Search Unity

Official Input System 1.4.1 released

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Schubkraft, Jul 8, 2022.

1. ashtorak

ashtorak

Same for me after going from 0b3 to 0b5.
    Input system broke completely. Even after going back to 1.3.0 via manifest.json as suggested above, the input maps are still broken and it says they don't compile.
    I reverted back to 0b3.

2. Jzubah

Jzubah

The exact same reported bug happens in our project.

It's bizarre to say the least and you should get on that, we thought we were going crazy.
    Glad we're not the only ones, for our minds sake, but can't believe the package is released with this bug...

rubendariohh likes this.
  3. hadesfury

hadesfury

The bug is still present in 1.4.2 :(

Arrows also are not working either.

It seems to be working if I remove "Player/Move/WASD" action and "UI/Navigate/Keyboard" but it is really HACKY to do such a thing

Hadesfury
    Developing Moons of Ardan: https://www.moonsofardan.com/press.html
    Moons of Ardan Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/MoonsOfArdan
    Moons of Ardan Steam Page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1694260/Moons_of_Ardan/
    Discord Server: https://discord.gg/gTeucz5bMf

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    rubendariohh likes this.
  4. perridan

perridan

I have the same issue, when I use the keyboard for move, character, moves without control until, I change the direction. (when I released the key, not fire the event phase, cancelled) downgrade to 1.3.0 solved the issue but is present on 1.4.2.

5. leohilbert

leohilbert

As Hakan explained, only enabling the currently used ActionMap works for me:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void ChangeInputState(string toActivate)
    2. {
    3.     foreach (InputActionMap actionMap in playerInput.actions.actionMaps)
    4.     {
    5.         if (actionMap.name == toActivate) actionMap.Enable();
    6.         else actionMap.Disable();
    7.     }
    9.     playerInput.SwitchCurrentActionMap(toActivate);
    10. }

6. rubendariohh

rubendariohh

I have the same issue as @ibernd.
    I cannot use any key used for a Composite Vector2 (E.g. WASD) as a Button Binding for any other Action. This is a must for my game.
    @unity_hakan Please let me know if you are aware of this issue and working for a fix in 1.4.3

7. rubendariohh

rubendariohh

I downgrade to 1.3.0 and now I can use W as a Button Binding as well as a part of a 2D Vector Composite.

8. TheSmallKiwi

TheSmallKiwi

I've wasted weeks trying to get the Input System to work. It is so unbelievably finnicky and seems to have several documented, easily reproduceable bugs that make it straight up unusable in most use cases. Easily the most frustrating experience I've had with Unity. The lack of quality control is shocking and frankly unacceptable.

9. poke_bd

poke_bd

Having the same issue.

10. JorgeGameDev

JorgeGameDev

Kind of shocking to see such a drastic change on how input behaviour is handled with little to no warning or documentation. Recently updated to Input System 1.4.2. and the way we have WASD and Arrow Key input also broke when everything was working previously.

A downgrade to 1.3.0 fixed the issue for the time being. Hope this is addressed somehow and the behaviour improved considerably.

teutonicus likes this.
  11. Liderangel

Liderangel

Damn and I just updated to 1.4.2 because to rebind buttons there was a bug where you couldn't remap your keys to A, E and N because we use "WithControlsExcluding".

Any way of fixing it without going to 1.4.2?

12. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Could I ask you for a bug report for this issue with your project that shows this? I tried it locally but was not able to recreate this bug.

ashtorak likes this.
  13. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

You could try to find the fix for your issue in the commits at https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/InputSystem/commits/develop graft that to a local package copy and use that.

14. Liderangel

Liderangel

15. VentaGames

VentaGames

Hello,

I've set up a new empty project (2022.2.0b7), then added New Input System.
    Placed an UIButton to the Canvas and On-Screen Button script (Component).
    I added "A [Keyboard]" as Component Path (move left).
    So, on Editor's Player, when i Click on this button, it sometimes remains in a pressed state. So, i have to click again.
    The same behavior on Android, but on iOS, it works as expected.
    Is this the bug, or is something misconfigured?

Note: there is no code, just UIButton plus On-Screen Button script, visually i see that the button remains in a pressed state.

Update 1.0:
    After more tests, it seems that if you tap on the button and release it, the button remains pressed, but if you tap and move your finger (or mouse) a bit (even for 1 or 2 points) and release it - the button releases too. This works on Editor and Android, but iOS always works.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  16. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

That very much sounds like a bug. Could I kindly ask you to report as a bug to us via the editor attaching your little project? Thank you!

17. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

is there any info/update about fixing the bugs that were introduced in 1.4.2? It prevents me from upgrading the Unity LTS (I am on 2021.3.4 and won't be going to 2021.3.8+ version), which is kind of absurd considering the purpose of the LTS which should be meant that it is fairly stable overall.

18. RoyBarina

RoyBarina

You can just change the version in the manifest.json

19. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

I am perfectly aware of that, but it is not the case. Accepting such behavior leads us to the situation when Unity is constantly breaking something, even in LTS releases. How come it is acceptable for the company to let their users/customers be constantly on the forums, searching for the topics describing which version broke something again and which version should be then manually overridden (it isn't even exposed to the editor, you have to do it manually on a filesystem level).

Apart from that - for how long Input System 1.4 was in the quality assurance process until it got verified? Shockingly long and it didn't pick up the issues that the users found a moment after it was released. This makes us free (in fact we are paying Unity) testers. I feel it isn't right also. Something isn't working here.

So yeah, I just wanted to highlight that there is something going wrong with Unity's Development / QA teams.

AugGust, Shizola, ontrigger and 10 others like this.
  20. Henrarz

Henrarz

Seems like modifier keys don't register in 2022.2 beta and input system 1.4.2. Does anyone have the same problem?

21. aazzolini

aazzolini

Unity auto-upgraded my input-system version from 1.3.0 to 1.4.1 and it broke movement keys. Registering my frustration here and hope upcoming releases do better.

22. aazzolini

aazzolini

By the way why does unity auto-upgrade to a broken package version? I believe you should just revert 1.4.1 entirely if it's not working.

fullerfusion, nehvaleem and SAM-tak like this.
  23. petey

petey

Is there any rough ETA on when this version will be available?

24. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

I don't understand this change. I noticed issues with WASD for movement too, because UI action map also had them. But why if I remove just one button from UI action (e.g., W) - there's no issue with all the other movement buttons anymore?
    Like when I have WASD/Arrows in Movement map and WASD/Arrows in UI map I can't move with WASD/Arrows, but when I have ASD/Arrows in UI map I can move again...

25. Marcolino101

Marcolino101

I'm having this exact same problem except it was present only after upgrading from 2021.3.7 to 2021.3.10f1. I had 1.4.0 installed as well, not 1.4.1. With the old Unity version WASD worked fine. I'm also polling with ReadValue<Vector2>();

For some reason spamming the arrow keys and WASD at the same time and then continually keeping at least 1 WASD key pressed per frame after that "unblocks" it and then WASD works again until you don't have at least 1 key out of the 4 pressed during a frame, and then it stops working again until you do the spam arrow keys "fix" again.

26. lejean

lejean

1.4.3 is out, WASD still isn't working

Code (CSharp):
    1. navigateAction = PlayerInput.actions.FindAction("Navigate");          
    2.             navigateAction.started += context => {
    3.                 navigating = true;
    4.             };
    6.             navigateAction.canceled += context => {
    7.                 navigating = false;
    8.                 Moving = false;
    9.             };
    10.             navigateAction.Enable();
    It seems the started, canceled events just don't get called.

Running
    print(Keyboard.current.wKey.wasPressedThisFrame);

in update works as expected

hadesfury likes this.
  27. hadesfury

hadesfury

Still not fixed in 1.4.3

Hadesfury
    Developing Moons of Ardan: https://www.moonsofardan.com
    Moons of Ardan Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/MoonsOfArdan
    Moons of Ardan Steam Page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1694260/Moons_of_Ardan/
    Pandora Technology Website: https://pandoratechnology.com
    Discord Server: https://discord.gg/gTeucz5bMf

28. lejean

lejean

K just noticed the reply on the first page but apparently you have to disable action maps that are not in use or something or add

InputSystem.settings.SetInternalFeatureFlag("DISABLE_SHORTCUT_SUPPORT", true);

somewhere in your code

29. WBonX

WBonX

InvalidOperationException: Failed to add object of type `InputActionAsset`.

Looks like the error happens when updating the input package on a project already using an older version.

Solved this by uninstalling the 1.4.3 and deleting the input settings (generated from project settings -> input).
    Backed up and deleted any Action Asset created.
    Restarted.
    Installing the new 1.4.3.
    Restarted. ( should be automatic but it doesn't happen, project settings menu doesn't even get updated)
    Now Generating again the input settings from projectsettings.
    Copying back from the backup the Actio assets.

I wasted few hours. Things like this shouldn't happen.

ehww, OndrejP, emredesu and 2 others like this.
  30. Lad-Ty

Lad-Ty

Upgraded Unity yesterday, have been debugging why our character won't move using WASD, tracked it down to the input system and relevant events not being called at all (WASD in composite 2D)... Well, what an upgrade experience, will be downgrading the package right away.

Package used = 1.4.3, and the input seems to be working ok *if the input object was active at the start*, and does not work if the object was inactive and enabled or instantiated on the go.

Also, it starts working after you use gamepad for that 2D input, afterwards even our WASD works fine. But not before that.

So, just reporting that this sucks and drained a significant percentage of my soul away, as apparently it did to so many before me (-_-)

petey likes this.
  31. WBonX

WBonX

Triggers problem:

On 1.4.3 I still have problems with the triggers of the gamepad not working properly (they do when pressed together) maybe internally they are treated like composites? (Obviously I don't have multiple action assets using the triggers and they are not used in the UI navigation).

WASD problem:

Triggers and all the other problems related to WASD can be solved adding this line:
    1. InputSystem.settings.SetInternalFeatureFlag("DISABLE_SHORTCUT_SUPPORT", true);
    PS: also check the action asset / defaul asset used in th the event system for the UI navigation.

32. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

I understand the idea behind not triggering B when Shift+B is clicked, but why do you skip my 1D Axis binding when it has keys that are also present in my 2D Vector binding? =(
    upload_2022-10-7_13-49-54.png
    I have a case when I need both actions active - I just ignore AD from Move action and use AD from Rotate action.

33. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

lol it autoupgraded me to the newest Input version when I upgraded to 2022.1 and I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my input wasn't working. How is wasd still broken?

34. Kamyker

Kamyker

Same, from Unity 2021.3.5 to 2021.3.11. The fact it's happening in LTS releases is beyond my understanding.

1.4.3 is still broken. Mouse delta for me.

35. gg_michael

gg_michael

Is this still an active limitation of the Input system?
    • The Input System does not yet support the new 2019.3 mode where domain reloads are disabled when entering play mode.

36. bagelbaker

bagelbaker

Hello,

We were previously using Input System 1.3.0 and now trying v1.4.3.

We have noticed that the InputRecorder from the samples (InputRecorder.cs using InputEventTrace) doesn't capture gamepad inputs anymore. It can still capture mouse and keyboard inputs and can also playback .inputtrace made with 1.3.0.

Is this a known issue? The regression is since v1.4.1. I can send in a bug report. *EDIT* bug report CASE IN-20109

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    RunninglVlan likes this.
  37. YoyleSpartan

YoyleSpartan

Since I have WASD navigation for both player movement and UI stuff as separate action maps, I noticed that WASD navigation works fine if I hold down an arrow key or two. Honestly ridiculous that this issue has stayed unresolved for months on end, and on a version shipped to LTS at that. Is there still no ETA for a fix?

Silly_Rollo likes this.
  38. fullerfusion

fullerfusion

We are going on three months and the WASD bugs introduced in v1.4x for the Input System have not been fixed. This is beyond disappointing; this is just shameful. There has been dead silence, especially in this thread, from the Unity development team on any updates to fixing this solution. I've stopped checking this thread in hopes of an update because if they haven't said anything in months, why would I expect an update anytime soon?

Fixing v1.4x should have been a high priority that was supposed to be fixed yesterday. I guess I'll wait another three months in hopes of an update on where the development team is on improving this issue.

I would love to update my current LTS version to a newer version that contains some important fixes, but not at the cost of messing up my Input systems in my project. No, I will not edit /change the version in the manifest.json file as a workout. I want an actual fix to this issue that your team messed up.

39. petey

petey

There's a thread about Unity remote not working that is now over 3 years old. It's really confusing, surely input should be pretty high priority o_O I don't know, apparently the team haven't been working on any animation updates for years either, they said it's because they are working on dots, maybe it's the same thing with input?
    Anyway, who knows :confused:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    florianBrn likes this.
  40. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

Why won't you fix it with this line that developer posted in 1st page of this thread?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. InputSystem.settings.SetInternalFeatureFlag("DISABLE_SHORTCUT_SUPPORT", true);

41. Marcolino101

Marcolino101

If it's that easy why doesn't Unity fix it on their end? It's as easy for them as it is for us, right? This is totally ridiculous. A one line fix, and they are still shipping it with the broken behavior as default (without telling anyone) (on LTS). How hard would it be to disable shortcut support by default, and have it be something the developer can manually enable if they want to use it?

42. RoyBarina

RoyBarina

It is not a fix, just a workaround.

43. ashtorak

ashtorak

I have no idea what happened, but now I tried going from 0b3 to 0b13 and this time it worked. Just had to set the flag to disable shortcut support and now everything seems fine. Might just have been something messed up in my project.

44. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

I've been keeping my eye on the WASD problem too since I encountered it a few months ago and just wanted to share this 1.4.4 Input System release post. It took them a while but it seems they finally disabled the shortcut feature by default and it'll instead be an option available in the settings in the new version (released November 8th). Haven't tried it myself yet since I've been using the SetInternalFeatureFlag to get around it in the meantime, but one user has reported that it fixed the problem so I might be able to get rid of that function call now.

fullerfusion likes this.
  45. Xavier78

Xavier78

I just started having this issue. I tried reinstalling the package(as that fixed it before) but no luck.

46. OndrejP

OndrejP

Worked for me as well, thanks!

47. kloot

kloot

This issue is still out there in 2022.2.7f. I had 1.5.0 installed and after using git to pull down a new version of the app (having Input System 1.5.1 installed), Unity no loger recognizes .inputactions file type.

48. ehww

ehww

+1, upgrading Input System causes existing input actions to not be recognized in 2022.3.2f1 LTS