Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Infinity Series] Human Character | Texture Customization, Music, Concept Art & Sound Effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by infinitypbr, Mar 27, 2016.

1. psistalk

psistalk

infinitypbr likes this.
  2. Acissathar

Acissathar

So I've been out of Unity land for a while due to my day job, but now that I've got some free time again I was curious if you were ever able to create this step by step tutorial.

The golems look sweet too. I bet with some particle witchcraft, there can be some fun stuff done to turn them element based like fire, ice, sand etc.

3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

This is my latest video for mesh morphing.

No written thing yet.

Xoduz and Acissathar like this.
  4. Acissathar

Acissathar

That's good enough for me, thank you!

5. Anydaytv

Anydaytv

Hey, been eye-balling this asset for awhile. (Actually all your work is a level far beyond)
    Programmer here, so just stepping into the modelling arena.

I'm wondering if these characters (as well as your other assets) would work with the UMA pipeline?
    I've been watching your weapon videos and it looks like you bake out the model once you're finished customizing.

Is that the case here? Can I, in theory, edit your textures, morph and bake out the mesh, then import it into the UMA system?
    (I'd like to be able to use UMA's facial animation system)

I'm probably reaching here, but that would be fairly awesome.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  6. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

From what I understand, to work with the UMA system, more work would be required -- these do not work by default.

For skinned mesh renderers, you can't bake the final result, as that would keep them from moving, turning them into a statue. (It is, however, a great way to make posed statues!)

Though, the blend shapes generally shouldn't affect the speed of the game if left un touched.

7. Anydaytv

Anydaytv

Arg, I'm too curious to see if I can get them working.
    Oh well, at least I'll have dragons if I can't get it to work (though I'm pretty determined)

If I get it working I'll let you guys know how I did it.

infinitypbr likes this.
  8. kenamis

kenamis

It's not too difficult. SecretAnorak has a simple race creation video series,

He's working on a much more in depth one, but it'll probably be awhile before that comes out. You can PM me and/or join the UMA slack channel, (PM me with your email for an invite) and I can help you through all the steps. Setting up the DNA to use the blendshapes is probably the most work in the whole process.

If your goal is to be able to use the UMA expressions system, then that is bone based, not blendshape based. Certain bones will be required to have the same expressions. If you wanted that, then that'd be somewhat hard (reskinning parts of the face)

infinitypbr and Anydaytv like this.
  9. Anydaytv

Anydaytv

Okay, so after some time and with the help of Kenamis (we had a Unity bug crashing our OS, he helped a lot), he seems to be right, there is no facial rig with this model.

Is there any chance you'd create one? I'm unsure of your plans because you have bones for hair so wasn't sure if this was a planned feature or not.

I'm in the process of hooking up the blend shapes, and with a facial rig this would honestly be the best looking and customizable avatar on the store - in my opinion.

If the answer is no, I'll still see if I can stumble along and hook one up myself. I'll email you all my work after I'm done so other people can take advantage of this asset and UMA (as the conversion requires going into 3ds)

10. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I think we can probably add this shortly. Right now the animator is working on the "Young Dragons", which have a similar shape as the "Dragons Pack PBR", so they'll get very similar animations. In the process, she's updating the dragon to have more facial animations. We'll be doing the Elves pack PBR after that, which has a lot of similarities, of course, with the humans. So that'd be a great time to add face animations, since I'd like that for the elves as well.

11. Xoduz

Xoduz

Looks very cool :) I'm kinda curious though, if you ran into/managed to solve the problem of Unity not re-calculating the normals of the skinned mesh after it has been deformed by applying blendshapes? In all my attempts, the normals stays fixed and unchanged if the mesh import settings are set to "import normals", while if they're set to "calculate normals" (which would recalculate the normals after applying blendshapes) the skinned mesh gets black artifacts all over, especially in areas with tiny details (like around eyes, nose, mouth, fingernails, etc).

12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I haven't had any issues around this I think -- I'm really not familiar with the differences in the options.

13. Xoduz

Xoduz

Basically because the normals seem to be calculated based on the original mesh before any blendshapes are applied, detail shadows are also based on this mesh shape, and not on the particular blendshapes applied. So a large nose and a small nose might be shaded the same way, even if one has a nose bridge curving inwards and one has a nose bridge curving outwards. Or the shadow under a large belly will be the same as the shadow under a small belly. Or shadow in wrinkles on the face same as if there are no wrinkles.

14. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Does it cause problems on the model? I'd have to learn more about it, to know how to fix it.

15. Anydaytv

Anydaytv

Hey, sounds good.

Out of curiosity, are you planning on a bone rig or just blendshapes?

By the way, not sure if you check pm's but I sent you one regarding the UMA integration.

16. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hey! Hmmm I think most of the facial animations have been blendshapes. However... are there pros and cons I should consider? I don't know what Katy the animator would do, of course, but if one is better than another, or some mix of the two, then we can probably do it that way.

I did see your message, I just haven't had time to do anything with it, so it's still sitting as unread in my inbox :)

17. Xoduz

Xoduz

I haven't tried with yours, to be honest, but here is a sample from another character model. First image is the character's face with all blendshapes set to 0. Observe the shadows along the cheeks, and down the chin. Second image has a bunch of blendshapes set to "blow up" the face, to make it rounder, but it still has the same shadows as the original.

EDIT: Third image shows what the mesh looks like when import settings for normals are set to "recalculate". It "fixes" the shadow issue on the cheeks (and everywhere else), but has a bunch of other problems that make it unusable.
    face_original.JPG face_blendshapes.JPG face_recalculate_normals.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  18. Anydaytv

Anydaytv

I'd like to be able to make the characters squint, have angry and sad emotions, etc.

A bone based facial rig is more flexible for me personally since it will integrate better with UMA, but other than that it's also more performent than a blendshape based one. I think blendshapes at runtime require more draw calls whereas bones don't.

Not going to lie about it though, you do have a few phonemes already, yeah - so asking you for a bone rig would be asking you to redo those as bones. (I think it's only about 4-5 though, not a lot)

19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I haven't seen that issue w/ my stuff, so maybe it doesn't happen.

We'll see what we come up with! :)

20. Xoduz

Xoduz

I have started suspecting it's an issue with how
    Blender imports (or exports) meshes. It might not be happening to meshes exported from 3ds max (that have not already been exported from Blender).

21. qxch

qxch

We are using unity 5.5.2. Can I use this package?

22. RealWyldhunt

RealWyldhunt

If you plan to rework the humans face rig, and you're working on the elves, I'd like to make a minor request:
    Could you please ask your 3d artist to bake out a thickness map and throw it in with the other textures?
    It's a basic map that bakes out the same way an AO map does, and it would allow us to use the models with any of the subsurface scattering packages in the Unity store.
    Your models would look amazing with decent subsurface scattering, and this would be a great time, while your artist has the models open already.
    Also... A thickness map for the dragons would make me giddy. Subsurface on the wings would add a whole new level of awesome to them...

Here's the map we'd need: https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Thickness

23. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yes -- everything should work perfectly in 5.5.x :)

Do you have substance painter? If so, the painter files should allow you to bake one out?

24. RealWyldhunt

RealWyldhunt

Substance Painter is expensive. Only rich people, professionals, students, and pirates own it.
    I'm mostly just a programmer. I tried to figure it out in Blender once, and my brain is still recovering...

I can tempt you though. Here is a cheap trick using the AO map, which has a ton of incorrect areas on the torso, but hits the wings correctly.
    Imagine the screenshots you could take for your projects... The wonderful things you could do...
    Grab 20180502 193834 w1920h909 x198y65z360r276.jpg
    You want to do this. You just don't know it yet. :p

25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

You just need to do everything you want with it within the 30 day trial :)

Try this file: http://infinitypbr.com/files/Thick.zip

The female body one isn't right though, and unfortunately I don't have the hi poly models, so I can't bake it out from that. This is the bake that Substance Painter gave me. Also unfortunately, the modeler who made these hasn't replied to emails in over a year.

26. RealWyldhunt

RealWyldhunt

Thank you!
    I can probably rework a copy of the male to fit the female. It's mostly the face and arms/hands that people tend to notice anyway.
    It feels like X-Mas. :)

infinitypbr likes this.
  27. qxch

qxch

Hi, it is me again.

How can I make a woman with a dragon just like the picture above?

What I found in the package is headless...

28. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The Human package has a set of animations in the "Animations" folder called "Human_DragonRider". Those animations will match the dragon.

The dragon package on my site also has a download with animations files that *should* work with any other humanoid, but I haven't tested them on all the other humanoids.

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.52.51 PM.png

I haven't had time to play with it myself, but I"ve heard assets like Final IK and Horse Animset Pro should help with realism and what not, though the human animations are designed specifically to match the dragon animations.

jovino likes this.
  29. RPowers

RPowers

Hi. I can't find the human mesh morphing prefabs in my project. I downloaded the HumanFantasyPackPBR.unitypackage from your website and after importing I noticed my folder structure is different than what's in the video. Is the package on your website old? It says it was last updated in January. Thanks.

Attached Files:

30. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 10.49.11 PM.png

It should be under "SFB Human Fantasy Pack PBR". Just in case the file didn't get uploaded, I'm uploading it again now, a new export, but the one i imported into a new project to get the screenshot was dated 12/21/17.

I wonder though -- was there a previous version of the package already in the project? If so, perhaps some of the .meta files kept the main folder from being overwritten?

31. RPowers

RPowers

My mistake. I accidentally imported an old version. All good now. Thanks a lot for the help!

infinitypbr likes this.
  32. pccross

pccross

Somewhat basic question, I hope.
    I'm getting the standard substance Allegorithmic errors when I try to import this asset into a brand new (clean) 2018.2 project: "Assets/SFBayStudios/Substance Mass Exporter/Editor/SFB_ExportMaterialEditor.cs(61,66): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.ProceduralMaterial' is obsolete: `Built-in support for Substance Designer materials has been removed from Unity. To continue using Substance Designer materials, you will need to install Allegorithmic's external importer from the Asset Store.' "
    Of course, I download latest 'Substance in Unity 2.0.2' asset into the project, and it makes no difference.

I'm trying to run the demo scene, and from the documentation, I was under the impression I could use all models and animations without an issue, and it would only cause problems if I wanted to edit them in 2018.
    Is that not the case anymore with 2018.2?

33. JBR-games

JBR-games

Its a scripting error because of substance being no longer supported by unity. You need to remove the script being referenced "SFB_ExportMaterialEditor.cs" . and likely a few other scripts that will throw errors once thats removed.

34. pccross

pccross

Appreciate the response. Just had to remove that script plus one other, and it worked. Thanks again!

JBR-games likes this.
  35. maky13

maky13

I want to change/replace some animations and I don`t even know where to start (I don`t really know to work with 3d modelling).

I tried to:
    1. Upload a character to mixamo, got error: "Unable to map existing skeleton". I had selected the "HumanFemale_no-body-morphs.FBX".

2. Download an animation from mixamo, import it to unity. It imports ok with some default model, but when I select the animation, go to Rig > Avatar Definition > "Copy from Other Avatar" (HumanFemale_BodyAvatar), it gives an error on import: "Copied Avatar Rig Configuration mis-match [...]".

How do I proceed in order to add "custom" animations?
    - I want to be able to use other tools, so for example how could I upload a model to mixamo? (is what I tried and failed)
    - I want to be able to use other animations with this model

36. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Can you PM me a link to the animation, and I can check it out? Mixamo is, if I'm not mistaken, legacy at this point -- the animations should work, but they're not being updated or maintained or anything.

My best guess is that it's expecting fewer bones than we have, but idk for sure.

37. Acissathar

Acissathar

Yeah Mixamo animations are based on rigs with much fewer bones than these ones have.

The easiest way is to download an animation from Mixamo (with or without one of their models), and set the animation type to Humanoid. You don't need to copy the avatar definition, as long as it is humanoid it will retarget to these models.

Some of the animations might look a little odd because of the rig difference, but for the most part this will work and be passable.

38. maky13

maky13

Can't figure out how to link them directly for mixamo, but it should be "Jump Attack", first one from this link: https://www.mixamo.com/#/?page=1&query=jump+attack

I did this, and technically it worked, but it didn`t look right. Probably the difference is too big.

I don`t need to work with mixamo specifically. What are my options if I want to add/edit animations? (including paid ones)

39. Acissathar

Acissathar

Yeah, same process

40. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'l try to download that and check it out tomorrow night.

Puppet3D and UMotion pro are both assets that say you can create your own animations. The promise is pretty amazing, but I haven't been able to play with them yet. In theory, you can take the mixamo animation and modify it so it looks right, or just create new ones, or modify the ones I've provided.

41. maky13

maky13

Hi again,

In the end I succeeded with that specific animation, but I am still very beginner at this, so struggling with other animations now. It seems that it would help if I could tweak the rig a bit.
    Any recommendations as to where I start? I mean, I googled about how to edit rigs in blender, but I can`t yet follow that stuff. Looking just for a pointer in the right direction.
    Thank you

42. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I've not yet tried them, but Puppet3D and Umotion pro, both on the asset store, are supposed to be able to do that -- I think uMotion has a "community" version for free.

JBR-games likes this.
  43. sentar

sentar

Dear Infinitypbr,

Once again bravo on all of your hard work! Absolutely amazing and indeed hard work.

I have a noob question.

I'm having a hard time attempting to map the blendshapes for the face to be added in the animator, facial expressions. I seen the barbarian animation "Taunt" and his jaw dropped. I'm curious If I can manipulate the face in unity or if I have to use another program/asset to accomplish this. I would really love to use the kinect or map the face so I can make these assets look absolutely astonishing. Any help/guidance on how to accomplish this would be immense.

Maybe this is already possible and I dont see it haha!

Sincerely all the best,

Sentar

44. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Facial mocap isn't yet ready in Unity -- its being worked on I think @ Unity HQ, but it's not yet available / working. However, the next update to the humans will have more facial morphs available for mocap.

You should be able to animate the blend shapes. I'm not sure of the logistics, however, but the blend shapes can be adjusted via the skinned mesh renderer component.

45. sentar

sentar

Thank you infinitypbr,

I attempted to move the mouth via the skeleton bones and by attempting to find it in your blendshape scripts, and was unsuccessful with making the jaw of the character move like the taunt animation. I'll look into how to manipulate the skinned mesh renderer.

Sincerely,

Sentar

46. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

It won't show up w/ my blend shape script -- that only looks for special blend shapes that aren't animated.

But the skinned mesh renderer component will have a blend shapes tab, with all of them in there. IT should be well named.

47. Gildar76

Gildar76

Hi,

Recently picked up the RPG package and have two questions.

First of all. Has anyone found any tricks to import the FBS files in Blender? I get a whoe bunch of errors when importing them, and don't have access to Maya or Max.

I'm also a bit concerned concerned about ising these many materials. Is there any way (tools etc.) to combine materials and create a full character model with clothing. I understand if this isn't possible, but would be nice in some cases.

48. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

@infinitypbr Could you please clarify what program you use to edit the models? I have also tried to import the the HumanMale FBX into Blender, as I desperately need to separate the head submesh from the body mesh, as I need the head submesh to be its own mesh/game object.

I'm guessing you use Maya? If so, I'll download a Maya trial and see if I can import the FBX without errors.

49. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I think it's 3DS max, but let me ask the animator to make sure.

hungrybelome likes this.
  50. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yes, it's 3DS max 2018 -- the rig files are available to download from InfinityPBR.com -- make sure you register the Asset Store purchase, and then you'll find it in the downloads page.

hungrybelome and JBR-games like this.