Search Unity

3D [Infinity Series] Works-In-Progress Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by infinitypbr, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Thoronnim_Crystalia

Thoronnim_Crystalia

WOW!!

The bat's animations are really awesome!
    Many compliments to Katy! Very good job... Currently we don't need this character, but after seeing it... maybe it could find room... let's see!

Acissathar and infinitypbr like this.
  2. Acissathar

Acissathar

Fully agree and I was about to say the same. I didn't have any interest in adding bats, but after the demo video I think I've changed my mind.

3. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I want to get in on the subscription plus bonus when I get home this evening so I can get the bats and something else. I left you a PM with a question I had.

infinitypbr likes this.
  4. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

5. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

6. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

All my assets are currently 25% off at the Asset Store and on my website, if anyone is interested. Through December 8th.

Acissathar and JBR-games like this.
  7. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

~ 5 hours left for the sale :)

8. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Almost done w/ the C# conversion. Took a bunch of time this weekend, but I was able to do most of it without major issues.

Due to some changes in 2018.x, however, I'm going to have to change the structure of my project files. The next version I upload will have only game-ready files, with all the customization .unitypackage files from my site.

Why? Well, I can't talk about that yet. But there's a good chance that for a while I'll have to support two different work flows in at least two different areas of all of my packs -- basically for people using 2018.x and those still using Unity 5 or 2017.x

Hopefully everyone has signed up on my site! Downloads will be easily obtained there, and of course that means you can do more picking and choosing which files you want.

D3Duck and JBR-games like this.
  9. JBR-games

JBR-games

I think its great that you are converting your code over to c# .
    Unity seems to be making things really tough on asset developers lately, Constant changes... I understand that unity needs to evolve and improve but its also fustrating that assets i buy become broken so often lately..The update system was a great addition though to help with this somewhat.

By the sounds of it i may be staying with unity 5 or maybe 2017 for quite some time... As i get the impression big (breaking) changes are on the way..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  10. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Who knows how breaking they'll be. From what I've seen, and understand of it, some upcoming changes are pretty cool, and will make the editor and 2018.x really really nice.

The C# stuff has been on my plate for a while...all new scripts were C#, but now the asset store says they'll be removing any asset that has .js files in them after the new year, since they won't work at all in 2018.x, and all assets need to work with the latest version of Unity.

EDIT: I will say though, as a user, updating to a new version every 3 months is somewhat challenging. There have been, in the past, breaking changes, so it's always a requirement to test heavily when updating before continuing development. That's kind of too bad.

11. JBR-games

JBR-games

It makes sense for unity to convert to one language.. Much less work on their part to keep things working properly.. Although im sure there are some java users that will be pretty unhappy.. (Maybe your one of them) . has unity ever gave a official. Statement that java was to be removed by x date ?

12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'm not one of them -- I saw the writing on the wall a while back. They did announce it to the publishers in early spring, and then had a blog post, but messaging wasn't super robust. Some are quite unhappy. Ultimately language to me is language -- I like the one I like because I'm most comfortable with it, but they all can do the same thing in the end: Make cool games.

C# is easier to code in though, now that I know more about it, due to the auto completion and such things that javascript didn't have. Honestly, I didn't even know I was missing something before, as no where in my learning about coding in Unity did I see anything about the fringe benefits of C#.

Oh well -- I'm pretty comfortable in it now, and though I'm still not the best coder and still I'm probably unaware of some really cool things that'd make my life easier with C#, I'd say I'm 99% of where I was with Javascript.

13. Enoch

Enoch

Yeah the "fringe" benefits are pretty spectacular. Language is language but they all aren't the same and some of these intangibles are the reason why. If you love auto completion get visual studio and resharper, it is another of those once you go you never go back experiences.

I am glad to see you finally converting these to c#. I really need the blendshape script to be c# so I could call some of it's methods from other c# classes easily. So yeah good job, this is a big deal to me at least.

infinitypbr and JBR-games like this.
  14. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

If you have the human package, the downloads on my site currently have that. I still need to make videos etc, so I'm holding off on an announcement. If I for whatever reason didn't do the script correctly, and you can't work with it the way you want, let me know what I should adjust and I'll try to do that.

Acissathar and JBR-games like this.
  15. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

A goblin to fight the humans. Pixar/Cartoon Style.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 8.52.29 PM.png

(And to test the body parts / wardrobe parts in Unity...)
    Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 8.59.27 PM.png

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    antoripa likes this.
  16. antoripa

antoripa

infinitypbr likes this.
  17. magique

magique

Just wanted to say I'm happy to see all the C# scripting updates going through. Having the scripts in JS was the one thing that really crippled these assets for me. So, I'm very happy that I can use these more freely now without worrying about scripting issues.

D3Duck, infinitypbr and JBR-games like this.
  18. Acissathar

Acissathar

With your Pixar/Cartoon set, are you looking at new props / environments or rextures of your other packs like the Dungeon for example? Or am I just too far out in the future? Merely curious, not rush on anything :)

infinitypbr likes this.
  19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

It depends on how it's received. I don't think there's any other stuff on the store that fits the "Pixney" look yet...so if ppl like the characters and buy them, then I'd invest in more to flesh out the world. Or maybe other artists will step up and build more work that fits the same style.

I think what needs to happen is various styles need to be codified on the store, so that artists know "hey, I need to build stuff that fits *that* style, rather than my own", so that lots of artists can build for the same look and feel.

20. Enoch

Enoch

I am signed up for your subscription model from your website. I did this largely because the artwork thus far fits my style very well.

While I like the cartoonish style and honestly I would love to develop a variant of our dungeon crawl in that style, I find it much harder to "find" a whole lot of assets that fit it. And that may also be a result of this space (cartoonish low poly) being a great deal more artistic and therefore alternate assets don't "match" as well. Being Indie we just don't have the resources to fill in the gaps like we would need to so that we could build out a product to completion.

So for me I am much more inclined to buy the high-poly semi-realistic dungeon mobs versus anything else. I combine your stuff with the stuff from Profactor and few others and there is very little that isn't covered in terms of adversary mobs for a dungeon crawl. They all seem to match up pretty well in terms of art style. This makes my product attempt much much more viable.

21. magique

magique

I have to agree. This project seems to have gotten off track recently. These cartoonish characters don't fit with the very consistent theme that has been the staple of this product for so long. I considered a subscription, but, considering the direction it's been moving, I'm glad I didn't do that because no useful assets have been released in a very long time. The C# update was definitely a welcome update, but not a complete change in style in place of more content that fits the already great style we've been accustomed to.

RealWyldhunt and JBR-games like this.
  22. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Somewhere buried in this thread I mention this is a different thing, not part of the subscription. It's something I've wanted to do for well over a year now, but hadn't found a modeler to complete it, each one I started to work w/ didn't work out for one reason or another.

Acissathar likes this.
  23. magique

magique

Understood. Still, it seems like this is taking away from the focus of what you started. Just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off focusing on the core content and move forward with that.

infinitypbr likes this.
  24. Acissathar

Acissathar

As long as it's not coming at the cost of the originals, I don't see a problem with trying to offer both. Remember, he's not the one modelling these.

I also don't believe this is currently taking away the focus from the previous set of content. He has something new to share, so he has. He's also updated the Dungeon Pack, and has stated the Elf wardrobe is closer than ever to completion. Sounds like we're still getting progress on both fronts.

25. Sovogal

Sovogal

Right now that codification is "Toony" and "Cartoon"
    You'd also be surprised how cartoony you can make the other models with some slight texture modifications. I toyed with the idea briefly when Andrew released the substance source files. Unfortunately, my substance designer subscription has since expired.

Acissathar likes this.
  26. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

That's actually true -- with Substance Painter it should be relatively easy.

27. Sovogal

Sovogal

You can even just open the diffuse texture files the substance utility creates and screw around with photoshop filters for a painterly look if you don't have Substance Designer/Painter.

infinitypbr likes this.
  28. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hey All!

I'm releasing for free the alpha version of my "Master Class System".

I think I've made something pretty useful, but I know it's not as good as it could be, and I"m hoping some of you may want to help out in exchange for getting access to it. I'll be using it to make my RPG -- basically it lets you create your class structure without actually scripting your classes, and populate values more easily, which is great if you're like me and you constantly forget to add things to your classes and game.

Please download the package, see the demo video, and follow the thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/inf...r-class-system-free-during-alpha-beta.512465/

29. Acissathar

Acissathar

That sounds awesome, do you have any resources by chance?

30. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I have a problem, maybe you can help.

As many of you know, I work with multiple artists to do the various aspects of the character packs: Modeler, Texturing (me, now), Animator, Composer, Sound Designer, Concept Artist. The speed at which each person works varies.

Until recently, the composer always had something to work on as there was plenty of characters that needed music which were released before he started doing his thing. But now all packs that will have music do have music. He just finished the music for the Beholder, which is currently being animated, and asked what's next.

So what is next? I could continue to give him upcoming characters and sit on the music until the character is ready -- I'll likely keep doing that to a point, simply to have music ready on release. But what else can he do?

What kind of music do you want?

I put up some solo-music packs on the asset store, and they've had only 2 sales total, so they're not super popular. What can we do differently to change this? Or is there other styles of music you guys are interested in, for stand-alone packages?

Let me know your thoughts and ideas, so that the composer can keep busy :)

Thoronnim_Crystalia likes this.
  31. Enoch

Enoch

I can't say that I am currently looking for music, but when I do this is what I look for.

Since I have been focusing on a dungeon crawler I like music packs to to include a lot of really interesting ambients stuff that can be looped or randomly chain looped for an always interesting flavor. I tend to lean toward deep and weird echoing sounds that make the dungeoning experience more edgy. I also look for the the packs to include combat tracks, town/inn/merchant tracks and some tracks built specifically for epic trailers. Of those 4 the combat and town/Inn/merchant are the ones I am least concerned about, and they are also the ones that I have numerous assets sources on the asset store (some even free).

As the player spends most of their time in the dungeon I tend to be most discriminating about the dungeon ambients (having a lot of them, and those being the best quality they can be). The trailer tracks are also a big one for me because its the first impression the player has with the game. It is used to help them make the purchase decision, and therefore needs to be as perfect, interesting and unique as I can manage it.

This is a tough space though, this isn't like visual art. Potential buyers can't instantly look at your product and get a feel for it. They have to invest time to actually listen to what you have to offer.

Acissathar, infinitypbr and JBR-games like this.
  32. Thoronnim_Crystalia

Thoronnim_Crystalia

Wow!!

That's a very interesting proposal...

We are working on deep noir scenarios - absolutely not arcade - with few and remotes lights, where time seems running slowly.

For this reason, we are looking for some backgournd music with minor keys, low bpm, which gives deep gloomy feelings... e.g. a piano solo theme, a light harp with a violins ensemble...

I know, maybe it's too specific for our scenarios and this kind of music cannot be integrated in so many projects, but it's what we need...

infinitypbr likes this.
  33. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

34. LocksmithArmy

LocksmithArmy

looks awesome!!!

infinitypbr likes this.
  35. JBR-games

JBR-games

Definitely great to see some progress again on characters

Acissathar and infinitypbr like this.
  36. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Dirty Elf Clothing.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 10.15.56 PM.png

37. JBR-games

JBR-games

Awesome! Any idea on an approximate finish date ? weeks /months... And how soon after will the cloths be useable on the human pack ?

infinitypbr likes this.
  38. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Currently the clothing of the human is already morphed to work on the elf bodies. I will need to double check that though, as this modeler may have adjusted the bodies a bit. Getting the clothing to mesh with the human bodies shouldn't be too difficult.

However I'm not 100% sure how the rigging will work, so that's more up in the air. Same with the animation of the elf. My usual animator went MIA for 5 weeks, though is still working it seems. I'm testing a new small group of artists for the entire process: Modeling, rigging, animating, mesh morphing. If that works out, then I may give them the animation. I'm really hopeful it'll work out, as it's always been a headache to have different people do the various parts on very very different timelines. It's really annoying to be sitting on models for months and months that are waiting for rigging and animation. It's nice that my current animator does the blend shapes too...but perhaps stream lining it would be super helpful.

So that's not a very good answer as far as specifics. But once the clothing is done, it'll be a priority to get the rest done.

JBR-games likes this.
  39. JBR-games

JBR-games

If the modelers work out, i really hope you make a few clothing packs (villager style NPCs) would be my first choice... There are zero good villagers packs on store. :)

40. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

So I found, I hope, a great small team to work with on new characters! Below is the first model. It was a creature, just as a basic test. Next we'll try more intricate things w/ wardrobe. They've done the modeling, and I did the texturing. There are some fixes that need done w/ the model, but nothing major.

Best part is that they can do the rigging and animating as well, plus the blend shapes most likely!

If that works out, then hopefully I"ll be able to get characters to t he store much much faster.

QUESTION: What should I call this? Currently I'm just calling it "Monster 1"....but I think it needs a more compelling name. What do you think? (He stands on his knuckles, leaning forward. And his belly hangs down probably.)

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 8.25.52 PM.png

Thoronnim_Crystalia and Enoch like this.
  41. Enoch

Enoch

I love it. Lets call it a troglodyte :)

infinitypbr likes this.
  42. RealWyldhunt

RealWyldhunt

infinitypbr and JBR-games like this.
  43. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yeah, kind of does. I wonder if that's what the random concept art I found on pinterest was....

RealWyldhunt likes this.
  44. RealWyldhunt

RealWyldhunt

I'll just leave this link here...

infinitypbr likes this.
  45. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Oh yeah. A google image search for "Slaadi" returns the concept art I used.

46. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

WE HAVE A WINNER!

47. RealWyldhunt

RealWyldhunt

Yay!
    Now the internet knows how big of a nerd I am... :p

JBR-games and infinitypbr like this.
  48. Enoch

Enoch

Well if your gonna make a Slaad you have to make the red and blue versions too :)

infinitypbr and RealWyldhunt like this.
  49. RealWyldhunt

RealWyldhunt

Those can be the morph models.
    And, what about green?
    There's a gray slaad now too...

50. RealWyldhunt

RealWyldhunt

I think @infinitypbr got more than he wanted when he asked his question. :p
    For the record, I've been thrilled with all of @infinitypbr's work. (You don't really need to make 4 extra models)

But, 4 extra models as blend shapes would be great. ;)