Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Input System Update

Discussion in 'New Input System' started by Rene-Damm, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Baste

Baste

It's got issues, true. It's not got nearly as many issues as the old input system. It's also going to get better. So any new project should probably use the new input system, for their own sanity.

2. Player7

Player7

Well they already jumped to 1.0 skipping past multiple versions that were expected to have other features, so dropping 'preview' doesn't make 1.0 sound any more complete either when some of us know that 1.0 was originally meant to have included. I'm like whatever I tried it not sure I'm ready to convert over to using it yet, besides still so many other assets that are using the old system aswel.

3. Osteel

Osteel

Hi!

We're currently working on a small project for an interactive booth which will make use of a flightstick for control and we purchased the Thrustmaster USB Joystick because of its minimalist look. However, it isn't being detected when listening in the InputActions.

Few things to note:

1. The device is being picked up by windows and works with online testers
    2. The device is listed as Unsupported in the Input Debugger
    3. Adding the device to the Input System Package under Supported Devices does nothing

From reading online, it looks like its possible to create a custom input device, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about that from reading the documentation. For example, where does the existing JSON exist in which you can modify to add your own devices? etc.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...nual/HowDoI.html#create-my-own-custom-devices

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

GliderGuy likes this.
  4. Deozaan

Deozaan

Is there some kind of public roadmap showing which features are expected to be included in 1.0 and other features planned for post-1.0, including a relative timeline for when these features will be released?

Note that for the timeline I'm not necessarily asking for specific dates. But rather something that will give me a general idea of when to expect a feature based on the current status of the project at any given time. In other words, something like: features X, Y, and Z are expected in 1.0. Features J and K are coming in 1.1. Feature L is coming in 1.2. Feature N is planned for 2.0. etc.

The current Unity roadmap isn't helpful (or up to date) and as I recall, the roadmap video from Unite didn't go into details on the information I'm asking about.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  5. Ferazel

Ferazel

I'm finally on a project that is going to be in development through next year, but it will likely not upgrade to Unity 2020. With all of the delays, it looks like this package is very close to release (congrats). However, with how long it is taking, could you confirm that the current plan is to continue to support 2019.x releases. Or is the first version out of preview going to be for 2020.1?

6. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

2020.1 will be the first one out of preview. We want however to support the 2019 LTS as best as we can. Since we are a package that it easier to do. LTS versions have however a higher threshold for accepting Unity fixes that we might have to do at some point but don't foresee any problem in that regard.

7. Ferazel

Ferazel

I'm a bit disappointed with the response, but thank you for the updated information! I am extremely apprehensive about putting the project through a tech release schedule, but we'll see. Good luck with the release there seems to be a lot of good stuff in here (in particular input contexts and input control modes).