Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[InfinityPBR] Dragons Pack PBR - Customization | Concept Art | Sound FX | Music (25% off!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by infinitypbr, Sep 4, 2015.

1. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Congratulations to user UltraTM who won our first Registration Contest!!

Each month we'll be choosing one user at random who registered a package on our site (http://www.InfinityPBR.com) and one who reviewed a package.

UltraTM has chosen to get the Dragon package FOR FREE :)

2. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi again,

Any idea when the rider animations are coming?

regards

infinitypbr likes this.
  3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hopefully soon -- the animator just told me she hopes to finish by Christmas, so maybe then.

4. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Downloads now available @ http://www.InfinityPBR.com!

Register your Dragon @ the site, and gain access to pre-exported textures and materials you can import into your project. Speeds up prototyping if you want to get to playing w/ the Dragon before creating your own texture designs!

There are 8 egg designs right now, and the default Dragon, with more to be added when I find the time to make them :)

5. olaowo

olaowo

Hi, Just bought your package great btw. I trying to decipher it for my project, i just want to know how get the dragon to breathe fire with the animation?

6. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Sorry for the delay, I got myself sick for a bit! :)

In our demo, we use an animation event, which calls a function to start the particle emission at a certain point in the animation, and another event that calls a function to stop the event.

I made a short tutorial video on Animation Events here: http://www.infinitypbr.com/scripts/hackingAnimationsAndMore.php

[
    In the Dragon demo, the particle is always on, just starts/stops the emission, vs the worm tutorial, which I think instantiates the particle for each use.]

7. carsenk

carsenk

Awesome Dragon! When will the Dragon Rider animations be finished? Would be awesome for using this model as a mount in game.

Just purchased it, was wondering how I would go about registering on your site? I couldnt find a link anywhere on infinitypbr.com

8. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

At the very very top there should be a grey bar -- did that show up? If not, what browser/OS are you using? It'll take you here: http://www.infinitypbr.com/login.php

Hopefully the rider animations will be done very very soon! The human in general is taking WAY longer than any of us had expected, but all the "generic" animations for it are done, and the "barbarian" animations (specific to the barbarian clothing / class that the human comes with) are half way done. After that should be the dragon rider animations. So...maybe a couple weeks. (MAYBE...I keep being told "in a few weeks", and then in a few weeks only a bit is done)

MrGky93 and carsenk like this.
  9. carsenk

carsenk

Perfect! I can't wait! :) I will be more than likely using the lower poly version for a mount in my game, so the animations would be helpful.

Your art is beautiful btw, a lot of detail and realism. I did want to put in a suggestion for whenever you finish the Dragon Rider animation, please start making UMA 2 armor sets (Unity Multipurpose Avatar) like for example awesome barbarian armor to match or even potentionally some Dragon Rider Armor :p, just ideas, thanks again awesome work!

10. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

UMA has been requested -- I've not yet had the time to look into it, but it *should* be feasible, I'd think. I just need more time in the day :D

MrGky93 and carsenk like this.
  11. MrGky93

MrGky93

My best game will come hope you make more awesome new models :)

12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

We'll have a bunch more coming once we get our Human + Barbarian set out...

Mummy: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-new-model-mummy-coming-soon.378859/
    Serpent Warrior: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-serpent-warrior.356255/
    Bomber Bug: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-bomber-bug-pack-part-of-monster-pack-2.368283/
    Flying Eye: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-monster-pack-2-flying-eye-slime.353636/
    Plant Monster: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-plant-monster-pbr.353412/
    Slime & more... :D

I
    f I can get a few more pieces done (it's been remarkably difficult to find a modeler to work with on this one), a Dungeon package as well: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-dungeon-procedural-pbr-assets.330081/

MrGky93 likes this.
  13. Johnny7s

Johnny7s

Hello! This pack looks amazing! I know basically nothing about this stuff, I'm just starting to play around with unity, so if this is really difficult to impossible, let me know.

I was just thinking about how cool it would be to have a vr first person game, where the vr player's head motion is mostly for looking around, the left stick (on a gamepad/controller) for the flight controls, then have the dragon's head aim exactly where the right stick is pointed, and breathe fire, fireballs as projectiles, etc.

Would that kind of control be possible or a huge problem in unity? You could have the "aiming dot" follow the right stick where the dragon is aiming,as you look around. You mentioned having to pay your animator, could the neck structure just follow a certain place, like a point in the dragons mouth that just follows the position of the right stick? Would that prevent motion sickness, while solving the problem of aiming with your head? I haven't tried vr yet, (tho a Samsung is in my near future) but I'm really not crazy about the notion of aiming with my head.

If you don't plan to do this, how hard would it be to get the dragon's head to follow the right stick on a controller?

Sorry if you discussed this earlier, lazy day... Thanks in advance, and again, nice work!

14. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Basically you're describing "Dragon Rider", the VR game I was working on that was the reason I produced the dragon in the first place. http://www.dragonridervr.com

Unfortunately the guy who was helping me with the project, as I have little time at the moment, decided the day after we early-access launched it on steam that he was quitting the project, completely screwing me over.

But the answer is yes, it's totally doable, and it's extremely fun to play.

EDIT: In ours the dragons head didn't rotate -- the magic comes from the rider, and the dragon would breath fire when appropriate, but on its own.

15. carsenk

carsenk

@sfbaystudios - How would I go about preventing the animations from moving from the root in legacy animation mode? I want to use the dragon with legacy animations, however all of the animations seem to move forward instead of staying in place like in generic animation mode, how do I make the dragon stay in place and do the animation in legacy mode?

16. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

On my phone right now but there should be a check box on the animations "use root motion". Uncheck that and it should stay in place

carsenk likes this.
  17. carsenk

carsenk

Yea let me know, I am not seeing "Use root motion" anywhere, only "Store in Root" if I select dont import then it doesnt load in the animations at all, if I click on an animation, all I see is what you see in the screenshot below:

18. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Maybe hats the wrong window -- find the model in "x_midels", and click the one with the white rectangle on the icon -- that's the main model. Click the animations tab in the inspector -- not each animation from the project window. I'll be able to get screenshots in a few hours when I get home

carsenk likes this.
  19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Ah -- my bad, it was in a much easier spot! In the Animator component attached to the model, "Apply Root Motion" is the check box. Uncheck that and it'll stop moving with the root motion :) Sorry I led you astray!

Andrew

Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 1.10.23 AM.png

carsenk likes this.
  20. carsenk

carsenk

I dont believe Animator can be used with Legacy animations, at least for my dragon I have to set it up with the Animation script from another script I am using, it does not have that option there in animation script, so is there somewhere to change it on the actual model and not from the script on the prefab?

21. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Well, you can change the mode of the dragon by selecting the main model file (in x_models), and changing "animation type" under the rig tab.

Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 3.44.00 PM.png

However, I'm not sure what you'er trying to achieve -- old animations should work in the animator, and these animations should work with the old legacy code (like animation.play or whatever it was).

22. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Doesn't mean to interfere but I think I have to chime in. If the model has animations with root motion baked then it's not possible to use these as on place in the legacy rig. You would need to have two sets of animations: all the animations movement as on place (for legacy rig set up) and their root motion variations ( for generic and humanoid). The legacy rig set up doesn't support root motion animations the same way as mecanim or humanoid do.

infinitypbr likes this.
  23. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I think he doesn't want root motion though. If he duplicates the animations (Select them in the project view, after expanding the tab on the main model, then use the "Duplicate" command under Edit), would those work?

24. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

yes, he doesn't want root motion within the legacy rig that he wants to use. Since your animation have root motion baked then he can't use them in legacy mode. His only solution is to edit the animation in a 3rd party modeling / animation software or use them by using the generic mode. Which I guess he wants to avoid because he already has scripts handling animations but just for the legacy mode.

25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Ah -- so in Legacy mode, there's no way to turn off Root motion? I'll see if we can get a different version exported. No promises on timeline though, cause the animator is always crazy busy :D

carsenk likes this.
  26. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I found this potential solution -- let me know if it works?

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/864716/disable-root-motion-in-legacy-humonoid-animation.html

carsenk likes this.
  27. carsenk

carsenk

Yea I think it needs to baked into the animation for legacy, I dont see that option either listed from the link, let me know if you find another solution, thanks for looking into it!

28. Nadan

Nadan

Hi, just purchased Dragon Pack PBR!

One question, how can I reduce the texture size for my mobile game? I tried LOD5 but the overall size is too big right now.

carsenk likes this.
  29. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Thanks!

After you've exported the maps that you'll be using in the game, you can select them in the project view -- and doing them all at once works, just select them all.

In the inspector, click the iPhone (and/or Android etc) tab at the bottom, select "Override for iPhone", and choose a new max size and format. I'm not sure what the big differences between the formats are, but it may help to figure out which is best for your platform.

The LODs are the number of polygons in the model -- generally LOD5 should only be used when the dragon is far from the viewer, otherwise they'll see the low poly.

textureresolution.jpg

30. Nadan

Nadan

Hi! This procedural texture baking is a new thing to me in Unity or is it just this asset? You learn new cool things everyday. :)

But I have problems exporting the textures. I choose SGB_DragonBody_v26 then from Windows > Save Texture and I get this error:

Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. SFB_Exporter.SFB_Export (UnityEditor.SubstanceImporter substanceImporter, UnityEngine.ProceduralMaterial[] substanceMaterials, System.String basePath, UnityEditor.SubstanceArchive substance, System.String code) (at Assets/SFBayStudios/Editor/SFB_Exporter.js:37)
    3. SFB_SaveTexture.SaveTexture () (at Assets/SFBayStudios/Editor/SFB_SaveTexture.js:23)
    There is also Save Texture 5.3.2+ not sore what the difference is to just Save Texture option.

In the folder I only get the one standard material file, but none of the textures are exported. In the YouTube tutorial video about textures I can see that the generated texture files are in the export folder also.

I have Unity 5.3.1p4 personal and Dragons Pack PBR 28.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  31. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Ah -- you'll need to upgrade to 5.3.2 at least. Unity introduced a nasty bug in 5.2 that broke all substance exports entirely. It was fixed, but the middle versions kept the bug. The fixes changed the behind-the-scene code so my script needed to change too, hence the two versions. It's best to delete the version you're not using so you can use the hot key. If you don't want to upgrade your main project, you can download the latest unity and use it specifically for creating and exporting the textures.

Substances have been around for a while, but haven't been used as much as people like me think they should. E power is insane, as I'm sure you've seen already, but ey do take a lot of setup before hand, as well as other applications that cost $$, which is probably why they're not heavily used.

32. Nadan

Nadan

Is 5.3.2 out yet? Latest patch I found was Patch 5.3.1p4.

33. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Looks like the OP wrote the wrong version and I just went with it -- the new version of the script is called "Save Texture 5.2.3+", and will work with version 5.2.3 and above, not 5.3.2 and above. The original version will continue to work in versions before 5.2.0.

34. Nadan

Nadan

Ok, I installed Unity 5.2.3p1 to my MacMini, made new project, imported the asset and baked textures there and got the textures that way.

Edit: ps. just wrote review to the asset store ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    infinitypbr likes this.
  35. Nadan

Nadan

Have you come up with this problem before with the body? Not sure what is causing this but it looks like there is something wrong with the body UV. The other wing and arm look like this.

This is LOD2 (Dragon_Master04_LOD2) with baked textures I did with "Save Texture 5.2.3+" but the problem remains with other LOD meshes as well. To have small file size I used Mobile Diffuse shader for all the other parts exept the head. So there is just a diffuse texture and I don't think that the missing normal, height etc. maps are causing this.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  36. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Looks like it's the bug where unity assigned the wrong metallic map to the material. Bring up the material and assign the correct metallicRoughness map and it should fix it.

In a later version this bug will be fixed, but for now it's not.

37. Archania

Archania

These look amazing. Awesome job.

38. olaowo

olaowo

to run the dragon in a scene takes about 2Gb of ram which makes it hard to do anything. Its a good assets duh! am new so am wondering if there is a way to reduce the quality so it uses less ram

39. jfalgout

jfalgout

Hey there! Is there any way to get the original Maya file/rig that was used to create the animations? Our team bought the package and we want to add/change some animations. It would be a huge help.

40. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

First question: Are you using standard shader materials? It's best to not use the procedural materials during run time -- they're set up for massive customization and won't run well at run time at all, will often crash the game.

Select your texture, and at the bottom of the inspector you'll see the "Max Size" and compression format. I'm not tip-top on compression formats, but for each of your platforms it's best to tune these to what looks right for you. In most cases the 2048 size may very well be too large -- you just may not need that kind of resolution.

And, if you're doing various colors, remember that each material may be able to share textures between them. If you have a Red & Blue dragon ,for instance, and everything else is the same between them, then each of those materials can have the same AO, MetalRough & Normal map.

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 1.39.18 PM.png

41. Nadan

Nadan

I don't know why, but the problem remains. And there shoudn't be any problem if there was, say one diffuce texture and very simplified shader. It looks like some issue with the models UV or Unity.

Anyway as a suggestion it would be great if the asset also had folder with pre baked textures (as PSD files for example) for people like me who are used to tweak the textures by hand with Photoshop and other software.

42. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

If you register at http://www.infinitypbr.com there are some downloads available -- right now the default look of the dragon and the egg are available. I put them there so that I can put a lot up (eventually, when I have time, maybe allow other people to upload their version), without making the size of the download ginormous.

43. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi again,

Its been two months since Christmas and yet the rider is not here :).

Any idea when the rider animations are coming?.

regards

44. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'm the most frustrated of all :)

But yes, a much better idea. Of all the human animations, all but the dragon rider are done. I can't do much of anything until that happens, so hopefully within a week I'll have final animations, and can put the packages together. ** These were supposed to be done in November or October or something, so this is a very very loose estimate. **

45. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Rider animations update!

We've been held up trying to figure out one problem, with the root of the character during the mount / dismount animations. Transitioning isn't as straight forward as I thought it would be.

Fortunately GDC exists, and just ended. The question was not readily solved -- many very smart Unity people didn't actually know how to fix it. This morning, one person suggested something that may work, as well as a fall-back that should work no problem, but isn't as ideal as I'd like.

So tonight I'll be testing these, and hopefully it'll get figured out!

Adrad likes this.
  46. mons00n

mons00n

Hi @sfbaystudios ; I just picked up this asset and it looks great! However, I am getting a null reference exception when trying to export my textures. The variable exportBitmaps is null on the Invoke() call (line 41 of SFB_Exporter_5_2_3.js). I am running Unity 5.3.4f on OSX 10.11.

infinitypbr likes this.
  47. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Ah yep -- so the substance exporting script was something I hacked together from an old forum post and the kind help from people on the Allegorithmic forums. It worked in pre 5.2. In 5.2-5.2.3 there was a bug within unity that make all exporting (even manual) break. They fixed it, but changed the things under the hood. Which is why there is a 5.2.3 version.

Unfortunately, they changed MORE in 5.3.4! I'm actually switching to 5.3.4 for all the packages as I update them because it's a much faster version when dealing with substances than the previous ones -- more stable and fast, overall a better deal.

However, they've said that 5.4 will feature more public exporting options. Idk if that means a built-in way of automatically making a Standard Shader material from the substance or just documented code, but hopefully that'll help us out. For now, until I can get someone from Allegorithmic to help me figure out what they changed within unity and their integration, the code doesn't work.

The manual method (surprisingly this isn't actually much slower, since the script, at least on my computer, always took a fairly long time to do the export vs this way) is...

* Select the material you want to export (the circle icon is fine, perhaps ideal, for this method)
    * Ensure "Export all Bitmaps" is checked. Unity may take a moment after this as it caches the new data.
    * In the top right, there's a small "Gear" icon, click it and choose either of the two Export Bitmaps options. I haven't found a difference between them, but I choose the 2nd one usually.
    * Choose where you want to export the maps. If you choose within your Assets folder somewhere, you may need to leave unity and then focus on the app again to force Unity to import the files. I generally export directly within my project.
    * Where ever you'd like, I suggest in the same folder as your textures, create a new Material for your textures, name it appropriately, and populate it:

AlbedoOpacity -> Albedo
    Normal -> Normal (click "Fix Now" when prompted to change the format from Texture to Normal Map)
    Ambient Occlusion -> Occlusion
    MetalRough -> Metal
    Height -> Height (although you probably shouldn't use a height map for the characters)

* Delete the rest of the maps to save disk space.

That's it. That's basically what the script does, so there's a couple more steps for you here, but it's not anything difficult or super annoying.

Also keep in mind that if you are exporting multiple color options, but not changing the roughness values, you can have each of your materials share the same Normal/AO/MetalRough maps -- only the AlbedoOpacity would need to change.

Hope that helps! And thank you for your support!!

48. mons00n

mons00n

AHH thank you. I tried doing an export but the tail/spikes were not exporting the MetalRough texture (was just giving me z_Rough, which gave me some weird results). If I get some time I'll look into converting your scripts to c# for you (no promises).

49. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The logic should be a 1:1 conversion.

The z_rough is just the roughness which unity wants to be inverted in the alpha of the metallic channel.

Officially it shouldn't have to be stated, but allegortichmic says its a bug of sorts. So for now I have to specify the metallicRoughness map, which (like albedo opacity) is precomputed with the inverse roughness in the alpha channel.

mons00n likes this.
  50. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Update on DRAGON RIDER animations.
    We had some trouble getting it to work the way I had wanted it to. It's important to me that the animations are realistic and seamless. However, mecanim and it's ways weren't being helpful to the whole mounting and dismounting and on-dragon animations. It just wasn't good enough.

So we're moving forward with a version where the dragon and human are animated together. One animation that contains the structure for both of them. We will probably be able to include human-only animations that can be used with other human models than our own, but you may face the same problems we had. Maybe not - if not, maybe ou can tell us how you did it!!

We're hoping that an "Equip Character" system will work -- this is similar to the feature of the same name in our upcoming Human Base + Barbarian Pack PBR. You'll basically drag on all the options you may want to use for your game to the base body of the dragon. So the dragon head you want, and the others, if you may switch them out in the game. The human -- male, female or both -- and all the clothing options you may use. Once you've got it populated with all the items you may want to use, the "Equip Character" script will basically make a fully rigged prefab with all those options ready to go. Game ready.

The benefit is that when we add new options -- more heads, more human heads, hair, or wardrobe -- you can simply add more to the prefab you're using in game, and the same script will "Equip" the new stuff to your prefab.

And the animations will be 100% seamless -- the rider will actually be riding on the dragon, stirrups and all, with no coding gimmicks to make it stay perfectly aligned.

It may still be a few more weeks to finish the animations and test it all out, but hopefully this will be done soon!

sowatnow likes this.