Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

InputField bugs

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by giano574, Apr 14, 2015.

1. KarlShifflett

KarlShifflett

The answer to your question is very complex. It took me days to finally figure this all out. It would take a very large blog post to explain this to someone who has never done this. Currently I'm working 16-18 hours days so my time is very limited and I'm going on vacation next week.

Everything you need is here, you just have to dig around.

https://bitbucket.org/ddreaper/unity-ui-extensions/src/3456cfee9b55?at=default

I also spent much time fixing bugs in the current InputField. I really needs a lot of work.

Karl

2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Maybe this is the fix for similar issue:

673152) - UI: Fixed value of InputField.text when another field is being edited.

4.6.6p3 version

Malkyne likes this.
  3. giano574

giano574

Thank you.

That is the exact same problem. I assume it will be in the next patch release for Unity 5. Thank you.

4. Malkyne

Malkyne

Great find, MrEsquire! That sure does look like our bug. Let's hope that fix makes it into 5.1.2, too.

5. AdamMoo

AdamMoo

Just saw the patch notes for 5.1.1p1 and it dosen't seem in yet :(

6. IvanUroz

IvanUroz

@Malkine "Be sure that whatever namespace you give it is accessible from your version of InputField."

How do I know wich namespace to write? Sorry if it's an ovbious question but I'm trying to figure it out and I cannot. Thank you very much for your contribution on this matter :)

Nevermind, I already fixed it. I included "using UnityEngine.UI". It Works! Thank you very much!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Malkyne likes this.
  7. AdamMoo

AdamMoo

5.1.2p1 and I still can't seem to find it in the change logs... maybe they missed it out ?

8. Malkyne

Malkyne

@AdamMoo -- I would retest, if you can. I had to temporarily backburner the app I was working on, but the last time I looked at it, my stock InputFields seemed to be working in the latest build. I would love to see if anyone else can verify that.

9. DurbsDev

DurbsDev

I just tried 5.1.2f1 and 5.1.2p1 and the input field capture being duplicated into previous input fields on the same panel is still sometimes happening...

It seems to be more prevalent on Samsung S4 for some reason. It could be duplicated on 3 of these devices with little effort.

I have reported as a bug to Unity.
    http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?714368_n1hq83ispe79mi70

Please log as bugs too so this can get proper traction. I could not see a place to Vote on fogbugz?

673152 mentioned earlier seems to be closed of as a fix to 4.x - no mention of 5.x. Also this is for iOS where I an only experiencing the issue on Android and iOS is now fine.

10. KarlShifflett

KarlShifflett

I'm still using my custom Inputfield for our projects. Just too many issues with the one Unity ships. This InputField needs a lot of love, but is not getting any.

11. Wulven1

Wulven1

MrEsquire likes this.
  12. KarlShifflett

KarlShifflett

What unity really needs to do, is create a project that has a data entry form with 10 fields with an outstanding user experience and then post that project.

Unless unity does this, they will never understand what developers go through using their product that needs a lot of work to make this work. End result on Android is not nearly has good as IOS.

Yea, seems simple, right. Not.

Unity please do this.

Karl

13. Wulven1

Wulven1

Unity replied to the pull request and said that they accepted the two changes to fix the InputField bugs! Progress!

I also have a work-around for the input caret that is off of where it should be with some fonts. I traced it down to the UICharInfo.cursorPos that is just plain wrong, but without source code for the text renderer, I can't fix it. Must be something to do with the font metrics... If you're using a different font other than Arial and your caret is way off the text, you can see https://bitbucket.org/Wulven/ui/commits/6a5c1e65ad1a4db7d461a24037855fdea11c63fe for a workaround that lets you manually fix the caret adjustment on each InputField.

DurbsDev and MrEsquire like this.
  14. AdamMoo

AdamMoo

5.1.3 just released, only 2 UI fixes and no input field fixes.
    Any one have any idea how long from the pull request till it gets merged ?

15. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

Changes from PR's will go into the next major version. In this case i think it got into 5.2. In general we dont comment on how long it takes for us to evaluate a PR before it gets merged (if it gets merged at all).

16. Malkyne

Malkyne

Thank you for chiming in, Phil! It's good to know that someone is listening, at least.

17. KeskilVladimirov

KeskilVladimirov

If you add different fonts, each InputFild, then the problem will be solved. For me it is a solution, Sorry for my english :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  18. _muffin

_muffin

Hi guys,

I have a much simpler problem. I have an Input Field with character limit set to 256 and when i deploy to mobile (iOS/Android) it stops taking in characters way before the character limit. Is there something Im missing? Is the text size capped to the size of the input field?

Thanks in advance guys.

19. Malkyne

Malkyne

Hi, muffin!

I suspect that you're more likely to get help for this question if you start a new thread with a subject that directly addresses your problem. This thread is really about two very specific InputField bugs, and I think it's going to get very confusing if we mix in a discussion about an unrelated InputField issue.

20. DurbsDev

DurbsDev

Finally there is a fix in 5.2.1p1!

From the release notes :

(none) - UI: Fix for multiple InputFields in a scene having a text being input in one field incorrectly changing the display of other fields while the keyboard is open.

@Malkyne and Wulven1: Thanks for your contribution to getting this sorted. I really appreciate what you have done for the com-Unity!

I'm busy downloading the patch release now.

polytropoi and Malkyne like this.
  21. _muffin

_muffin

Regarding my post. Apologies. I was looking at the wrong prefab...

Regards,
    Andrei

22. Ox_

Ox_

Is it possible to remove placeholder text on selection?

Now it's removed only when users start typing but that's confusing.

23. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

You'd have to do that yourself atm.

24. Ox_

Ox_

Yes, forgot to post it. :)

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.UI;
    3. using UnityEngine.Events;
    4. using UnityEngine.EventSystems;
    5. using System.Collections;
    7. [RequireComponent(typeof(InputField))]
    8. public class InputFieldHidingPlaceholder : MonoBehaviour, IPointerClickHandler
    9. {
    10.     InputField _field;
    11.     InputField Field {
    12.         get {
    13.             if (_field == null)
    14.                 _field = GetComponent<InputField>();
    15.             return _field;
    16.         }
    17.     }
    19.     void OnEnable()
    20.     {
    21.         Field.onEndEdit.AddListener(OnEditingEnded);
    22.     }
    24.     void OnDisable()
    25.     {
    26.         Field.onEndEdit.RemoveListener(OnEditingEnded);
    27.     }
    29.     void OnEditingEnded(string value)
    30.     {
    31.         Field.placeholder.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    32.     }
    34.     public void OnPointerClick(PointerEventData eventData)
    35.     {
    36.         Field.placeholder.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    37.     }
    38. }

25. fcloss

fcloss

Hi! I am having this same issue on 5.3.5f1. Do you know if the bug is still alive or back to life? =(

26. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Im wondering if there is a bug in 5.4.0b24

I have two UI panels, each has a InputField, I type text into one input field, everything fine, then when i try to type into the other input field it seems it cant get the focus, everything i type always goes to the first input field, no matter how much i click on the other input field it doesnt accept any text.

Anybody seen this?