Search Unity

Bug InputEvent does not fire exactly once

Discussion in 'NetCode for ECS' started by Misterturtle, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Misterturtle

Misterturtle

Documentation states: By using the InputEvent type within IInputComponentData inputs you can guarantee one off events (for example gathered by UnityEngine.Input.GetKeyDown) will be synchronized properly with the server and registered exactly once.

This ignores the fact that the client must set the InputEvent to default on the following frame for this to be accurate.

Depending on how you interpret the documentation, this is a feature request, but squabbling aside, I would expect the following behavior out of InputData:

Frame 0: Client -> Set (Count 1)
    Frame 0: Server -> Count 0
    End of Frame 0 -> Client automatically sends the input event data and sets InputEvent count back to 0
    ... Network Delay...
    Frame 15: Server Receives the input data (Count 1)
    Frame 15: Count stays 1 the entire Frame
    End of frame 15: Server sets the count back to 0

Here is a MWE or the issue and the resolution:
    Branch with issue: https://github.com/Misterturtle/Deb...onentdata-debug/Assets/Scripts/DebugSystem.cs
    Branch with resolution: https://github.com/Misterturtle/Deb...nentdata-solved/Assets/Scripts/DebugSystem.cs

Ice_106 likes this.
  2. Misterturtle

Misterturtle

Also, the documentation on this page under the Example Code section is outdated and still uses
    [GenerateAuthoringComponent]

3. Ice_106

Ice_106

The correct approach seems to be this:
    [GhostInputSystemGroup]
    playerInputComp.jump = default;
    if(jumpKeyDown)
    playerInputComp.jump.Set();

[PredictedSimulationSystemGroup]
    var networkTime = SystemAPI.GetSingleton<NetworkTime>();
    if (networkTime.IsFirstTimeFullyPredictingTick)
    if(playerInputComp.jump.IsSet)
    //jump

4. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

The documentation is unfortunately incorrect. The current requirement is that the events must be reset every tick.

5. OuterGazer

OuterGazer

Is IsSet supposed to become false at the end of the server tick? Because I'm having currently a situation where I'm calling Set() on an InputEvent on the client and IsSet turns itself false before the next frame and turns true again in the subsequent frame without me doing anything even before the server runs its tick.

It is quite annoying because I have the same button for crouching and then lying down and one press makes the character controller lay down because the system on the client runs several times before the server tick.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  6. SamuelBellomoUnity

SamuelBellomoUnity

Unity Technologies

Like we mentioned above, the pattern is to reset your InputEvent each time before setting it conditionally. Are you saying you're trying this and it doesn't work?

Code (CSharp):
    1. MyInput = default;
    2. if (Input.KeyDown ...)
    3.     MyInput.MyEvent.Set();

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  7. NikiWalker

NikiWalker

Unity Technologies

Note: Continuous character controller movements (like jumping) should not be guarded by IsFirstTimeFullyPredictingTick. IsFirstTimeFullyPredictingTick is to guard gameplay that cannot be rewound (events like entity creation, V/SFX etc).