Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Input Manager Sensitivity should apply to digital devices only ?

Discussion in 'Input System' started by uani, Mar 17, 2023.

1. uani

uani

Hi,

i haven't used the Input Manager for a while but for a new Unity Project it still is the default input method.

The Sensitivity from my understanding of its tooltip applies to digital devices such as keyboard keys only and is the speed with which the internal representation of the Input moves from 0 to 1 when the digital input is activated. Eg. 5 Sensitivity means the internal representation would move to 5 within 1 second, or to 1 within 1/5 = .2 seconds. (0 being off and 1 being on and analog devices would deliver an "exact" value from 0 to 1 and for digital it depends on the Sensitivity and duration the digital input is activated,

Input.GetAxis("thatInputAxis")

returns the "internal representation" as a float from 0 to 1.)

In Unity 2023.1.b7 however, when I increase the Sensitivity to X > 1, my analog joysticks axis is saturated at already 100% / X of its range. Ie. in Windows Game Control panel the joystick axis preview shows correctly the full range but

Input.GetAxis("thatInputAxis")

returns 1 already at 33% elongation when Sensitivity is 3

If this is as intended, ignore this report.

Addendum: an axis range is from -1 to 1 but I used only the positive value or elongation in the positive direction above.

2. uani

uani

reminding bump