Search Unity

Question InputAction does not contain "wasPressThisFrame" error

Discussion in 'Input System' started by cnqdztp, Nov 11, 2021.

1. cnqdztp

cnqdztp

I am "using UnityEngine.InputSystem;"

error CS1061: 'InputAction' does not contain a definition for 'WasPressedThisFrame' and no accessible extension method 'WasPressedThisFrame' accepting a first argument of type 'InputAction' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Code (CSharp):
    1. private InputAction[] actions;
    3. public override bool GetTrackActionKeyDown(Track track, int index)
    4.         {
    5.             var key = actions[index];
    6.             return key.WasPressedThisFrame();
    7.         }

2. Actions don't have
    WasPressedThisFrame
    . They can be other things than keys and buttons. They have triggered.

3. andrew_oc

andrew_oc

Unity Technologies

@cnqdztp This method was added in version 1.1.0-preview.2. I suspect you have an older version of the Input System package installed.

4. Oh you actually added extension methods? May I ask you why did the team choose this over what we have in ButtonControl (property as opposed to methods)? This is super-confusing, even for me.

5. andrew_oc

andrew_oc

Unity Technologies

6. Yes, we are, sorry, for some reason I categorized this as extension method. But the meaning of the question still stands, what is the reasoning to have a method instead of a property meanwhile we already have similar pattern and meaning as property elsewhere.

7. andrew_oc

andrew_oc

Unity Technologies

Not sure. Evolving standards/guidelines maybe? Probably something we can revisit because it's not the most consistent thing but changing either now would be a breaking change so it can only happen during a major version bump.