Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

InputField issues w/Bluetooth Keyboard

Discussion in 'VR' started by shaddad, Apr 25, 2017.

1. shaddad

shaddad

I am trying to use a bluetooth keyboard with my hHloLens and my application to enter simple text into a standard Unity UI Input Field. In the editor in play mode it seems to work ok, but when deployed to my HoloLens a gaze at the input field seems to incorrectly trigger as if the control is continuously being selected. (Basically behaving as if someone is constantly clicking the input field with a mouse) This causes the text to become selected and focus to be constantly obtained and lost, and most of the input from the keyboard is lost. This appears to be triggered by a gaze, not tapping. Tapping does not seem to really do anything/change anything.

As best I can tell this seems to be a problem within the HoloLens Input Module.

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Thanks!

Sam

2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

What build of unity are using? This sounds like a regression of the input field.

3. shaddad

shaddad

We are using 5.5.1f1 but I also tried this in Unity 5.6.0f3 and we have the same issue. We have to use 5.5.1f1 because we've run into issues with Holotoolkit in 5.6.*

4. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

I think this issue was fixed in the latest patches of 5.6 and should be ok in 5.6.0p3. Also, are you using a XAML or D3D type for your app?

5. shaddad

shaddad

We are using D3D. Do you mean 5.6.0p2 or is 5.6.0p3 going to be posted soon? I only see 5.6.0p2 here:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases?version=5.6

We had to downgrade from 5.6 to 5.5 for another issue with HoloToolkit throwing an exception in regards to WorldAnchors so upgrading is probably not an option unless the new 5.6.0p* fixed that issue as well. :(

6. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

HoloTool Kit is a Git Gub project so we don't support that as since it is not one of our features. I believe it is not supported in 5.6 yet, that probably will change soon.

Can you try 5.6.0p2 and report back? Also, when using D3D the default mapping input will cause a little bit of confusion with the Input field. The WASD keys (As well as other keys) will cause you to lose focus and regain focus depending, this is because the have been mapped to alt keys in the input mapping. I ran into this and there is a bug report for the input team to investigate the best path of handling this.

This might be what you are seeing, I would try looking into the input mapping.

7. shaddad

shaddad

We tried with 5.6.1 and it appears to fix the issue, except we had to unmap w,a,s,d and space as those cause the focus to be lost as well. Thanks Wesley! Looking forward to the fix for the input keys in the future, but this allows us to continue development.

Last edited: May 19, 2017