Search Unity

Bug Installed Unity but riddled with compile errors and other bugs upon creating new empty project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by GameMachine13, Mar 22, 2023.

1. GameMachine13

GameMachine13

I have had issues for the past 24 hours of not being able to use any version of Unity I download. I have to go to the Unity archive website and download everything manually as the Unity hub will always fail at installing any Unity version. I'm using the built in Windows firewall. I turned it off and the Unity hub still can't install any unity version. After installing manually and trying to create a project it will go through Unity hub on startup but upon opening the Unity editor I get a message there are compile errors. All I've done is startup the Unity editor and I get a message about compile errors. This is for Unity 2021.3.21f1, what the Unity hub tells me is the recommended version to install.

So I installed Unity 2019.4.40f1, manually as no Unity version will install through the Hub. It started up with one error message it couldn't load the Unity sample scene. Looking through the forums I noticed a post about some issues may be fixed by going into project settings and changing the player to use IL2CPP. I did that and Unity 2019 just crashes to desktop without any warning every time I change from Mono to IL2CPP. I did select to install Windows build support (IL2CPP) in the Unity installer for both Unity versions I've tried to install.

VS 2019 installed without issues when installing Unity 2021 using the windows unity installer I downloaded from the downloads page.

I have registered for Unity personal edition and the Hub tells me the license is active without issues.

My computer is up to date with Windows update. No driver issues anywhere.

This is very frustrating.

Another thing that is frustrating is these forums won't let me upload images directly. I'm supposed to add images through a url.

Considering everything in the last 24 hours just trying to open a blank project in Unity all I can say is I've never experienced anything like this.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Extra unwanted packages in new projects (collab, testing, rider and other junk):

https://forum.unity.com/threads/temp-unityengine-testrunner-dll-error.1133938/#post-7287748

About the fastest way I have found to make a project and avoid all this noise is to create the project, then as soon as you see the files appear, FORCE-STOP (hard-kill) Unity (with the Activity Manager or Task Manager), then go hand-edit the Packages/manifest.json file as outlined in the above post, then reopen Unity.

Sometimes the package system gets borked from all this unnecessary churn and requires the package cache to be cleared:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53145919/unity3d-package-cache-errors/69779122

3. GameMachine13

GameMachine13

Thanks for your reply. I went through the info on those web pages you provided but unity still won't work after trying those workarounds. The only way to get compile errors to go away in the unity editor is if I remove all packages. After I remove all the packages from my new empty project all the errors go away. All means all. I also have to remove the visual studio code editor package. Of course then creating scrips in unity won't work.

I also created another new empty project and removed the visual studio code editor package first. Compile errors persisted until I removed ALL the packages and then I could enter play mode and do nothing because this engine is totally useless in it's current state with all packages removed.

(Edited out rant)
    I'm frustrated.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  4. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

This certainly sounds...unusual.

What compile errors are you seeing?

5. GameMachine13

GameMachine13

Backend exited with 1073740791.
    Another message about backend exited with 2.

Also messages about some file or folder named bee and an artifact relating to it not being found.

After I remove all the packages in a unity project all the compile errors go away and I can enter play mode but unity is useless with all the packages removed.

I uninstalled the unity hub and all unity versions and deleted the files in my user account appdata and everything related to unity in the local and roaming folders. I found Microsoft had an older version of the unity hub, version 2, which can be installed along with visual studio community and was able to get that downloaded as an update/addon to my visual studio install. I tried using that to install Unity 2021 LTS but the end results are the same. Same compile errors.

6. GameMachine13

GameMachine13

So the same problem with compile errors occurs with Unity 2019. I was able to install the last version of Unity 2018 and it runs.

It is using visual studio 2019 instead of 2017. Just to make sure I opened up the help menu in vs studio and clicked on "about microsoft visual studio" and it tells me it's visual studio 2019.

I'm able to create scripts and run them. I understand Unity 2018 lacks a lot of improvements compared to 2021. Would it be worth it to use Unity 2018?

I haven't installed the latest version of Unity. I'm wondering if Unity doesn't care about 2021 LTS and version 2019 because it's 2023 now and they see themselves as having moved on? So they don't care if people can't use those versions and have no plans to fix them.

So now I'm installing Unity 2022.1.23f1 as that is an official Unity release, according to the Unity hub info.

7. GameMachine13

GameMachine13

So Unity 2022 has compile errors and won't run. Unity 2022 provides a message the issue is with collab-proxy.

I'm wondering if I wasn't using the "free personal edition" and was paying for a plus or pro edition these compile errors wouldn't be a thing. I'm not going to test that though. I have read a statement on the unity forums by a person from Unity Technologies spelling out that Collaborate does not work out of the box for the free personal edition. So why activate that package for the free personal edition and throw compile errors in my face? Because Unity is becoming like EA and wants me to spend money to be able to use their engine without any "compile errors".

I've done some more research on unity. Many are claiming Unity is a good engine if you want to make medium to low end mobile games but not a good fit anymore for AAA games. Unity seems to want to be the go to engine for mobile ads. Unity's ceo used to be EA's ceo. That's disheartening and explains why Unity is now a mobile game engine focusing on monetizing mobile apps.

The fact unity is making the latest versions of their engine unusable for the "free" edition, unless you want to tinker with their json files, says a lot.

So I uninstalled the collab package from the 2022 project and it gave me a new compiler error about Rider not working correctly. I tried to remove that but couldn't as it is part of the Engineering package and I noticed visual studio code editor is part of that package as well. But I decided WTH and removed the engineering package and then I got some generic compile error message. I then proceeded to remove all packages and was left with a general vague compile error message when all packages are removed from 2022.

If Unity's "free" edition doesn't work why would I ever upgrade to plus or pro? If I were to make over $100K using the Unity 2018 engine ( the "latest" version of unity I've found that actually works) I would just stop using it and switch to something better at that point as it is getting older and Unity won't be updating their 2018 version.

Tonight I read an article about how to make games that earn you money and why Unity will never help anyone do that anymore. Unity is all about getting hobbyists to buy asset store stuff and show you how to do neat little examples while never actually making anything big. Unity was working on something like a AAA title but fired those working on that AAA example game with their own engine and shut down the project. More and more people have been moving to Godot and Unreal. Lately indie devs have been coming out with games for desktop made with Unreal while the top indie games made with Unity are now mobile games. It was also suggested if you want to make a good game or even a AAA title you need to have access to the engine's source code or use an engine that is open source. Unity won't allow access to their source code. Unreal and Godot allow access to their source code.

After all of this craziness trying to install unity and learning more about unity to me it seems the EA ceo running unity has ruined it and made it the perfect engine for mobile fodder and micro transactions. If I want to use Unity I'm going to have to use the older and no longer updated 2018 version. And unity's competitors are better than the 2018 version of unity.

My Conclusion:
    I now feel Unity's day is past. If I want to seriously get into game dev I'm going to have to go with another engine or make my own; and I don't know enough about code to make my own at this time.

8. spiney199

spiney199

It works for most people. It's just not working for you for whatever reason. Impossible to say if that's because of your particular computer arrangement, or due to some issue on Unity's end.

No you definitely do not need to pay to use Unity. You're just coming up with that in your head for no reason.

I haven't paid a cent and have been using the engine with a personal license for two years without any issues.

So it sucks that you've had a bad start to your game dev journey, but you're blabbering nonsense out of frustration, sorry.

chemicalcrux likes this.
  9. GameMachine13

GameMachine13

Unity also is built on old tech. Unity 2021 is still using .net version 2. Other game engines are using .net version 6! The latest .net is version 8. Unity 2022 uses .net version 4. Microsoft no longer supports .net version 5 and below. Based on this info I looked into today I should have done more research into unity and how to successfully make games before I got all excited about the unity game engine.

How am I blabbering nonsense when unity 2022 automatically installs the package for collaborate and activates it with my personal edition license when unity has already stated it doesn't work with the personal edition as a paid subscription is needed for anyone to use collaborate? It generates compile errors right off the bat in unity 2022 because of unity installing the collaborate package with the personal edition. I'm sure if I was paying for the plus or pro edition those compile errors wouldn't be an issue.

Unity 2018 works just fine on my system. Unity 2018 doesn't try to inject packages I don't have the prerequisites for into an empty project like the newer versions of unity do. That's the problem. Another example is the newer versions of unity install the Rider unity package into the empty projects. I don't have that editor installed on my system so of course it's going to end up with compile errors. I'm not interested in installing Rider on my system either.

The simple solution here is Unity needs to just install Unity with Unity; not a lot of other stuff unity devs think I MIGHT want to use someday. If I want to use collaborate I'll have to fulfill the prereqs for using collaborate which is get a plus or pro version of the unity license. If I want to use the Rider editor I'll install it myself.

It's clear to me unity is based on old tech, broke itself, and has settled for being a mobile game engine. The only way mobile games make money is through pay to win/play. Great games make money based on their own merits.

10. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

Packages to support editors you don't use do not cause "compiler errors". Unity version control does not cause "compiler errors" if your license doesn't let you use it.

I'm going to be frank: You don't know what you are talking about, and you are just raging unproductively at us. We are not able to (and not inclined to) help you when you're acting like this.

11. GameMachine13

GameMachine13

I'm going to be frank: Unity is based on old tech, broke itself, and has settled for being a mobile game engine. I'm not asking for help anymore. I'm stating why I'm not going with unity. Unity has serious issues. I haven't had this many problems with any other program I've tried to use or install. It's obvious the problem is unity's.

Getting rid of their EA puppet master and getting back to supporting indie devs would be good start for unity moving forward from their current mess in my opinion.

12. spiney199

spiney199

You know no idea what you're talking about. Most PC indie/AA games on Steam are made with Unity.

Good luck with other engines. If you can't get Unity working you won't have much luck with any others.

13. Canr1se

Canr1se

Hello everyone. Feels like I am a bit late to party, but thing is that I actually got somehow similar problem as well and really dunno what to do about that.

I am learning Unity at the moment and have complete the Unity Pathway thing, occasionally having issues with 1-2 projects I created where on start they informed me there is an issue with project, bla-bla, run in safe mode. As I remember I solved that one with the help of other post where guys explained that you can;r save projects at the folder same as Unity (I did not, but occurs it's not about Unity Hub folder itself, but about the folder where Unity Hub folder is located), so I moved it and it worked.

Now, for some reason, I get compile errors. The thing is: if I start older projects I created before - they run with no problem, but as soon as I create a new one - it starts creation and on compile stage it gives warning message about file having issues (same thing about "safe mode" and "Ignore")

I have tested on Editor 2022.3.18f1 (LTS) and 2021.3.34f1 (LTS)

When you "Ignore" - it gives around 471 warnings in the console which in general complain about Library\PackageCache\com.unity.test-framework@1.1.33\...

Example:
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.test-framework@1.1.33\UnityEngine.TestRunner\NUnitExtensions\Runner\UnityTestExecutionContext.cs(125,34): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ValueFormatterFactory' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.test-framework@1.1.33\UnityEngine.TestRunner\TestRunner\SynchronousFilter.cs(16,31): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'TNode' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Also get following error creating new project:
    Internal: Stack allocator ALLOC_TEMP_MAIN has unfreed allocations, size 37
    To Debug, run app with -diag-temp-memory-leak-validation cmd line argument. This will output the callstacks of the leaked allocations.

What I did so far:
    -full re-installation of Unity, Editors and Visual Studio
    -added some sort of things in Visual Studio about compile and also a repair (no effect at all)
    -checked metafiles in Edit > Project Settings > Editor > Versions Control, those are not "Hidden"
    -tried solution from this post, but now "Engineering" and "Visual Studio smth" are dependent on Test Framework and removing all three of those causes extra errors in the console :https://forum.unity.com/threads/hundreds-of-compiler-errors-how-to-fix.1030039/
    -and from here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65909090/very-unusual-error-that-i-have-never-seen-unity
    -and this one: https://discussions.unity.com/t/unity-stopped-compiling-automatically/48703
    -I believe I did something else, but can't recall as so far I spent with this issue ~16h already and now it's hard to recall every small step I did, but I am sure I will be able to answer if I did that in the case of advise, or attempt to do what was suggested in the case you can help me.

I would so much appreciate your help, as I really wanna proceed with training at least, but this thing...

14. Canr1se

Canr1se