Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[InfinityPBR] Dragons Pack PBR - Customization | Concept Art | Sound FX | Music (25% off!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by infinitypbr, Sep 4, 2015.

1. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Thanks for pointing that out. I have a fixed .sbsar file here. Best bet is to download it, and then replace the old version in your project outside of Unity -- do it before you load unity.

I'll be updating the project on my site too.

2. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

That seems to have stopped all the other sliders from working.
    So if I color the body red now the Underside, underwing, etc doesn't do anything

3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Weird. I've rebuilt the file, please download it again (same link)

4. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

5. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

6. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

7. wbailey79

wbailey79

I'm very interested in several of your assets, but I'm on the fence about making a purchase just yet.

Will these work in Unity 2018?

8. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yep!

Texture customization has to be done in 2017, but everything else is just standard file types

wbailey79 likes this.
  9. wbailey79

wbailey79

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. I will be making my first purchase later today after work.

JBR-games and infinitypbr like this.
  10. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

After downloading RPG Character Pack #1, the "SFB_Dragon_TextureCreation" demo scene is broken. It has multiple missing script errors and looks like this:

upload_2019-9-17_11-41-4.png

11. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

The human texture scene is even worse: it's missing the prefabs for the human characters entirely!

upload_2019-9-17_11-48-43.png

12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hi!
    You'll need to get the "Customization" files from www.InfinityPBR.com, as they'll have the .sbsar materials that are missing.

Keep in mind, the .sbsar materials will only work in 2017.x and below. You can get the "Substance in Unity" plugin for 2018.x and above, but my scripts won't work with that. By the end of the year, I'll be removing all the customization in the engine, as Substance Painter provides far more (and higher quality) options, and the customization is starting to cause more confusion than I think it's worth. Plus 2017.x will be ancient by 2020 :D

13. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

...so wait. Are you're saying that there's no way to make these models I just paid good money for actually work in the current version of Unity?

14. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The models work fine -- the texture customization within Unity works in 2017.x and below. However, those aren't run-time scripts, they're just there to make some changes to the textures if you want. The Substance Painter source files on my site are a much better way to customize textures though.

The texture customization files are only required to customize textures. The dragon and all the other features/components do not require that.

JBR-games likes this.
  15. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Fair enough. Any idea what to do about all the missing scripts?

16. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

On the Downloads page of my site, there's a section called "Get These: Customization Files for Unity" -- try downloading those, they may be the missing scripts.

17. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Something is very weird here. I just dropped the dragon demo prefab from Assets\SFBayStudios\SFB Dragon\Game Ready Files\Prefabs into my scene, and it's a hazy, detail-less mess unless it's less than about 10 units away from the camera, as if the entire thing were shrouded in fog.

I'm working on scenes at a scale measured in thousands of units. I can make the dragon look great if I pull it incredibly close to the camera and turn its scale down, so there's no actual problem in rendering the detailed textures; it just seems to be controlled by some arbitrary number somewhere.

This almost feels like an LOD thing, but neither the base dragon prefab nor any of its components appears to have LODs defined.

How do I fix this?

(Also, the prefab contains bodies for male and female dragon riders, but neither one comes with a head! o_0)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  18. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

I just checked. There's a package for older versions of Unity (nothing for a modern version) and all it contains is a bunch of .js files. Are those even supported anymore?

19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

They are supported in 2017.x yes. Again, unity dropped native support for sbsar files after 2017.x, so all of my customization files don’t woke after that. Rewriting them in c# wouldn’t fix it.

20. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Can you post a screenshot of this effect?

21. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Camera's position is (0, 3000, 0), looking straight down. Have a look at the Position and Scale numbers in the images that follow.

This is where I want the dragon to be positioned, and it looks like this:
    upload_2019-9-27_8-51-43.png

At 10 units' distance, it's still really bad:
    upload_2019-9-27_8-53-57.png

At 5, some detail begins to emerge:
    upload_2019-9-27_8-55-8.png

But it's not until the dragon is squashed right up against the near clipping plane that it actually looks right:
    upload_2019-9-27_8-58-0.png

22. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Looks like your fog settings may be causing this. Are there other models in the scene? I've noticed that affect before when fog is present -- it doesn't affect areas where the camera sees no mesh, which would explain the black.

JBR-games likes this.
  23. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Argh, that was exactly the problem: Fog was turned on by default. Turning it off fixed it.

Thanks!

infinitypbr likes this.
  24. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Working on animating the dragon now. I like the "flyGlide" pose, but I'm trying to move it procedurally and the forward motion built into the animation is screwing it up. I made a copy of the animation and tried changing its movement on Dragon Root to 0, but now I can't apply that back to the original model.

I'm new to the whole Unity Animations thing. How do I make it pose without moving?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I have to go into the Animator component and uncheck "Apply Root Motion".

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    infinitypbr likes this.
  25. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Just updated to the latest version of Unity (2019.2.6f1) and upon updating my project, I get several dozen warnings in the console about various files from RPG Character Pack #1 having animation or rigging problems. Any idea what's going on here?

26. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Nope! Can you show a screenshot?

27. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

No, unfortunately. I've hit Play since then and it cleared the console, and now closing and re-opening doesn't bring up the same list of issues.

28. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hopefully that's a one time thing then? I know Unity sometimes throws errors that get cleared away.

29. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Yeah, I hope that's all it is.

30. medelba

medelba

Hello,
    first of all, amazing work!

I have purchased The Dragons Pack, but there is a thing I didn't understood. In the prefab of the dragon I see a FemaleBody that rides the dragon. How can i change this object with a mine rigged humanoid prefab?

Thanks!

infinitypbr likes this.
  31. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

You can turn off / delete that if you'd like. It's a placeholder of sorts. There are "Dragon Rider" animations that may work for you available at my site (register your purchase for download). they're not something I can help with if they don't work, but should work for most humanoid rigs.

32. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

What's the best way to put colliders on a dragon so I don't clip through it while walking around with the standard FPS character controller?

Apparently you can't attach a mesh collider to a skinned mesh renderer, but the dragon's body is too irregular in shape to easily build with primitive colliders. (The wings are the big problem. They're part of the body rather than being separate GameObjects, so you can't give them their own box colliders that will move as the wings do.)

Collision detection is kind of important, so... how do you accomplish this?

33. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

It really depends on the project. One method could be to do a recast forward, and if there's a "Dragon" in front of the character, some arbitrary distance, don't let them move forward.

Another, if it's possible for the project, is to make it so that the character simply can't go all the way around -- they're blocked, so that you only have to deal with keeping them from colliding in one direction.

A technique I use in the games I've made is to have the enemies do a walk-backward motion if the player gets too close. If the player is fast, it may not work as well, but generally it keeps the player from getting too close.

34. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

The dragon and human dragon rider models share most of the same animations, which are clearly meant to be used together, but somehow I can't find the "mount" and "dismount" animations for the dragon.

I could swear I've seen them before. The mount one, at least, makes the dragon duck and crouch down to be easier to climb onto. But now I can't find it anywhere. Do you know where to find it?

35. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Interesting question -- off the top of my head, I know you can find them in the Unreal Animations via the downloads at InfinityPBR.com. There's no difference, just that the animations are standalone, they should work fine. Let me know how that goes?

36. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Just downloaded that, and I don't see animations named "mount" or "dismount" in the package.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  37. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

...anything?

I've got the mount/dismount animations for the rider, but the ones for the dragon just seem to have vanished.

38. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

sorry forgot to check — I think the names may be different, perhaps “dragon Down” and “dragon up”?

I can check later when I’m on my computer

39. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

They were there all along. Here are the frames, attached.

I'll update the pack probably sometime today, re-adding those to the animation list. You can add them yourself if you'd like - -select the dragon model, and at the bottom of the animation list that exists, press the "+" Button. Name the animation and set the start/end frames, and you should be all good.

Attached Files:

MasonWheeler likes this.
  40. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

That worked, thanks!

infinitypbr likes this.
  41. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Well, that *mostly* worked.

After losing a bunch of time fighting with event scripting, I'm able to get the rider to mount the dragon successfully. Now I'm at the point of building a dragon rider animation controller. Almost all of the dragon's animations have a rider counterpart, which seem to be intended to run together to keep the two characters in sync, but there aren't any rider animations to match the dragon's various takeoff and landing animations.

What's the proper way to deal with this?

42. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Try the "Human-Only "Dragon Rider" animations" download from my site -- it's in the Dragon section.

43. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Just looked at that, and it doesn't look like it has takeoff or landing animations at all, either for the rider or the dragon.

44. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

45. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

That has one big long animation in it.

To be clear, what I mean by "animations" here is the animation objects you drag onto a node in the animator. The movements I need may well be in there somewhere, but they don't exist as separate anim objects, and they aren't listed in the frame guide you posted earlier so I can't create the anims at my end.

46. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Try this one: http://www.infinitypbr.com/files/HumanDragonRider.unitypackage

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 3.57.41 PM.png

47. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Same problem. There are no animations here for the takeoff and landing.

Specifically, the dragon's animation controller (\Assets\SFBayStudios\SFB Dragon\Game Ready Files\Animators\Dragon Demo (v5).controller) contains animations named "Idle Takeoff", "Run Takeoff", "Idle Landing", "Run Landing", and "Run Landing Run", which are sourced from \Assets\SFBayStudios\SFB Dragon\Game Ready Files\Models\Dragon_Master05 DEMO.fbx. I can't find rider animations to match those 5 in any of the downloads.

48. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

It could be that there never were any. It's been a long time since I stopped including the dragon rider animations as part of the package, and I don't actually remember if there were any.