Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Input System 1.2 released: More fixes and PS5 controller support for Desktop

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Schubkraft, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Or is it not allowed even in an open-source API? I need some clarification. Thanks.

2. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Happy to hear it is useful. The desktop team made improvements to the pen support for the editor coming with 22.1 I think (sorry, not sure when it landed) and we'd like to hear from you guys on ways to improve it.
    But of course with the normal disclaimer of priorities/time/schedule/business shennanigans.

hippocoder likes this.
  3. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

I'm no lawyer(TM) but as long as there is no official support outside of PS development for all the contoller's functions we can't just go and make one on our own.

Deleted User likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Interesting! but not unusual.

What we could do is you could let us know where to look if it's actually feasible for users to roll their own. Is it possible for us in current Unity? I think many developers will want to try. Some kind of hardware agnostic method?

Awesome! Thank you. It's weird I was asking for so long for pressure stuff and was told for so many years "it's coming" that I completely gave up and stopped until this thread! Funny how it was so quiet as well, and not even promoted. I guess it's one of those things that should've probably been there since day one.

However - thank you to the staff for this unsung work.

Lars-Steenhoff and NotaNaN like this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

That clarifies everything. Now I see the whole Picture. Thank you sir for the answers. And looking forward to Dualsense support for other platforms, including mobile :)

NotaNaN likes this.
  6. TheGamery

TheGamery

How come in 2021.2.4f1 the latest version I can get is only 1.1.1 via the Package Manager ?

upload_2022-1-7_20-55-43.png

Am I meant to be using the GitHub releases instead? (current stable release is 1.3)

7. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

We take a slow approach to the package releases. It is made available via the package manager in the following order: Alpha > Beta > latest Tech release > LTS > LTS. So we have a better chance to catch any big issues we might have missed before we recommend it for updating for everyone.

If it doesn't show up yet when enabling preview packages you can edit the manifest file of your project's Packages folder and just add a 1.2.0 in there. Even 1.3.0 should be available this way.

TheGamery likes this.
  8. It became available. In Unity 2021+ we have the 'Add package by name' where you can put in the
    com.unity.inputsystem
    and
    version number to install a specific version of the package. Don't have to tinker with the manifest file.

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

It was an old Wacom Graphire 3. I only got the pressure of the PointerMoveEvent parameter. However, since that tablet isn't supported anymore by Wacom themselves I got a Wacom Intuos.

I tried painting a texture in scene view with the terrain tools. Problem is that once I pressed the pen on the tablet everything froze. Turned out that it's in the Wacom settings where a press on the tablet was set as "click". Once I disabled that the pressure was recognized properly using Pen.current.pressure.ReadValue(), no more freezes. No disabling of Windows Ink necessary as it was written in other solutions.

The main problem now is that e. g. for the terrain tools a mouse press/drag isn't recognized since I'm using a pen. Is there some way to fake the pen press into a mouse press event so that e. g. the terrain tools register a mouse down in their event handler?

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Schubkraft!

I would like to continue my discussion about Dualsense haptic feedback/adaptive triggers on PC! I just discovered new information regarding this feature in PC .. I see that Call of Duty Cold War supports this feature in PC out-of-the-box!

What does this mean? Is Activision allowed to use it outside Playstation related space? Please, have a quick look in this

11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's very interesting! Apparently, this features IS supported outside Playstation related space, and developers are rushing to implement it in their own games!

What is your official response to this, Unity? Can you disclose why this features isn't supported -yet-? How do you explain all of this?

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  13. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

By the way, does this now support motion controls on the PS5 controller?

Deleted User likes this.
  14. TheGamery

TheGamery

Thanks, I will bare this in mind with other packages too in future. :D

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

It seems since I posted about Dualsense update, Unity has left the chat ..

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

No, seriously though .. where are you, Unity? Why would you kiss-us-goodbye leaving so many unanswered questions? I am so sad .. that's unfair :(

17. dmytro_at_unity

dmytro_at_unity

Unity Technologies

@VolcanicApe, currently, if you need trigger haptics, or any other advanced features support for Dual Sense gamepad on Windows, please contact your partner at Sony for support.

On Apple platforms we plan to implement them in mid/long term. This is possible because majority of features are exposed via Game Controller framework.

Deleted User and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

By "currently", do you mean they will be supported in the future out-of-the-box in the Input System for PC? Please clarify. Because as I mentioned, the Call of Duty franchise has this feature in PC, so there's no way this isn't supported outside Playstation related platforms. Thank you sir for your answer :). And waiting for a reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2022
  19. dmytro_at_unity

dmytro_at_unity

Unity Technologies

@VolcanicApe, if you need full support for DualSense features on Windows right now, you need to contact your partner at Sony. From my personal understanding this is how CoD, Metro, Journey and other games support it.

Sorry I can't comment about any potential future changes to this.

Deleted User likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is just sad. Anyways, thank you so much sir for your time and effort, I really really appreciate it. Thanks :D

21. SniperED007

SniperED007

Are the Xbox controller Trigger vibrations supported yet on windows?

22. Liderangel

Liderangel

This repo is from 2 years ago: https://github.com/nullkal/UniSense
    and has all the cool features the DualSense has. Working on Unity.

I'm sure there is some way of implementing it on your side considering everyone can just plug in their DualSense on PC and use it? Not sure what Sony has to do on a PC environment. They released the drivers and told people "go have fun". So why aren't you having fun Unity?

To have the official Input System in-place and having to install another plugin (made by a user! not by Sony) feels like something isn't right.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  23. SniperED007

SniperED007

" you need to contact your partner at Sony"

Seems like the obvious thing would be Unity to contact Sony.

florianBrn likes this.
  24. AubreyH

AubreyH

(Not sure if this is the right place but, relatively active thread, so...)
    I've noticed that the legacy input system, when using a DualSense, has a built in axial (square) deadzone. This is when using Input.GetAxis (with deadzone set to zero) or Input.GetAxisRaw. When compared to the windows joystick properties, the deadzone isn't present... so it seems like some deadzone crept in, somewhere in unity?

Only noticed because I'm doing a deep dive into deadzone shapes: https://twitter.com/HilariousCow/status/1549036903953219584

unity version 2019.4.34f1

25. IDunnoIGuess

IDunnoIGuess

I just came across this thread and remembered that I found a Unity asset a few months ago that helps you use the PS5 DualSense controllers on Windows for Unity games.

I found and have just started using using a Unity asset that integrates with DualSense controllers. The asset lets you detect any type of button press including the touch pad and it also lets you turn things on like rumble, lights, haptic feedback, and the trigger tension.

It is called "Controller Interface For DualSense"

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ent/controller-interface-for-dualsense-199328

26. bagelbaker

bagelbaker

Is there a reason why the InputRecorder (that uses InputEventTrace) that comes with the sample doesn't seem to record inputs from the PS5 dualsense gamepad? Doesn't work in neither 1.3.0 (works with ps4 gamepad) or 1.4.3 (doesn't work even with ps4 gamepad).

In the Input Debugger, the DuelSense is detected as DualSenseGamepadHID and inputs are detected in the debugger.

bug report IN-20264

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  27. Rachan

Rachan

Did you know PS5 Controller are work great on PC and iOS
    But it still cannot work on Android device
    you can try it and please Fix it!

28. Smallu3755

Smallu3755

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to enable the steam input for PS controllers.