way. It seems like the Mobile Dependency Resolver isn't installing in my project.

4. jcGrenier

jcGrenier

Unity Technologies

if your project already contains a dependency resolver MDR will not be installed, but this should be fine. However I haven't seen the errors you are seeing while testing on 2021. I would recommend trying to remove the package, see if there are still errors at that point, and if everything is clean, attempt to install the package again. If there are errors during installation please pot them here.

5. byapblup

byapblup

Thanks for your reply.

I have done that, there aren't any errors during import but once importing is complete the same errors reappear.

Do you have ideas on where I might be able to find and remove an old MDR? I have previously had unity ads w/ Mediation installed on this project, but it has been removed.

6. jcGrenier

jcGrenier

Unity Technologies

MDR should be located directly in the Assets folder, in a folder named MobileDependencyResolver

7. byapblup

byapblup

The problem ultimately was that the IronSource package:
    1. Is poor quality code, doesn't use namespaces properly and clashed with some of my own assets
    2. The MDR in the ironsource package was faulty and attempting to do a UN*X install on my windows machine

The ironsource merger has been such an incredible S***show, I really really hope whichever souless executives thought this was a good idea lose their position. Such a black mark on Unity's record.

Jaap_2a likes this.
  8. byapblup

byapblup

In the last 20 minutes I have installed admob and gotten it working. Compare this with months of banging my head against the wall with ironsource support.

To anyone else experiencing this, I cannot recommend enough abandoning ironsource

Jaap_2a likes this.
  9. jcGrenier

jcGrenier

Unity Technologies

Hey @byapblup ,
    I am sorry to hear our mediation solution has fallen short of your expectations. I would like to thank you for your feedback, as it is always appreciated, and is an important part of helping us address our user's needs.

I hope you can check back later, once the product matches your expectations :)

10. GG_JamesBattersby

GG_JamesBattersby

I can confirm the same issue. The AdsMediation package is the direct cause of the issue. It modifies the project solution file in such a way that the Editor project (Assembly-CSharp-Editor) is removed from solution!

11. kojagiri

kojagiri

I installed the AdsMediation a couple of days back, and the past 2 days have been hell. So at the very least I can confirm this issue still persists as of Jan 2024, and will probably need more work.

Jaap_2a likes this.
  12. Jaap_2a

Jaap_2a

I'm currently navigating a nightmarish ordeal with Ironsource's ad system for my game, which runs flawlessly on both iOS and Android—until Ironsource enters the picture. The moment I integrate their demo, Android builds crash and burn. It's taken me a grueling two weeks to achieve a single successful build on Android using Unity 2022.3.19.f1, solely with Ironsource's newly released adapter (version 7.8.0).

Attempting to add the UnityAds adapter via the LevelPlay Integration Manager is where everything falls apart, rendering builds impossible. The ordeal is perpetuated by endless dependency and Gradle process issues—a labyrinth of automation that I have no desire to navigate. Ironically, resolving these issues has consumed more of my time than actual game development.

Compounding the technical headaches is the communication barrier with Ironsource's support team. Despite our mutual use of English, it feels like we're speaking different languages, leading to frustrating and fruitless exchanges. Their responses are robotic, peppered with irrelevant standard queries that sidestep the real problems—akin to dealing with a poorly programmed AI rather than human support.

Moreover, the ad system's architecture is bewildering, with convoluted concepts like Unity Ads, LevelPlay Integration Manager SDK, adapter, and Ironsource mediation network. It seems like a maze designed with complexity in mind, rather than efficiency or user-friendliness.

In essence, my experience has been more about battling the system than leveraging it for my game's benefit. It's disappointing to see such potential get lost in translation, both literally and figuratively.

13. rileybolen

rileybolen

I also ran into the Editor related errors, where installing the Mobile Dependency Resolver broke my editor scripts, by preventing them from loading dependencies from `Assets/Scripts`. I will put my solution here for anyone else who finds this.

The issue seemed to be caused because when I installed Unity Ads Mediation there were three files for the Mobile Dependency Resolver created in my `Assets/Editor` folder, one of which was an Assembly Definition Asset, which I believe was responsible for breaking my import references.

I created a new folder called `Assets/Editor/MobileDependencyResolver` and moved these 3 files into it, and this seems to have fixed the issue for me.