Search Unity

Bug Inspector values makes everything slow

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Innovine, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Innovine

Innovine

I have an object moving around, and if I select it so that the transform is visible in the Inspector window, the changing numbers drops my framerate by around 100fps. However, if I collapse the transform component so its no longer visible, the framerate rises again by 100fps. Unity, what the hell?
    2021.1.12f1

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

There's only one CPU. Your game stops running while Unity roots around and finds the object you have selected, pulls the values out, presents them onscreen, etc.

That takes a finite amount of time and what you see is totally normal and expected and only happens in the editor.

That's why performance in the editor is NOT indicative of anything as far as the final built game.

If you have genuine performance issues, use the profiler on an actual build of your game.

3. Innovine

Innovine

it takes that long to update the inspector?

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Attach the profiler to the editor and see for yourself.

5. Innovine

Innovine

It should not take 100 frames to update a value in the editor. This engine is beyond broken.

I'll leave it up to Unity3d to profile their editor and figure out whats wrong with it, why would I help them do their job? They sure don't help me in mine any more.