Search Unity

Installed editor using hub but I can't add modules.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by GrafSpee, Oct 4, 2019.

1. GrafSpee

GrafSpee

This is my first time using Unity Hub since I didn't want to use it.
    I've been hearing that it sucks but today I wanted to try it since Unity is now requiring people to install the hub to use the latest versions.

I installed the version 2019.2.7f2 which was the latest version yesterday. It took me 8 hrs just to install it (something seems wrong with the installation time as well). Today I wanted to try out the new version. Tried to open an old project of mine then I selected to import the old project to a new version but then it says that I needed the Android Player. Which I bet that I did since I always do it. I always check everything that is android related module every time I download a unity version. So I guess I just have to try and install it again. I searched online for a way to do it and I read that you just have to click the 3 dots. I checked on it using the unity hub but it's not showing me the add module option I only get "Show in Explorer" and "Remove from Hub". Which are the options that will show if you didn't install the unity version using the Hub. This is definitely a bug since I installed it using the hub and you can't install that version without the hub.

Is there a way for me to make the hub recognize the editor that I just installed as something that the hub itself installed?

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Currently, the hub realizes the installation is done through the Unity Hub if a file called `modules.json` is written next to it. We are working to relax this constraint.
    It is difficult to know why this file is not created in your installation without looking into the logs. It would be great if you can report a bug, then we can look into the logs

Here is my suggestion as a workaround
    Assuming that you are on Windows (you said "show in explorer"), you can create a file called modules.json next to the editor installation folder with the attached content (make sure it is called modules.json, not modules.txt)

Attached Files:

Prujith, Fangh and CheyenneEphemere like this.
  3. CheyenneEphemere

CheyenneEphemere

This is something related to right access (security) in the folder "C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.3.0f6" for instance for the version 2019.3.0f6. But, I think comparing with another installation where "Add Module" is active, that this does not really come from security set of the folder, since they are the same. I think, that Unity Hub has not been granted to Administrator rights when installing a new version, of when a new independent version was installed out of Unity Hub.

4. joshuaGnol

joshuaGnol

It's so frustrated that this bug happen in a big software like Unity.
    Tried reinstall Unity Hub.
    Everyone is having the same issue on v2019.3.0f6. There is no solution yet ?

5. CheyenneEphemere

CheyenneEphemere

I have found one workaround which works great on my computer (Windows 10 Enterprise version 1909 OS Build 18363.657).
    You have to startup your computer in Safe Mode with Network Support
    Type : Change Advanced Startup Option in Search Bar
    After Click on "Restart Now".
    Select Option 5 : Safe Mode with Network Support
    Launch Unity Hub
    Remove failed installation, for instance Unity 2019.3.0.f6 in my case.
    Install the full version 2019.3.0.f6 from Unity Hub with all needed modules in "Safe Mode with Network", and this works.
    I think that this is a security access issue with some folders or with the registry, even if your are member of the Administrator Group.

6. rahulgupta89343

rahulgupta89343

Dis you jave modules.txt for unity version 2019.4.5.01f

7. travisn

travisn

Having this issue on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7. Unity version 2019.4.12f1
    I guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Unity

brn_ghs likes this.
  8. brn_ghs

brn_ghs

Also in windows 10. I already reinstalled unity and unity hub but it didn`t work.