Search Unity

Bug InputSystemUIInputModule doesn't invoke 'IPointerUpHandler' etc. on device removed

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Gooren, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Gooren

Gooren

Hi,

We are using a customized VirtualMouseInput class. Everything works nicely until player holds a UI button pressed down and the virtual mouse gets removed (in VirtualMouseInput OnDisable) during that time frame.

At that point, the Button stays in the "pressed down" state, even though the virtual mouse is long disabled and the cursor is hidden.

I had to do two things to get a workaround solution working:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Add this at the top of the OnDisable method of the VirtualMouseInput class
    2. InputState.Change(m_VirtualMouse, new MouseState());
    4. // ---
    6. // OR AN ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION (you may pick only one at a time)
    7. // First you must make sure that in OnDisable you first disable the actions and only then remove the VirtualMouse device.
    8. // Secondly, change the following line in OnButtonActionTriggered
    9. var isPressed = !context.canceled && context.control.IsPressed();
    10. // This alternative solution corrects the state "automatically" for you.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         // Modify the following method in the InputSystemUIInputModule class
    2.         private void SendPointerExitEventsAndRemovePointer(int index)
    3.         {
    4.             var eventData = m_PointerStates[index].eventData;
    5.             if (eventData.pointerEnter != null)
    6.                 ProcessPointerMovement(eventData, null);
    8.             // <MODIFIED CODE>
    9.             var leftButton = m_PointerStates[index].leftButton;
    10.             if (eventData.pointerPress != null || eventData.pointerDrag != null)
    11.             {
    12.                 ProcessPointerButton(ref leftButton, eventData);
    13.                 ProcessPointerButtonDrag(ref leftButton, eventData);
    14.             }
    15.             // </MODIFIED CODE>
    17.             RemovePointerAtIndex(index);
    18.         }
    So there were two problems.
    - First problem is that the VirtualMouse state does not restart when disabled. Fixed in the first code block.
    - Second problem is that InputSystemUIInputModule does not call UI callbacks like 'IPointerUpHandler' when a device is removed. It only does so when updating active devices in the update loop. But not on remove. Fixed in the second code block.

Regards,
    Stepan

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  2. Gooren

Gooren

I forgot to mention versions used:
    - Unity 2020.3.27f1
    - Input System 1.3.0 (but I also checked latest version on github, pending pull requests included)

I'm afraid I will have to call upon the powers of the Input System father himself, @Rene-Damm :D

3. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Heya, if possible, could you file a ticket for this with the Unity bug reporter? Ensures this is properly tracked and verified by people other than me (important to make sure stuff *actually* happens :)).

Gooren likes this.
  4. Gooren

Gooren

Oh god... I can't. I'm traumatized after squeezing some bug reports through Unity QA in the past. It always takes insane amount of effort to convince people there that I'm not just another guy who doesn't know how to turn on his monitor.

I just found a bug and wanted to share it. I prefer talking about it to someone who knows the actual thing in question.

Don't get me wrong. I don't intend to be rude or anything. I'm just overloaded with work and life stuff in general and can't spend any more time on this. I found a solution that works and that's it for me. Creating a foolproof repro project for someone who probably never even used Input System before is just beyond my abilities ATM.

I hope this thread at least helps someone who bumps into this in the future.

5. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Doesn't need to be a perfect repro project. In my experience, our QA guys are pretty good at stripping down a repro project to the essential parts. Also, linking this thread will go a long way in ensure the QA person will end up pinging me when the ticket surfaces on the queue.