Search Unity

Initial research into game development (a few questions)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GreyDog, Oct 15, 2005.

1. GreyDog

GreyDog

Hello, I'm an arborist by trade and a hobbyist webdeveloper/graphic artist. I've recently taken up 3D modeling (Blender) and this has peaked my interest in developing a game of my own. In googeling for the tools, knowledge and other aspects need for the task I came across your fine program.

While I fully intend to dig deeper into Unity I do have a few questions I couldn't find answers to in the two hours I've been been here looking around.

The game I have in mind will be either a sea based or space based rpg/adventure type game, loosely based on the old "Uncharted Waters" series from KOEI (wonderful game) I am curious if some of the features can be done within your editor and how difficult it would be for the almost absolute beginner to achieve (I know 2 or 3 web languages depending if you concider css a language :wink:)

Some of the things I'd like to have:

1) A comprehensive trading system. I am not sure if another engine is needed for this or if it is something easily created within Unity.

2) A geographicaly correct world map that would support hundreds of cities, beaches, reefs etc. All locations marked via actual latitude/longitude coordinates.

3) A 3 dimentional space chart (aka "Ascendancy") that would support hundreds of planets and other locations. (I'd develop a coordnate system for it)

I have many, many more but I'll stop here as these are my main "A list" items.

thanks in advance!

2. GreyDog

GreyDog

Thank you for all the helpful tips and comments. I merely wanted to find out what this thing could handle on the high end before I committed myself to learning it :wink:

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Sorry for not having responded earlier.

1. This is certainly possible in unity, for example our game development branch (www.www.seriousgames.dk) is making a game which has a political simulator. All of that is written in C# but could just as well be written in Javascript. The Main task in writing a trade simulator will be finding good set of rules and abstraction. If you are new to programming, it will be best to start with a very simple model. You can always make it more complex later on.

2. and 3. I presume you want to just enter the location of your objects in some custom coordinate system and then place them programmatically based on that?

You could import every of your cities, beach, reef as one imported prefab and then have a javascript which has a link to the prefab and your custom made coordinate. Then on Awake () you Instantiate the prefab by converting from your custom coordinate system to a normal x, y, z position.

You will want to make yourself more familiar with Javascript. A very good introduction tutorial to Javascripting in unity is the
    Scripting Tutorial.pdf next to Unity.

4. GreyDog

GreyDog

Thank you Joachim.

I think I have an idea of what you're saying here but I'm not sure what you mean by "abstraction" could you possibly clarify what that is?

Aye, the locations would be placed as you stated, the seachart being two dimensional and the starchart being three. But what you are saying is that the number of ports, beaches planets, spacestations etc. are more a matter of storage space then they are a strain on memory?

I've been introducing myself to this stuff by modding "Pirates of the Carribbean" which is written in "C" and am finding it isn't as mysterious as it first seamed. I've heard that js is actually an easier language to learn so that sounds like a bonus! There are plenty of tutorials out here on the web I'll definately be taking your advice :wink:

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The memory requirements heavily depend on how detailed you want your beach to be.

Eg. Do you want to be able to have a character walk on the beach and then have 100's of those? Is it just a small image that shows the beach on the map?

If you represent every beach as 1 mesh, it shouldn't be a problem to have a couple of hundred of them in one scene.

6. GreyDog

GreyDog

aye, the world map I have in mind is basically an actual chart with images representing the locations ..eg. some locations would only appear as a simple "x marks the spot" and a name. Second layer would be a "crows nest" view with locations represented by small models. (ie. "Cutthroats") and the final layers being a battle view (ashore and at sea) and an "in town" or "on land" view(3rd person).

Other features Ive thought of are things like random character generators for NPC's, random quest generators and things that will be running in the background like the trade system, convoys, military/pirate patrols etc.

I see this as needing lots of memory (and probably several years to complete) so what I am doing is trying to assess if this is a project that is doable for a noob like me and what tools I'd need to realize it.

thanks again.

7. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

This project seems to me to be on a very large scale... What I would recommend would be to focus of one area first (top-level strategic, local battles, whatever), and get each part done before doing the rest.

If you do it like this, you get some success points in your multi-year development effort (which you'll need), and once you have one part of the game running, you will also be able to attract other developers if you so desire.

In short, start with the simplest piece, get it done, then expand from there