Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Input system does not recognize analog sticks

Discussion in 'Input System' started by link0016, Oct 15, 2022.

1. link0016

link0016

I've been working to add controller support to my game, and so far it has worked fine up until one issue.
    Usually I've used an old PS3 controller to play PC games via controller (usually ones like Yakuza 0, fighting games,etc) and when I press the "Listen" button in the input binding, Unity doesn't acknowledge any movement from either left or right sticks.

In case it was the controller giving problems, I tried using a PS4 controller but also encountered the same issue. Through checking the input debugger, it appears that Unity recognizes - in this case - my PS3 controller as "XInput". For the PS4 controller, Unity labelled it "wireless controller"

upload_2022-10-15_17-13-1.png

While Unity will not recognize left or right stick movement, it does however recognize when L3 and R3 (for non-Playstation gamers, these are extra buttons in the analog sticks) are pressed - labelling them as "Left Stick Press" and "Right Stick Press".

I'm currently using:
    Unity 2019.4.39f1
    Input System package v1.3.0

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Is the binding a vector2?

3. link0016

link0016

The action itself is set as "Value" and "Any".

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Maybe try a vector2 binding

5. link0016

link0016

Unfortunately, no luck there either.
    As you can see here, the inputs for the analog sticks are picked up just fine on my PC, but Unity's input debugger doesn't even register them beyond the "left stick"/"right stick" press.

I'm almost tempted to return to the older Input manager, though the InputSystem has allowed for cleaner and simpler code :(

6. link0016

link0016

Well, after reading a topic in this board and seeing something about "deadzone", I looked in my Project settings and the values were set to "4.04" for some inexplicable reason.
    After setting it lower, Unity finally recognizes my analog sticks!
    Very strange, but now I am able to get back on track :)