Search Unity

Install Accelerator in CI environment and keep up-to-date

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by robinfischerinnogames, Jul 7, 2020.

1. robinfischerinnogames

robinfischerinnogames

Hi Unity Team,

I can't find any solution on how to install and update the Accelerator in an CI environment. The old Cache Server was served via NPM and that made things super easy. Is there any other package manager that you seed the latest version to?

Or do we have to write our own hacky update script?

Cheers,

Robin

2. hiepu3d

hiepu3d

Unity Technologies

Thank you for bringing this up. We have published images for Accelerator on Docker Hub and it can be accessed here: https://hub.docker.com/r/unitytechnologies/accelerator. We also realized we did not mention that in the Manual and we will update it. Please let us know if you run into any problem with the docker image.

capyvara likes this.
  3. robinfischerinnogames

robinfischerinnogames

Ah, cool. Yes Docker will certainly work. Thank you.
    A mention in the Docs/Manual is a good idea ;)

Our server is running macOS (which supports Docker of course) and I was wondering if running the cache server inside Docker would have some performance implications? Through the virtualisation I guess there will be some hit on performance compared to a native app/executable. On the other hand as I understand it the Accelerator does not itself compute the Asset Imports (e.g. Texture Compression, Audio converting, etc.) but "just" saves them so maybe there is enough room for performance.

Did you test if the Docker way has performance implications on macOS or I guess Windows?

4. hiepu3d

hiepu3d

Unity Technologies

As of right now, we have not had any performance implication with Accelerator running in Docker container. It will be on our roadmap for performance testing. For now, you can explore our cache tool `unity-accelerator cache perf` and maybe do some performance testing with an Accelerator container on your own.