Search Unity

Install button visual feedback

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by AlanMattano, Jun 19, 2018.

1. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

That's an interesting idea. Could you elaborate on what kind of information the notification would convey?

3. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

@AbrahamDUnity English isn't my native tongue but a draft description can be

Alert notification, that remains to update. And that tells you the number of Updates that you are missing. It can be just a red dot.

When I open the Hub, I go and open my Project. But actually, I need first to check if there is a new Unity version that is not installed in my disk. Usually, I install the latest one and then I return back to Projects. When there is no new Unity version, is a bit of time-consuming checking by clicking, Installs -> Official Release -> Beta Release -> Projects.

So if in "Installs" button, the icon pops up with including the numbers of new Official Release and Beta Release, It can save me some time. In this case, If I click in "Installs", the icon goes away. And instead, there will be a new icon in "Official Release" or "Beta Release" where there is a new version (as is done or can be done in "in the Cloud"). Ones you inspected "Installs" (eventually) the icon disappear. Or If Official Release and Beta Release are up to date, there is no need for this icon to show up. In this way give the opportunity to pop up when there is a new update. The icon colour can be different to help distinguish if it is a new beta or a final one. The icon can be a dot or be containing the number of releases bigger newer than the installed. When you enter to "Installs", it disappears because it assumes that you make a check. It pops up one more time when a newer version is released alerting you to check. And the number will be all the version that you miss at that point. In this way who often updates use it as an alert. And for dose how do not updates often have a visual feedback of how far back in time they are. Can be useful for Unity statistics? And probably, the number can encourage the lazy user to make an update. ;)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

That's a very thorough description! We don't really have plans for that feature right now, but we will definitely look into it and see how we can make updates more visible.

Thank you for the suggestion,

5. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Ok, nice! It can be just a blue round icon when a new release arrives and hide it when I press Installs tab.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  6. Deozaan

Deozaan

While I personally like the idea of this, I can see how it would be annoying for people who don't care to always install every version.

If you do add this feature, please make it configurable in the Hub settings. And also please allow users to choose whether or not to be notified about beta releases separately from stable releases. In fact, it might be best to allow the user to toggle notifications for the latest LTS, Tech, and beta releases all separately.

AlanMattano and AbrahamDUnity like this.