Search Unity

Installed Visual Studio, now can't get MonoDevelop back

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by indy2005, May 25, 2014.

1. indy2005

indy2005

Hi,

Installed Visual Studio 2013, and now even though I have MonoDevelop set as the external editor in the preferences, I keep getting Visual Studio opening my c sharp scripts.

So now I don't have any autocomplete.

How can I reattach mono develop back into Unity, or as an alternative, get autocomplete working in visual studio? I assume I can debug in visual studio, if I attach to Unity process?

Ideally I want to go back to mono.

I tried resynching with Mono, in case that worked...but I keep getting this error:

Build Target directory for does not exist!WebPlayer
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:GetMonoIslands()
    UnityEditor.SyncVS:SyncVisualStudioProjectIfItAlreadyExists()

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

i

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Well yeah... of course.. opening a c# file from explorer is going to open it in VS (assuming this is what youre doing, since thats how it reads)..

You could reset the file association to use mono.

Not sure about your intellisense problem, I dont use 2013.

No its not as simple as attaching to Unity process to debug. Your only VS debugging option is available through UnityVS plugin.

3. indy2005

indy2005

Hi

I am opening scripts from unity, not explorer. Despite having mono set as default editor in unity, visual studio is being launched all the time instead of mono.

Regards

I

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

I often swap back and forth between visual studio and monodevelop. This is because I prefer Visual Studio for writing my code (ugh, I HATE monodevelop so much, it just feels clunky all the time). But Visual Studio does not have support for debugging unity (there are 3rd party plugins to get it working, but they cost money).

When I swap, sometimes unity doesn't recognize that I've swapped and still open the one I don't have selected (either direction). What I just do is change my setting to what I want. Close everything. Open JUST unity, make sure it's still set to what I want. Again close unity (because nothing else should be open). Reopen, and it should work.

Sometimes, especially if I'm switching back to VS from Monodevelop, it gets stuck despite doing this, because sometimes the debugger gets stuck in memory despite closing monodevelop. And I have to go into the task manager and close it.

On a side note, for future reference:

mono - is the opensource framework that is modeled to be like .net, it's the free (free as in speech, not as in beer) version of .net.

monodevelop - an IDE used to develop software that utilizes the mono framework.

visual studio can create programs that run on mono.

Last edited: May 30, 2014