Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing 2018.2 installs package version of TextmeshPro automatically

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by snacktime, May 18, 2018.

1. snacktime

snacktime

Not a big deal, but likely not the intended behavior. I still had the asset store version installed. I think it was the api updater that kicked in and installed the package version, resulting in a broken project. The funny thing is after removing the package version, everything worked. So it appears there was no valid reason to force the upgrade.

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm pretty sure it's intended, I'm more annoyed by all the rest it forces for you. I'd really want only package manager to be there by default and even that shouldn't be setup like it is (you really don't want to disable it by accident).

I really dislike that Ads, 2xAnalytics, In App Purchasing are all enabled for every new project I make or import to 2018.2 (I usually just go and disable them all, which is annoying extra step). I don't mind TextMeshPro personally as it's actually the only one I might have use for atm but I'd really prefer clean slate for packages in the start. I hope they plan to change this because the most logical approach would be to let the user select the packages from the project launcher itself, like when you create new project.

richardkettlewell and cxode like this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

4. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

I wonder if you reached that conclusion because you saw the API Updater prompt (dialog) ?

btw: API Updater does not touches packages.

Best

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Although I strongly recommend switching over to using the package manager version of TextMesh Pro which will require converting the project over to this new version. The package manager version of TMP does include source code which is great. See the following thread with information about this.

If you do choose to migrate to the new version, make sure you grab the latest which is 1.2.2. Version 1.2.3 should be release soon as well.

Having said that, if you want to continue using the previous version of TMP, you can prevent the package version from being installed by modifying the "Project Root/Packages/manifest.json" to include the following

Code (csharp):
    2. {
    3.   "dependencies": {
    4.     "com.unity.textmeshpro": "exclude"
    5.   }
    6. }