Search Unity

Input problem when keyboard is opened on Android

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Emptiness, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Emptiness

Emptiness

Hi, when the keyboard is opened on Android Unity can not detect any touch or button press on the device except on the keyboard. So the keyboard works fine but the part where the the keyboard is not covering the screen there isn't any touch detection.
    It's like there would be an invisible cover or something on the part of the screen where the keyboard is not covering the unity app.

So the user have to touch the screen twice in order to push a button when the keyboard is opened.

Example:
    1. user touches an inputfield
    2. keyboard opens
    3.keyboard working correctly
    4.user decides to push a button on the area of the screen where the keyboard is not covering the app. So the user touches the screen.
    5. The unity app does not response to the touch, instead it closes the keyboard. (the touch is not registered even with Input.touchCount)
    6.The user has to press the button again (touches the screen) and than unity responds correctly.

Obviously I don't set up something correctly :)
    Can someone help me?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Ardito92ITA likes this.
  2. zyzyx

zyzyx

I think this is by design and a common behavior on mobile, not exclusive to unity.

3. Emptiness

Emptiness

Hi all,

One year passed and it is still an unresolved issue which cause ongoing problems to my users. All my clients and all my testers said this is unacceptable.

I don't think that this is a common behavior on mobil application, or at least this is not common for the popular apps(googlemaps, facebook, foursquare, tripadvisor...).
    This is quite annoying for a user to push the same button twice because the first touch exit the keyboard and the second touch will actually push the button. This could not have been intentional by Unity. This is an annoying bug from the view of UX(User Experience).
    It seems that I'm not the only one who have problem with this because here is an asset to solve this issue:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/41707

And another issue is that it is currently impossible to detect when teh user hits the "done" button.

Is there any solution for this bug?

4. GravyGaming

GravyGaming

Hey,

The same problem two years later. Unity team, please any position from you!?

5. Allah_420

Allah_420

If anyone interested, this problem is still not solved... 2019 on the calendar)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  6. milesmajefski

milesmajefski

Still a problem in Unity 2019.1.8f1. This is not normal mobile behavior, any chat or email app on Android detects touches when the keyboard is open.

7. sanketrandive

sanketrandive

Does anybody solve this...?

8. Saulius

Saulius

Have the same problem. I bet client wont be happy about it. And seems there is no way to fix this... Using unity 2019.1.4

9. sangnv00452

sangnv00452

Hello, anybody here?
    I need answer for this problem too :(

10. Yakirbu

Yakirbu

This is not a normal behavior, I've seen many games and apps that bypass this limitation that Unity has.
    Why is this thread silenced?

11. Gokcan

Gokcan

I started to hate the way unity handles keyboard. I simply want to add a chatting mechanics to my game like simple whatsup. No way. Keyboard is keep closing. No UI response while keyboard is open. I want to tag some staff about this. Maybe @phil-Unity

Ardito92ITA and Alex_F like this.
  12. Unity3dteacher

Unity3dteacher

same issue occurring here also

13. jiraphatK

jiraphatK

I also have this same problem. Please help me! My boss hate this ux and I can't find any work around. :(

14. Unity3dteacher

Unity3dteacher

same issue unity only want to solve this .my boss also dont like this

15. eclipse130300

eclipse130300

Same issue as well! Android keyboard works terribly at any circumstances. It doesn't return area, work with ui and so on.
    About this topic - try to open chat in Hearthstone (as I know it's developed via unity) when keyboard is opened you CAN press back button. Does anyone know how to achieve it? Are there HS developers around? :)
    P. S. btw the keyboard won't be closed until you press back button. May be try to keep a keyboard on the screen?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  16. Henry_Xie

Henry_Xie

Same issue and it's almost 2021:( Does anybody solve the problem?

17. Unity3dteacher

Unity3dteacher

no still its a issue.

18. AlphSa

AlphSa

same issue here. Any ideas how to solve it yet?

19. Synthol67

Synthol67

I have already the same problem. I need also a solution. Our Customer can't use our app because of this behavior

20. jiraphatK

jiraphatK

The only solution right now is to use custom plugin(Advanced inputfield 2) on asset store.
    Even if Unity finish implementing it today, this change require an engine change and will not be back port to LTS version.
    I doubt they will finish it anytime soon if not ever. I saw a PR in the new inputsytem about touch screen keyboard. It seemed like they are trying to move the touch screen keyboard to the new system altogether(which will also not be finishing anytime soon).

21. xaldin-76

xaldin-76

(Might be deprecated) (Probably needs some tweaking for ios)

After many weeks I have finally created an acceptable solution: https://github.com/hesham-akmal/AnubisInputField

It's a modified version of this custom android plugin: https://github.com/mopsicus/UnityMobileInput

For now it only works with TMP input field as it inherits from TMP_InputField. Basically on selecting an input field, it will not show up the default unity's keyboard, instead it will create an android native EditText out of screen bounds (invisible). Then focus on that edit text which will show up native keyboard (which does not contain unity's keyboard invisible blocking screen ). When adding/removing characters in the invisible edit text, it will sync to unity's input field. The caret position is also synced now. There are more features such as letting keyboard on screen unless manually closed (android/ios).

There's also a menu item "GameObject > Anubis > Replace all Tmp_InputFields with AnubisInputFields", to convert all TMP_InputFields in loaded scene automatically. While copying serialized data of course.
    Tested with Editor versions 2019.4.22 and 2020.3

I will write up a documentation on the github repo soon. Everyone is welcome to try it :)

Edit 24/Aug/2021:
    Thanks for everyone who is using my asset. Sadly I have got tired of maintaining this solution myself. I gave up and got the advanced input field 2 asset which does exactly like Anubis field. Link: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/advanced-input-field-2-185464

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  22. syedali

syedali

xaldin-76 likes this.
  23. ReneSchleese

ReneSchleese

So far I tested it only on my Android phone, but @HeshamAkmal s solution works! Good job!

xaldin-76 likes this.
  24. kaan0550

kaan0550

xaldin-76 likes this.
  25. ReneSchleese

ReneSchleese

26. AtahanOzturk

AtahanOzturk

Hi @ReneSchleese It seems the page you linked to has the exact property that this solution needs. However in Unity 2020.3.15 for some reason TouchScreenKeyboard.Android does not exist :(
    TouchScreenKeyboard' does not contain a definition for 'Android'

Any idea how your colleague used this?

27. lewpie97

lewpie97

I'm not very clear but if I remember correctly it only works on 2020.2

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  28. 2ez4tt

2ez4tt

marcozakaria likes this.
  29. marcozakaria

marcozakaria

Code (CSharp):
    1.     TouchScreenKeyboard.Android.consumesOutsideTouches = false;
    fixed my issue , now can move between multiple inputs easly

30. ebobo225

ebobo225

I don't remember how, but I managed to do it with m_keyboard.active = true in the lateupdate loop.

31. RahmatAli_Noob

RahmatAli_Noob

Hi There, I Have used It But in My Case when I try to Click outside of the touchscreen keyboard, I cannot click on the Any Other UI And also the touchscreen keyboard is Not Closing by clicking outside of the touchscreen keyboard.
    If there is Any details, Will you please explain it to me
    Thanks In Advance.

Ardito92ITA likes this.