Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Inspector not remembering debug state at restart

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by Johannski, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Johannski

Johannski

Hey there,

one small editor feedback for 2019.3 (And a lot of versions before).
    I would like one tab that is the normal inspector, and one that has the debug mode
    upload_2019-9-10_10-3-47.png

When restarting the editor, sadly the debug inspector switches to a normal one again, which is quite annoying. Unity 5 did save that state, and I would love to have that workflow again. Is this a limitation of a changed layout serialization?

Cheers
    Johannes

2. Deozaan

Deozaan

I used to do the same thing as you, and noticed the same problem.

I've mostly been sticking to LTS releases so I'm not sure when it started, but it goes back at least as far as 2018.4.

2017.4 behaves as expected.

I reported this back in May 2019. Case 1156788. I got a response fairly quickly that they were able to reproduce the issue but haven't heard a peep about it since. For a while I kept eagerly checking release notes to see if it was fixed, but by this point I don't expect it will happen any time soon.

Peter77 likes this.
  3. Johannski

Johannski

Glad to hear, that I'm not the only one with that problem! I actually found the root of the problem (but forgot that I already made a thread for the problem itself): https://forum.unity.com/threads/inspectormode-not-serialized-when-unity-restarts-regression.804393/

It is due to a scope change from public to private which misses the Serialization. Should be easy to fix actually. Maybe you could post the link to the bug, might accelerate the bug resolution, if they already get the information of why it happens and how easily it can be fixed :)

4. Deozaan

Deozaan

Thanks for the details. I'll see if I can get the relevant information to them. It would be nice if that meant it could be patched quickly, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Johannski likes this.