Search Unity

InitializeUnityExtensions: Must have a valid path for plugin[1]

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by I-am-luka, Dec 21, 2016.

1. I-am-luka

I-am-luka

Unity 5.5 got out, I was excited and updated my project from 5.4.3f1 to 5.5.0f3 and didn't made a backup. When I start my project there is those errors in the console :
    InitializeUnityExtensions: Must have a valid path for plugin[X]

Extension was not registered, that means it relies on default UnityExtensions settings, please register extension and apply neccessary settings for it in the callback.

Each of them are repeted 10 times. When I start playing in the editor, even with all scripts disable, the editor disappear without giving me the possibility to report this bug.

ImageLink :http://imgur.com/a/U2vx5

2. Igorexa

Igorexa

I get same problem.

3. f1chris

f1chris

Same here too. Seems to be a new problem introduced in 5.5 , at least for me.

4. GHSmediaSrl

GHSmediaSrl

we get same issue Unity 5.5.0 p1, someone found fix or meaning?

5. JoergLange

JoergLange

The same on 5.5.0f3.

Can't believe there isn't even a small hint, even about a meaning of this stuff?

6. JoergLange

JoergLange

Because of another problem I had to do a "Reimport All" and this solved this problem too. No idea if that is the only way, but it worked.

7. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Alright, it looks like this has been fixed in 5.6.

The error is caused by importers which have a zero length asset path name. This happens when you have a Unity version installed with an addon, it's calling for an asset's physical location, and if you save the project and open with a Unity version without the addon it will return an empty string since the physical location of this asset doesn't exist. So in the fix in 5.6 Unity will skip initialization for these plugins. If you later add the addon, upon project opening it will return a valid path and settings for it will be initialized.

neverain and JoergLange like this.
  8. eTech3D

eTech3D

Last time I checked 5.6 will be released in Mach 2017, and because of this issue on 5.5.0p3 I had to download 5.6.0b3 but my computer hangs when trying to open my big size project.

Also, I noticed in General that starting around the middle of Unity 4 Cycle and increasing for Unity 5 cycle, I see many version numbers popping up in the forums for people are asking for solutions , and I get the feeling for me that upgrading to a newer version will most probably break something in my project. I know it is a hard-work Unity engineers are doing, and hopefully Unity find a way to add new features and fixes without breaking previously achieved milestones.

Also, I with that downgrading from one sub-version of Unity to a lower one is achievable, since sometimes after upgrading and working for a while, I discover some issue then if I want to use my backup I will need to redo what I did.

9. f1chris

f1chris

I agree with @eTech3D

Developing with the first few beta versions of 5.5 caused me a bunch of other unexpected problems , at least until things stabilized a bit.

No chance this can be fix in next few 5.5 updates or any suggested workaround ?

10. eTech3D

eTech3D

@SaraCecilia Any Update? Is there a bug number submitted to vote for it?

11. JoergLange

JoergLange

March 2017? OMG!
    Is there no other fix / idea?

Developing on 2 computers here (mac and pc) and everytime, I move the project from pc to mac or vice versa I get those extension-problem and have to reimport all to fix it (which takes very long)... this is annoying...

12. JoergLange

JoergLange

Which "addon" do you mean? I have two identical Unity installations on mac and pc and this problem occurs everytime I move the project from pc to mac or vice versa. I never installed (as far as I know!) any "Addon"... So at the moment I don't get the problem...

13. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Any type of extension/plugin to the editor. I'm trying to get ahold of the developer to see what the plans are for backporting to 5.5, it's taking a bit longer atm due to the holidays.

Edit:

No plans for backporting atm. Is this issue affecting your project currently besides listing those errors in the console?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  14. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Not public on issue tracker, just tracked internally. Is this affecting your project right now other than the console listing those errors? There are no plans for backporting at the moment and the error should not be causing any harm, but let me know if this is not the case.

At the moment you are not able to enter Play mode without the editor crashing, am I understanding this correctly? This issue is not supposed to affect your project or the editor, so I need to double check with you all if this is not the case.

15. vovo801

vovo801

I had the same issue.
    For me, personally, it happened this way: I had a project that I was working on in Unity 5.5beta-something. I upgraded to Unity 5.5f3. Everything went well, I saved my project.
    But I still had an old shortcut to Unity 5.5beta and opened my project in beta instead. So, when I opened the same project with beta, I got these errors. Luckily, I made backup.
    When I fixed all the shortcuts and opened the project with 5.5f3, everything was working properly, as expected.
    Do not know if it`ll help someone, just wanted to share my experience with this error.

16. JoergLange

JoergLange

I'm able to fix it with a "Reimport all". This takes quite a while but it works everytime. After the reimport the console is empty and I'm able to start the project inside the editor.

Have to do this every day because I work on a pc half the day and later I move to a mac, next day to pc again. The change from pc to mac is the problem, mac to pc seems to work.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm using version 5.5.0f3 Personal and have been transferring my folder between a Win7 and Win10 computer when I see these problems. I tried the Reimport all command and this worked for me as well. My guess this may have something to do with the Assembly-CSharp.csproj file in the root folder, since I've been seeing some error messages with it's name in it.

18. I-am-luka

I-am-luka

Yes the editor crash everytime I try to enter playmode. One thing sure it's that it's related to the 5.5 update since it works perfectly on 5.3 and 5.4

19. eTech3D

eTech3D

After installing and trying multiple versions of Unity 5, I reverted back to Unity 5.4.3p4, but my scene is missing the names of the objects. So, I started from scratch by importing the only necessary assets and I'll try to keep the project size to a minimum.

But, I have a question; if someone asks me "What version of Unity 5 I shall use, that is stable and builds projects with no errors?", I do not know what to tell him; because there are many Unity versions and subversions and many Unity Patches. This was not the case with Unity 2,3 or 4.

For me, especially with the subscription plan of Unity is ongoing, getting a stable and build-proof version is better than releasing subversions and patches with new small sets of features. Unity ,with subscription and a huge community, does not need to hurry to release a MAJOR version every one or 2 years like Unity 2,3 and 4. You can combine feature-sets and release them after extensive testing.

I know that Unity is doing great job to be available on many platforms as an editor and as a player, but no one can master everything.

20. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

I'm talking to the team to get a backport of this fix for 5.5 in place, but in order to get this moving we will now need bug reports from you all as well. Let me know the report numbers once you've submitted the reports.

21. andersemil

andersemil

Case 869307

SaraCecilia likes this.
  22. ekt

ekt

I get the same console warning. I migrated from 5.5.0p1 to 5.5.0p3
    No crashes, everything works normally
    For me the change was I've selected also WebGL module when installing 5.5.0p3

I get this in the logs
    Initializing Unity extensions:
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityHoloLens/Editor/UnityEditor.HoloLens.dll' GUID: 12fd8a0055b84bb59e84c9835a37e333
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityAnalytics/UnityEngine.Analytics.dll' GUID: 852e56802eb941638acbb491814497b0
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/GUISystem/Standalone/UnityEngine.UI.dll' GUID: f70555f144d8491a825f0804e09c671c
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/GUISystem/UnityEngine.UI.dll' GUID: f5f67c52d1564df4a8936ccd202a3bd8
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/Networking/Standalone/UnityEngine.Networking.dll' GUID: dc443db3e92b4983b9738c1131f555cb
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/Networking/Editor/UnityEditor.Networking.dll' GUID: 5f32cd94baa94578a686d4b9d6b660f7
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityAnalytics/Editor/UnityEditor.Analytics.dll' GUID: 86f4de9468454445ac2f39e207fafa3a
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityHoloLens/Runtime/UnityEngine.HoloLens.dll' GUID: f7b54ff4a43d4fcf81b4538b678e0bcc
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/TreeEditor/Editor/UnityEditor.TreeEditor.dll' GUID: adebbd281f1a4ef3a30be7f21937e02f
    InitializeUnityExtensions: Must have a valid path for the plugin [17]

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/AssetPipeline/UnityExtensions.cpp Line: 196)

'' <No initialization callback> GUID: 00000000000000000000000000000000
    Extension was not registered, that means it relies on default UnityExtensions settings, please register extension and apply necessary settings for it in the callback.

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/AssetPipeline/UnityExtensions.cpp Line: 230)

'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/EditorTestsRunner/Editor/UnityEditor.EditorTestsRunner.dll' GUID: 3c0ad459c1534645b5d603b7cc258f97
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/Networking/UnityEngine.Networking.dll' GUID: 870353891bb340e2b2a9c8707e7419ba
    InitializeUnityExtensions: Must have a valid path for the plugin [20]

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/AssetPipeline/UnityExtensions.cpp Line: 196)

'' <No initialization callback> GUID: 00000000000000000000000000000000
    Extension was not registered, that means it relies on default UnityExtensions settings, please register extension and apply necessary settings for it in the callback.

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/AssetPipeline/UnityExtensions.cpp Line: 230)

'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/PlaymodeTestsRunner/UnityEngine.PlaymodeTestsRunner.dll' GUID: 53ebcfaa2e1e4e2dbc85882cd5a73fa1
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/Advertisements/Editor/UnityEditor.Advertisements.dll' GUID: 97decbdab0634cdd991f8d23ddf0dead
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityVR/Editor/UnityEditor.VR.dll' GUID: 4ba2329b63d54f0187bcaa12486b1b0f
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityHoloLens/RuntimeEditor/UnityEngine.HoloLens.dll' GUID: 1c6d1fbb51834b64847b1b73a75bfc77
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityVR/RuntimeEditor/UnityEngine.VR.dll' GUID: 307433eba81a469ab1e2084d52d1a5a2
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityVR/Runtime/UnityEngine.VR.dll' GUID: 6cdf1e5c78d14720aaadccd4c792df96
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/GUISystem/Editor/UnityEditor.UI.dll' GUID: 80a3616ca19596e4da0f10f14d241e9f
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/PlaymodeTestsRunner/Editor/UnityEditor.PlaymodeTestsRunner.dll' GUID: 4113173d5e95493ab8765d7b08371de4
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityPurchasing/UnityEngine.Purchasing.dll' GUID: 8e0cd8ed44d4412cbe0642067abc9e44
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/EditorTestsRunner/Editor/nunit.framework.dll' GUID: 7cbab2be89b54486bbd23a6fe637d30e
    'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/Advertisements/UnityEngine.Advertisements.dll' GUID: 739bbd9f364b4268874f9fd86ab3beef
    Load scene 'Assets/MrB-Levels/A1_Win.unity' time: 0.024540 ms
    Unloading 181 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
    System memory in use before: 27.9 MB.
    System memory in use after: 28.0 MB.

23. CrankyPeacock

CrankyPeacock

I have started getting this error in 5.5.0p4.

But I can confirm I can still run and build the application successfully (building to iOS).

24. hydrix

hydrix

I was getting this and tried the "reimport all" to no success, it's complaining about my WebSocketSharp dll....

what worked was doing "import asset" from the right click menu of the Project window then selecting the dll. It places a copy in the main root of the project. From what I read somebody else had to leave the original in addition to this, but that prevents a build (duplicate script error) and I got it to work by deleting the original.

The other solution was to switch to 5.6 BETA (out now) which fixes this however I can't do this because it seems 5.6 broke my SendMessage function for WebGl.... edit: they changed it to gameInstance.SendMessage or something

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  25. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Just to make sure I understand this correctly;
    - the 'extensions' this error mentions is about the internal Unity extensions, right? Nothing about my plugins not working or something?
    - there is nothing that should alarm me seeing this error, right? All seems to work correctly for me, but I do get this error on starting up Unity every time.

26. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

It shouldn't affect your plugins or project, you should just be seeing these error messages. However, it seems that certain users are experiencing crashes, which is why we need their bug reports to investigate their specific cases.

_Adriaan likes this.
  27. hoesterey

hoesterey

I just had this happen and OpenVR will no longer connect to unity.

28. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Ok, I may need to speak with a different team regarding this. Did you have a bug report nr?

29. hoesterey

hoesterey

I don't have time to create another test project and my project is about 50 gigs, sorry. It seams like a widespread issue though judging by this thread. Deleting the libraries and rebuilding fixed the problem

30. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

I have the same problems---Unity 5.4x had me lulled in feeling good again, updating because it would improve stuff rather then break stuff-----Unity 5.5x is sucky , more of a beta then a release--- has errors without real hints regarding plugins popping up in 2 projects I am working on, and if playing fullscreen in Unity sometimes the game goes to pause for no apparent reason in both projects that worked well before.
    Plus I had a scene corrupted after saving and closing normally-- when reopening Unity would not start without crash until I renamed the current scene in the project.

I will be rolling back I fear, but trying to do "Reimport all" right now hoping that that fixes it.

Edit: "Reimport all"" did the job, now it works again.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  31. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

The errors went away for me after deleting the Library folder from the project. (Which you can always safely do.)

32. gferrand_UofM

gferrand_UofM

I had the same problem after upgrading from 5.5.0 to 5.5.1, even for a very simple test project. I have not installed any addon to the editor, and I have no clue what the cryptic error messages are referring to. Reimporting the entire project fixed the problem.

33. NathanAP

NathanAP

I just imported a simple project from a backup and got it too. After I run it hides, but it appears everytime I reopen Unity. Im using 5.5.1f1 Personal.

34. Minemega_19

Minemega_19

I have fix this issue with Uninstall / Reinstall Unity + Reimport All. ^^

35. OsamaDeep

OsamaDeep

this occur when i moved PC project to Mac ( unity 5.5.1p1 ) then Upgrade the unity to ( 5.5.1p4 ) .
    reimport all assets solve the problem.
    No Need to do anything else.

Cromfeli likes this.
  36. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

Confirm

37. 0_oPavel

0_oPavel

Assets -> Reimport All :p

38. Albertinio

Albertinio