Search Unity

Question Input System - don't unbind Input Devices when Player's GO is disabled

Discussion in 'Input System' started by MaturasPL, Aug 1, 2020.

1. MaturasPL

MaturasPL

Hi, I'm using the newest release of Input System in my game and I've encountered the following problems:

I'm making a local multiplayer game, so I have several players with Player Input components, each having their own bound Input Device (they're bound upon Instantiation). Since it's a competitive game where players die, when they die, I disable their GameObject and then re-enable it after some time. What I've noticed is that whenever I disable a player, his InputDevice gets unbound and then re-bound upon enabling the player again. It creates a problem when I force respawn all players, because their Input Devices get mixed up, example:

I have Player A with bound Gamepad and Player B with bound Keyboard and Mouse
    I disable them and re-enable their GameObjects at the same time
    Player A gets bound with Keyboard and Mouse and Player B gets bound with Gamepad

Is there a way to prevent this?

2. MaturasPL

MaturasPL

Okay, so I've decided to avoid this problem by simply having the PlayerInput component (and the component with all necessary references and input event handlers) in a separate GameObject, that is always active (it's not a child of Player's transform).