Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Installing additional packages for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by saldavonschwartz, Mar 5, 2015.

1. saldavonschwartz

saldavonschwartz

As it is usually the case for me with Unity, I'm always a bit confused about how they distribute their packages, and have few couple questions:

I dowloaded the final version of Unity5 today, and the first thing I noticed is that the project templates are gone. There used to be a few templates similar to those in Unreal Engine 4: 3d, 2d, tower defense, platform, etc. Anyone knows what happened to those or if I need to download them separately?

The closest thing I found is what I believe is the 'sample project' which got installed under Users/Shared (on Mac) and it seems to have similar scenes to the templates. Anyone knows if this is the sample project and it replaces the templates?

The downloads page now has that Download Assistant but there's also, below the link, an 'Additional Downloads' section. Are these really additional downloads or is this a misnomer and they are just the same thing as what you can install thru the assistant? Particularly, there is a 'built-in shaders' package under this drop down, which I don't see under the download assistant options. But maybe they are actually installed as part of the standard assets?