Search Unity

[InitializeOnLoad] called during asset import since 2018?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by LazloBonin, Jul 12, 2018.

1. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

I'm investigating a lot of different user reported issues for my plugin Bolt that seem to happen during import and appear to start after Unity 2018.x.

I do my initialization code uising [InitializeOnLoad] attributes. From my understanding, this attribute calls static type initializers on assembly reload, that is:
    • When the editor starts
    • When entering play mode
    • When the project recompiles
    • After an import of new DLLs
    I think all of my recent issues are coming from that last item. From the symptoms, it seems that importing multiple DLLs causes multiple assembly reloads after each DLL instead of a single assembly reload at the end.

This is a breaking change for my plugin (and I'm guessing many others!) because I can't guarantee that the my initialization code will work unless all assemblies are properly loaded.

So my questions are:
    • Was this change in the behaviour of assembly reload documented anywhere?
    • Is there a way of detecting that the Unity editor is currently importing assets?
    If I could answer that second one, I could just skip initialization during asset import and wait for an actual full reload at the end.

2. PsyKaw

PsyKaw

3. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Ah! This does seem to do the trick, but it also returns true after all DLLs have been loaded (or when the last DLL is loaded). So if I skip my initialization while isUpdating returns true, it won't initialize after a recompile or an import. :/

4. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

I take that back. EditorApplication.isUpdating sometimes returns false during asset import when opening the project, so it's entirely unreliable for me at the moment.

Was there any change in the import/assembly load behaviour since 2018? A lot of my users are reporting issues that seem to stem from there.