Search Unity

Input Text Field

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by iceherosubzero, Aug 10, 2009.

1. iceherosubzero

iceherosubzero

I want a input text field where i want the user to enter his name which later will appear in the profile he creates. How can I do that. I tried text field but in run time I am not able to enter and edit text. Please help Thanks.

2. Quietus2

Quietus2

GUI.TextField works fine. I've used it many times for a player's name in high score tables, etc.

You'll need to provide more information. Post the code your using along with what your expected and resultant behavior actually is. Simply saying, "Hi my text field doesn't work. What am I doing wrong", isn't nearly enough detail.

3. iceherosubzero

iceherosubzero

GUI.Box (Rect ((Screen.width/2)-320, 200,Screen.width-(Screen.width/2),Screen.height-(Screen.height/2)), GUIContent("Create Profile" ));//"External Box"

GUI.Label (Rect ((Screen.width/2)-30, 300,Screen.width-(Screen.width/2),Screen.height-(Screen.height/2)), "Enter Name");

var textFieldString : String = "";
    textFieldString = GUI.TextField (Rect ((Screen.width/2)-250, 400, 500, 50), textFieldString); // Here if i pass some string in textFieldString which is my var it is displayed in the textfield but then i cannot edit or type the text in my text field.

if (GUI.Button (Rect ((Screen.width/2)-50, 550,100,30), "Submit")) {
    // This code is executed when the Button is clicked
    print("Hello");}

Please help

4. Quietus2

Quietus2

OnGUI runs multiple times per frame and each time it does you're setting the value of the text field to null. Move the declaration of your string to somewhere in your class other than OnGUI.

5. iceherosubzero

iceherosubzero

Thanks a lot man. such a silly mistake !! :wink:
    Hey and 1 more thing, i had asked about navigating through menus some 4-5 days back so if possible for you can you please send me a sample code for it

For your STATE MACHINE IDEA.

Thanks

6. DanielCheril

DanielCheril

with out coding can create textfield.

7. ibrendan

ibrendan

I'm having an issue with GUI.textfield. Keyboard input is painfully slow. Has anyone encountered this and have a fix?