Search Unity

Resolved Installation error, preventing usage at all

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by White-Gandalf, Nov 1, 2021.

1. White-Gandalf

White-Gandalf

On installation of unity3d, i get a message "To use unity, you MUST HAVE an active license. Please download the Unity Hub and activate your license."

On clicking "Install", i get redirected to the download site of "Unity Hub".
    After installing "Unity Hub" and trying to start it, i get "Javascript errors" - a multitude of them.

First, upon simply starting the "Unity Hub.exe":

Uncaught Exception:
    Error: Zugriff verweigert
    <temp directory in the users local appdata>\<some hashvalue>.tmp.node.

...Which emerges to be an EXE file.

Writing and then executing files in the user writeable space is a typical malware behavior and thus not permitted on my system. Was never. Will never be. However, I'm willing to configure certain exceptions...

If i forcibly terminate the hanging stuff, give the Malware "Unity Hub.exe" an extra tmp directory on startup, aside from normal permissions for everything other, an other javascript error encroaches:

Uncaught Exception:
    Error: ENOENT, node_modules\diskusage\build\Release\diskusage.node not found...

So: What is an administrator of a security wise hardened system supposed to do to get this S*** running?

I am not at all interested in any community stuff. I see this "Unity Hub" as completely useless nagging. I simply want to do a little tutorial on creating and exporting blocks for "7 Days to Die" - nothing else. I do not want to create ANYTHING on external websites. I simply want to startup the unity editor to start working.

What am i expected to do?

2. White-Gandalf

White-Gandalf

Solved - if you want to call it that way.

Installed an earlier version of the editor. The 2018 series did not have the nagging with "Unity Hub", but did the thing around the certificate (asking about usage and so on) on their own. That worked!

Hopefully, the older version will - and one friend using it says that it does - be sufficiently compatible in regard to model format.

3. TheAirBlow

TheAirBlow

The thing you're calling malware is literally a native electron addon. Do a little bit more research and googling before calling something outright malware when it isn't in any way. If you don't trust open-source electron, IDFK what will you trust. Next, the error you're seeing is caused by you removing access to that exact native temporary file. You're literally breaking this thing by doing your stupid "hardening". Do you consider anything that downloads executables malware? Is your browser malware? Is Windows malware? Is any game launcher malware? I don't think so.

4. TheAirBlow

TheAirBlow

Continuing on my response, the thing you call "hardening" in this case is just severe paranoia. No other way to call it. It is indeed suspicious, but immediately dismissing it and breaking the very program you're trying to launch is plain stupid.

Following on "I do not want to create ANYTHING on external websites. I simply want to startup the unity editor to start working"... Oh well. Unity is a commercial product made by a company, and them giving you an advanced game engine free of charge is already something. Them wanting you to make a Unity account is made so they can integrate at least some sort of licensing. They need to make money after all.