Search Unity

Install failed: Validation Failed

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ChickenChannel, Jul 26, 2021.

?

how can i fix this

1. reinstall

202 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. install older version

132 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. reinstal unity hub

128 vote(s)
    27.7%
  1. GrosLombaire

GrosLombaire

I managed to make it work on on Linux (Ubuntu 20.04) with Unity Hub 3.1.2 !

You can access the log file at Top left menu > Troubleshooting > Open log folder, and then run in a terminal
    cat info-log.json | grep Error
    , it will show you what happened

In my case, I had to change ownership of some folders (credits to LocalNoob in this thread https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-hub-does-not-work-unless-i-run-as-root-linux.565492/) by running:
    1)
    sudo chown username:username -R ~/.config/UnityHub

2)
    sudo chown username:username -R ~/.config/unity3d

3)
    sudo chown username:username -R ~/Unity/Hub
    #Folder in which I installed the hub(downloaded editors saved here), I guess it might be different for you, check
    4)
    sudo chown username:username -R for your project folders wherever you saved them

5)
    sudo chown username:username -R ~/.local/share/unity3d

6)
    sudo chown username:username -R ~/opt
    # this one is weird, I would advise setting it back to root after you're done

And create a folder as well:
    7)
    sudo mkdir /home/username/.local/share/unity3d/prefs

8)reboot

After all that it worked for me !

2. Blenderik

Blenderik

Update fo Mac Users: You can choose the folder the Editor gets installed in. Make sure it has the right permissions. It's Applications/Untilities by default

sudo chown <USER>:wheel /Applications/Utilities like @MikePetersen suggested

3. cdeerinck

cdeerinck

For me, I had a older version of Unity on my machine (Mac). I deleted /Applications/Unity and then emptied my trash. Everything worked after that.

4. gawinwong

gawinwong

Works for linux version unityhub, just change ownership of /usr/bin/unityhub

5. colonmanuel7

colonmanuel7

This worked for me too. I'm on a Mac w/ a silicon chip.

6. Jaadaan

Jaadaan

I am using mac, and I tried reinstalling unity hub, forcequitting it and restarting, and installing older versions and none worked for me. What am I supposed to do?

7. Jaadaan

Jaadaan

How do you do it? I do not understand.

8. ben4d85

ben4d85

I am on Mac and faced the same problem when trying to add Android Build Support to Unity 2021.3.4f1. 6/9 items installed just fine, but the remaining 3/9 did not install and displayed the same error mentioned in this thread. Here's what I have to contribute to the discussion:

After the installation failed, Unity's Add Modules dialog will make it look as though the Android Build Support has been installed, even though it has not. Others have suggested that the only way to get the checkboxes to appear again (and hence be able to try to add the modules again) is to uninstall the Unity Editor itself. However, I have found a quicker way!

In the Unity/Hub/Editor folder, each version of the Unity Editor comes with a file called modules.json. On Mac, you can find it, for example, under:

/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.3.4f1/modules.json
    (You have to replace the version number with the version of the Editor that you are trying to add the modules to)
    • Open this file in your code editor, search for any sections containing the string "Android", and then in those sections, look for the key "selected", and set it's value to false.

• Delete the folder AndroidPlayer under /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.3.4f1/PlaybackEngines. (Note that this assumes that you are indeed trying to add the modules for the Android Build Support)

• Reopen the Unity Hub and the checkboxes will appear again.

9. OttersMeep

OttersMeep

On Mac go to Unity Preferences > Installs and then change the installs location to a folder the user profile installing unity has read/write access to.

10. dim_wes

dim_wes

For me, nothing from the above helped, but I found a solution, which worked for me (on Windows):

In the preferences of Unity Hub at Installs > Downloads location, a folder is set in which the setup files of the Unity editor are downloaded. I opened this folder in Windows Explorer and started the exe-File from the version I wanted to install. After the installation was done (I chose another folder than the standard one, but I don't know, if this changed anything), I added it in Unity Hub (Installs > Locate > the location of the Unity.exe). After that, it worked, as it should :)

11. lacky5

lacky5

12. salihcelik449

salihcelik449

Thank you big brother <3

13. AndorNextDoor

AndorNextDoor

@RogerFK Thank you very much! Worked for me 2022

14. kcgobrr

kcgobrr

thanks so much!

15. unity_ABE3C6856131D6845F1A

unity_ABE3C6856131D6845F1A

thank you very much,, this worked for me

16. JoelStolar

JoelStolar

Install failed: Validation Failed
    Mac Build support
    iOS Build Support
    Mac Dedicated Server Build Support
    Windows Build Support(IL2CPP)
    Universal Windows Platform Build Support
    Windows Dedicated Server Build Support
    Really new to Unity, like 3 days new. Will try the suggestions written.
    Maybe should have done one at a time. Haven't had trouble doing Lego Microgame,
    except when I tried to use the mods from Danger Zone add on. Followed tutorial to add the spinning bridge.
    Somehow the camera got repositoned to the far side of the world. Deleted bridge.
    Reoriented camera to behind player. Couldn'tt get the camera to stay in that position.
    I 'm used to Blender and doing the Process all transforms. Unity is different. I'm sure it has a feature to set the new origin, but I don't know how to do that.

17. Tony_Max

Tony_Max

Get this on unity 2022.2.0f1 + hub 3.4.1. Reboot + starting as admin works for me (pc win 10).

18. dhewitt16

dhewitt16

Tried running with an admin account and it still wouldn't work. On macOS Monterey 12.6.1 I had to go into Security and Privacy and give Unity Hub 'Full Disk Access' - then it worked fine!

19. samesimilar

samesimilar

I had this problem on an Intel Mac, and here is how I solved it:

In Unity, go to Unity -> Preferences -> External Tools, and make a note of the NDK path for the Android NDK installation.

Then in Finder go to the folder for your Unity version and find `modules.json`:
    e.g. /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.3.16f1
    Open `modules.json` in your favourite code editor and scroll down to find the url for the NDK.
    For me it was: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/android-ndk-r21d-darwin-x86_64.zip

Download that file in your browser, unzip it, and copy the files from the root folder that was unzipped into the NDK path.

20. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

On Ubuntu Linux with Unity 2021.3.17f1
    I just restarted Unity Hub and then started Unity and all was well ... whatever I guess

21. Menatombo

Menatombo

just wanted to thank you for this! It worked!!

22. DryreL

DryreL

Thank you!

23. Zaynull

Zaynull

Issue turned out to be the same, running unity as administrator solved the problem.

24. AstraGamesStudios

AstraGamesStudios

i had this issue and others and i finally got it! I tried everything on this thread and anything else i could find to do but nothing worked. 2 or 3 days later, it turns out that you need to delete the cache. Go to your settings in unity hub and select delete cache. I actually did not have that option so i had to do it manually....

If you're unable to find the option to clear the cache within Unity Hub, you can manually delete the cache folder from your file system. Here's how you can do it:

1. Close Unity Hub completely.

2. Open your file explorer (Windows Explorer, Finder, etc.).

3. Navigate to the cache directory for Unity Hub. The location may vary based on your operating system:
      • Windows: Go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\UnityHub\ or %APPDATA%\UnityHub\.
      • Mac: Go to ~/Library/Application Support/UnityHub/.
      • Linux: Go to ~/.local/share/UnityHub/.
    4. Once you're inside the Unity Hub directory, look for a folder named "Cache" or "cache." Delete this folder. If you can't find a "Cache" folder, it's possible that Unity Hub is using a different location for cache storage.

Note: Deleting the cache folder will remove all cached installation files, which will need to be redownloaded the next time you install Unity versions or modules. It won't affect any existing Unity installations or projects.

5. After deleting the cache folder, relaunch Unity Hub and attempt the installation again.
    Hope this helps someone!

25. RocioTaiu

RocioTaiu

I've tried many things, nothing seems to be working.
    I exectuted the hub as administrator, I turned off the firewalls, I re-installed it, tried different version (previous), downloading the modules and tried to install from the .exe, changed the vpn, changed the user, made sure the license is valid, I changed the folder and also created one with the name "Editor", I deleted the temp files, IDK WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!
    Please help!

26. rainman2k

rainman2k

Windows 10: Unity Hub 3.5 gives validation error. Only returning to Unity Hub 3.4.1 helped to install Unity.

27. Matt_cz

Matt_cz

Just right-click the main icon as you would normally clicked twice and select "Oopen as administrator"

28. ValiantAMM

ValiantAMM

For anyone else having trouble specifically with the "Install failed: Validation Failed", this is what worked for me:

Running in administrator for Unity Hub didn't help, but I did restart my machine and then delete all the unityhub folders in Temp. I then had to manually install it by going into the unityhub folder it was downloaded in and then track down the install location w/ Locate to add it to the hub the Hub.

No idea how to add Documentation or the Visual Studio support stuff I also downloaded though so if anybody knows how to do that that'd be great. Other than that I'm just considering wiping all my Unity stuff and reinstalling all versions and the hub to prevent going through this every time I want to install a version. Wonder if this is specifically a Unity Hub 3.5.0 thing.

Update: This is only a partial solution. It's still impossible to add other modules to the manually installed versions through the hub. Trying to find other ways to fix this.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    ParkeHunsaker likes this.
  29. BCrisos

BCrisos

Can confirm this worked for me! had the issue and this fixed it!

30. ValiantAMM

ValiantAMM

How did you revert to 3.4.1? I can't figure out how to do that.

31. hollure93

hollure93

i can't solve this problem, vpn and running as admin won't fix the problems

32. Miguel0768

Miguel0768

Hola, tambien tuve este problema, tenia activado mi antivirus McAFee, lo desactive por media hora al igual que el firewall y recien hay pude instalar. tengo instalado la version 3.5.0

33. noRotToday

noRotToday

Thanks. It works for me.

34. arcshaw99

arcshaw99

Same issue, did run as admin, disabled antivirus, reduced UAC level still it says validation failed tried reinstalling the editor multiple times still it persisted, tried older version (2022 -> 2021) still it persists, At this point idk what to do someone help!!!

35. MFLM

MFLM

Hey!! Search "Change User Account Control Settings" and select never notify

36. Gerald_Lomko

Gerald_Lomko

Fixed the problem with restarting computer on 11 windows, thanks to @RogerFK for the tips, that helped a lot.

37. HeavyViolence

HeavyViolence

I ended up downloading the required version from the Unity archive (https://unity.com/releases/editor/archive), installing it manually from the .exe file, and adding newly installed editor to the Unity Hub installs list. Worked like a charm. Nothing else seemed to work for me.

38. moonlock

moonlock

Uninstalled everything started with fresh hub download problem persists. Checked logs and it is trying to install Linux-IL2CPP-Support on a drive that is no longer in the system.

39. moonlock

moonlock

It took a few attempts, but after removing every trace I could find of unity including registry keys, all unity directories, environment variables etc, I was able to install an editor normally.

40. sama-van

sama-van

Seriously. The forever issue...

Even the whole UAC removed and Running as Admin combined won't fix it..

{"timestamp":"2023-09-18T16:04:54.601Z","level":"info","moduleName":"UnityInstallerWindows","message":"[ 'user did not agree to the UAC prompt and the process was not started' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-09-18T16:04:54.602Z","level":"info","moduleName":"UnityIPCServer","message":"[ 'IPC server Unity-hubInstallServer closed' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-09-18T16:04:54.602Z","level":"error","moduleName":"UnityInstallerWindows","message":"[ { code: 'User did not grant permission.', message: 'The Hub does not have proper permissions to install Unity.' }, undefined ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-09-18T16:04:54.602Z","level":"info","moduleName":"Installer: 2022.3.9f1-x86_64","message":"[ 'Validation FAILED.' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-09-18T16:04:54.602Z","level":"info","moduleName":"Installer: 2022.3.9f1-x86_64","message":"[ 'Exiting from State: Validation. Event: ERROR' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-09-18T16:04:54.602Z","level":"info","moduleName":"Installer: 2022.3.9f1-x86_64","message":"[ 'Transition to state \"install_failed\" on event \"ERROR\"' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-09-18T16:04:54.603Z","level":"info","moduleName":"Installation Manager","message":"[ 'Update: install_failed' ]"} upload_2023-9-18_23-7-13.png

41. leiadog11

leiadog11

Hello. I am having insane problems with this. I used to be able to install Unity Editors using the Hub, but I am unable to anymore. I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything multiple times, ran as an admin, created the file path for the editor to install, used a VPN, cleared my Temp folder, EVERYTHING! I have no clue what is happening. Please help!

42. leiadog11

leiadog11

Hello. I am having insane problems with this. I used to be able to install Unity Editors using the Hub, but I am unable to anymore. I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything multiple times, ran as an admin, created the file path for the editor to install, used a VPN, cleared my Temp folder, EVERYTHING! I have no clue what is happening. Please help!

43. leiadog11

leiadog11

44. Fimiam

Fimiam

Hi! Having the same issue. On my Mac with m1, everything is good, and the hub downloads and installs any editor but on Windows nothing helps either "run as administrator" or reinstall...
    (it's always Install failed: Validation Failed)

Unity! please do something this is a very old bug...

45. steffenhb

steffenhb

that's one big joke, given by the date this topic exists...

Windows10 here, tried ALL solutions mentioned and nothing did help.
    - Restart + start as admin
    - with / without VP
    - clearing temp dirs / Hub cache
    - disable UAC (was in my case already)
    - disable firewalls (was in my case already)

fun thing, I did change nothing on my environment, no windows updates or anything else. For some reason it simply doesn't work anymore.

Downgraded to unity hub 3.2.0 worked for me, I was able to install editor + modules.

axg1341, R0man and Fimiam like this.
  46. axg1341

axg1341

I am having the same issue on windows 11. It just stopped working out of nowhere

47. Omega97Hyper

Omega97Hyper

it didnt work for me

48. Random_Guy3759

Random_Guy3759

I was facing the same issue while adding modules to the installer.
    What I did was that I opened task manager and closed unity hub from there.
    Then I runned it at administrator and added the module.
    It fixed the issue.
    I advice you to follow the same.

49. punk

punk

This appears to be an issue with the latest hub builds.

I install 3.2.0 - works perfect
    upgrade to latest version - no longer works
    uninstall and reinstall 3.2.0 - works perfectly

This has plagued me for the last 4-5 months

Common unidy are you gonna fix this or are we stuck on 3.2.0 forever

50. TheRoyalProphet

TheRoyalProphet

How do you install the old 3.2 Hub?