Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Input Save Bug With Reproducible Steps And Video.

Discussion in 'New Input System' started by cecilcruxis, Sep 16, 2018 at 10:13 PM.

1. cecilcruxis

cecilcruxis

When working with Unity's new input system I found a bug and took a couple hours testing it out to find ways to workaround it and exactly how to reproduce it. This bug effects how action maps are saved in editor and I have a video showing how to reproduce it in a blank project.

Tested in a new blank project

Tested on
    Unity 2018.2.6f1
    Unity 2018.3.b1

Input version 0.0.7

Do the following to reproduce

Create a new input actions asset in the project folder
    Open it and add a new action map and name the map whatever
    Hit save
    After this create a new action map, binding or action.
    After you first create it click away.
    Double click on it and try to rename any of the actions, action maps, or bindings and hit enter to confirm.
    When you hit save it won't save and you get the error from the pictures.
    Notice it says NullReferenceException in console.

Some notes if you right click on the action delete it than create a new one and change the initial
    name while creating the new one you can save now. Also if you hit F2 instead of double clicking to rename the action I found sometimes it doesn't give any error and most of the time seems to work with renaming whiles still allowing saving.

It looks like it is trying to find the serialized asset in the project folder and since the name is being changed it can't properly reference the asset and causing a null reference making saving not possible. Not sure though. This is something for Unity devs to say. This is the only issue I have found with saving the asset. This is the biggest headache for me and probably others too so hopes this helps.

Rene-Damm likes this.
  2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the detailed bug report!

Wanted to take a look at this today but didn't manage. Will take a look tomorrow.