Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Input System does not recognize keyboard tap interactions after Windows comes back from hibernation

Discussion in 'Input System' started by pdinklag, Apr 30, 2021.

1. pdinklag

pdinklag

I need some help troubleshooting a problem that is either a bug in the Input System, or an issue with Windows.

My scenario is that I work on my notebook, and I often keep Unity open over night and just close the lid, so Windows goes into hibernation. When I open it back next morning, Unity's still here, so I don't have to load the project again (which sadly takes a while). This works like a charm, except for the Input System.

I have up to two actions that respond to the same keyboard keys, e.g., one "weak" action using a Tap interaction and a "strong" variant using Hold interactions.

This works perfectly well during the session where I booted up Unity. However, when I close my notebook lid and open it back up, the Input System no longer recongizes the Tap actions, but always goes straight for the Hold actions, no matter how shortly I tap a key.

I am a bit lost as to how to troubleshoot this. What I can say is:
    • I have observed the same problem on different Windows notebooks, so it's likely not related to the hardware.
    • Unity's Input System is the only piece of software that acts like this, so I also doubt that it's a Windows issue (running Windows 10, x64).
    • This happens in Unity versions 2020.1 to 2021.1, which I just recently moved to. In that regard, it happens for Input System versions 1.0 to 1.0.2.
    What can I do to pinpoint what exactly the problem is? I know there are some analysis windows, but they don't really appear to be helping me - but maybe I am missing something.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021