Search Unity

[Infinity Series] Dungeon+ Pack PBR

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by infinitypbr, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Enoch

Enoch

Just wanted to make sure you didn't forget about this. Setting the output for substances to relative to parent will make a huge impact. Playing with the controls on your substances is almost unusable otherwise.

infinitypbr likes this.
  2. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I very much forgot!

However, I spent the time today to do the updates. It's so annoying how long these files take to load and save in Substance Designer :) I got some good audio book listening done, though.

The new .unitypackage is uploading now to http://www.InfinityPBR.com -- You can download it directly from there, but it may take another 2-3 hours from now to complete.

It's also being updated to the Asset Store, but after submitting it may take up to 5 days or so for them to approve the update, sometimes a bit more.

Enoch likes this.
  3. vartugg

vartugg

Hi, I recently bought the Dungeons+ Package and just wanted to have a look on the demo scenes to get a feeling for it before creating my own materials. However, when I open Demo Scene 1, I do not see anything when I run the scene. There are some missing prefabs and the ones that are there do not have any meshes attached. (using Unity 5.4.1) Moreover, there is a scripting error on line 51 in cameraRotateAroundTarget.js (which I solved for now by excluding this line). Thank you for any help!

4. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hmm -- did you download the demo scene from InfinityPBR.com?

5. vartugg

vartugg

Yes, of course.

Attached Files:

6. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Ok -- i'll have a look when I get home and see what's what.

7. vartugg

vartugg

Have you any updates on that issue? Could it be that it is not compatible with my Unity version (5.4.1, 64bit)?

8. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The allegorithmic devs said it's fixed and will make its way into a future update, but they don't know which version. I'll be updating the "issues" list at www.infinitypbr.com (logged in) when it's working right again.

9. jonlundy

jonlundy

I downloaded the latest package from the unity store and when I try to open it up, it looks like the dungeon substances have been modified so that you can set the size, which makes them faster to edit. However the material generators, look like they are still a fixed size. (It says 512x512 and that 'This procedural material was published with a fixed size', however when I export the material I still get a 2048x2028 material.).

Did you update the material generators or just the ones for the dungeon assets? If you could somehow make the material generators easier to play around with it would be much appreciated, right now it takes a while to change the material (and sometimes it gets confused and I have to reset it).

Thank you

10. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Good catch! I did not change those. I'll update it. I also noticed in another package that I think they started defaulting to 512x512, which doesn't look as good for closeups -- I think I'll look into a script that'll change all at once, since changing the resolution take a little bit for each one too.

11. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Working on something pretty cool....

(Vertex layering & flow mapping...that's what's pretty cool)

Tinjaw and TeagansDad like this.
  12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Heres a video....

Let me know if this is something you'd like to use..... :)

Hans, TeagansDad, Xepherys and 2 others like this.
  13. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

14. justtime

justtime

This is absolutely insane!

infinitypbr likes this.
  15. Xepherys

Xepherys

I'm having a serious issue with the brick generator. When I export the material from my staging project, import into my game project, and apply it to my walls (they are cubes), they texture ends up being very flat looking. You can see the samples here:

http://www.labyrintheer.com/2016/10/25/materialtexture-woes/

I thought maybe it had something to do with the mesh filter, but I can't apply your mesh filter since it's designed for a plane and my walls are cubes (well, deformed cubes).

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

16. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Is the normal map applied to the material? (and set as normal map? You'll see a warning if it isn't)

17. Xepherys

Xepherys

It is - all six maps from the export are applied and the normal map was "fixed". I thought it was a height map issue, then I thought maybe it was just lighting. Neither seemed to resolve the issue.

18. hopeful

hopeful

Can you change the strength of the normal map in the inspector, and if so, does this change what you see on screen?

19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hmmm the height would only affect the parallax, so that wouldn't' be it. It looks like there isn't any normal map applied. Can you share a screenshot of your material inspector?

20. Xepherys

Xepherys

21. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The normal doesn't look right -- if you select the normal map texture itself, can you click the "from greyscale" button, or drop down list -- not sure where it is at the moment, but it's something like "From greyscale". see if that helps.

Also, generally the smoothness value, if you're not using the MetallicRoughness map, shouldn't be at one extreme, as most things aren't physically 100% rough or 100% smooth.

22. Xepherys

Xepherys

I switched to "from greyscale", set my smoothness to 0.55. I am, however, using the metallic map (unless the metallic roughness map does not belong in the metallic slot). I imported one of my wall objects into the demo scene from the Dungeon+ package and dropped it (with its material) inline with the walls that are using the material directly from the generator (i.e.- not exported). It's pretty clear there's a different. At first I thought maybe it was because my blocks are stretched - they have scale > 1, but you can see that the individual brick sizes and positions are the same, the quality is just... clearly I'm doing something wrong, lol.

23. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Whats the resolution on your maps?

24. Xepherys

Xepherys

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.55.49 PM.png

They are all 2048/normal compression

25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Check the maps themselves -- like, on your system. Just in case. They look a bit blurry - even ignoring the normal map. That normal map definitely isn't right though, that's for sure.

26. Xepherys

Xepherys

They are 2048x2048 in the Finder. However, there's something interesting going on - when I preview the normal map in the Finder, it starts out very noisy in the grout, then sometimes smooths out (not always). I'm also trying to compare it to the material generator, but when I CTRL+Click on the normal from the generator, it only shows MIP -1, and it's a single pixel of blueish-purple, but the overall texture looks great. Maybe it's a 5.5 issue? I exported the material initially in 5.3.5, though, prior to upgrading.

27. shredingskin

shredingskin

Just some ideas of what I would like to see in the future:
    - Ceiling domes.
    - Some ornaments to drag on walls, pilars, etc. (think of baroque architecture). Maybe they could be even decals.
    - Complete/more archways (the current ones look good by themselves, but feel kinda "separated" with the pilars).

Do you have a tutorial on how to do that kind of "uv wrap" ? Or an example sbs ?

I'm really loving the package, though I'm gonna need a better pc to get all the juice out of it.

Keep up the good work !

infinitypbr likes this.
  28. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'm working on a big update -- it won't have all you asked for right away, but it'll be mostly redone from the ground up, with a new style of setup using material layers (the current method will still work, though)

Xepherys likes this.
  29. Xepherys

Xepherys

Hey man, keep up the awesome work. Absolutely loving it. I actually just wrote up the longest blog post yet for my game, Labyrintheer, and once again mentioned that InfinityPBR is awesome and is an important part of my workflow. Thought you might like to know: http://www.labyrintheer.com/2016/11/03/progress-with-tilesets-and-map-generation/

:D

infinitypbr likes this.
  30. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

You should join the unity affiliate program -- blog posts like that are perfect for it, and you may earn some cofeee money or more :)

31. Xepherys

Xepherys

I didn't know such a program existed. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks!

32. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

33. GambitMonkey

GambitMonkey

I am getting error 33 when trying to download dungeonPackSubstances1.zip from InfinityPBR.com. Can you please look at it?

Thanks,
    Garry Clark

34. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hmm -- the link as you posted works for me when I'm logged in.

What's some portion of your email that I can use to find you on the site, and see what may be up? (You can PM me that as well, I just couldn't find anything with "docseuss" or similar :D

35. jakejolli

jakejolli

Hi There,

I just bought this along with a couple of your other packs. Two questions:

Are there any folder structure considerations I need to take into account for this (or any other of your packages)? Just curious how free I am to move things around within my own project to keep things organized, and I thought it would be easier to ask than to experiment.

Also, I see that Mesh Morphing is listed as 'Coming Soon' on the asset store page for this asset. Any idea when this might happen?

Thanks!

36. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'd say the safest thing would be to create new prefabs for anything you'd like to move around.

First, though, I'd say to create a new project for texture customization, and avoid bringing the .sbsar (procedural materials) unto your main project. When you've got textures ready to use, export those as a.unitypackage to bring them into the main project (select all, or all directories, and right click to export package, but uncheck "include dependencies")

As soon as another environment pack is complete, I'll be having this one updated fairly substantially. Part of it will be adding mesh morning when it makes sense, and also restructuring the folders to separate the "customizable" files with game-ready materials and meshes. It'll make it easier to simply not include the entire customizable section if you don't want to, and to know where things are as the pack grows.

But in general, I'd suggest only moving new prefabs you create.

37. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

There is no ETA on all this. However, I've learned a lot in the past 6 months and will be re-doing a large chunk of the Dungeon+ package, including adding new pieces. This is "Alcove 001". It will feature mesh morphing as well as texture customization.

This will be the "Dark Stone" look. If all goes as planned, the package will ship with the "Dark Stone" texture set in a "Game Ready" format. There will be a "Customizable" download from InfinityPBR.com (due to file size restrictions on the Asset Store) for those who are interested in modifying the Dark Stone look, or in replacing the materials entirely as you currently do with the Dungeon+ Pack.

In the future, I hope to provide lower-cost add-on packs for more game-ready looks, ones which can't be made using the tools in Unity, and have to be hand-textured in an application like Substance Painter. I'll be opening up this opportunity to any other artist who wants to give it a try and doesn't mind sticking to my somewhat strict rules. (Rules, of course, to make sure that everything is up to the top quality and continues to be customizable)

dungeonpreview.jpg

TeagansDad likes this.
  38. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Arganth, Sovogal and TonyLi like this.
  39. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I spent way too much time updating the doors. The doors we have are already killer, but I wanted to make them better, and add the "Damage Blend" option that I love so much. This meant bringing them (they were made 100% by the modeler, including the texture) into Substance Painter, updating the metal to a metal look I like better, and then creating a "Damaged" version.

Then re-doing the Substance Designer integration with the new maps and options. The result you see here will be the static textures in the "Dark Stone" texture set, but the customizable .sbsar files will allow you to blend between the clean version (which is basically what you've seen before, with a few minor changes), and the "Damaged" version. Most of these are about 75%-95% "damaged".

screenshotDoorPreview.jpg

TeagansDad, Hans, Sovogal and 2 others like this.
  40. Sovogal

Sovogal

Those are...wow.

infinitypbr likes this.
  41. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Here's a comparison shot of the doors before. For the most part the un-damaged versions of the new doors look the same. I updated the metal on most of them, and also probably switched some wood for metal in a couple areas.

42. Sovogal

Sovogal

I think it's the rust bleeding onto the wood by the metal brackets that sells it.

Acissathar and infinitypbr like this.
  43. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Cool -- that's the type of stuff that (unfortunately) you can't do yourself with the tools provided in Unity. My goal is to make sure the default texture set is all like that. The "Damaged" version of some blocks I've been working on earlier today will have some cracking in it as well. That type of stuff is also something you can't create, at least not without having a cracked version of the same material you're using to replace the default with.

44. Sovogal

Sovogal

Are you able to atlas the game-ready textures without losing fidelity? I'll buy as many of those as you care to make.

45. dienat

dienat

I see a problem with most monsters i see is that they dont have sound effects and say "coming soon", but some were created in 2015 and still are "coming soon". This is a big issue as without sounds need to have luck and find sounds effects that fit every monster.

Also i see animations dont have the turn on spot animations, so how you handle turn corners using mecanim?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  46. Sovogal

Sovogal

Often, you can get away with turning them via a character controller (AI/pathfinding logic). If that's not convincing enough, you can create a new walk left/right animation out of a walk forward animation and tilt the hips/spine slightly inside the animation.

47. dienat

dienat

By character controller? you mean just change transform rotation? that would be ugly and unrealistic
    About changing walk forward animation dont know how to do what you say, you mean changing it with an external program like 3dmax?

48. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The maps are 2k maps. I'm assuming by "fidelity" you mean resolution? It'll be up to you to decide what works for you. There are packages in the asset store that say they do texture atlasing although I've not used any of them. So long as you know the resolution you're looking to achieve for the platform you're building on, it should be no problem at all.

49. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Most have sound now -- which ones in particular are you needing sooner than later? I have two sound people -- one is focusing on music, and the other is doing sound effects. It's important to me to use the same artists whenever possible to avoid getting too many different sounding styles for characters. That means it takes time. I didn't start adding sound effects until this past summer, so currently we're going through the older characters (and mixing some of the newer ones in). Same with music and concept art, although concept art is nearly caught up.

For turns, the suggestions given by others are probably good ones. I'm working on a method of allowing people who have the package to make their own animations and upload them to share, as well as allow the animators (and other animators) create larger sets of animations to sell as add-ons. Some of the newer characters have turn animations already, however.

50. dienat

dienat

Which ones dont have sound effects, if i choose these packages maybe will buy all

About animations

All packages use mecanim animations?

Could i use a mecanim animation for turn on spot shown in the unity technologies free packages and make turn on spot your humanoid packages? if this can be done like that would like what packages are humanoid compatible, like devils, demons, mummy, anubis, gargoyle and rock monster for instance which have not turn on spot animations. Dont know why some have turn on spot like Weeper but others dont.

Others like bug pack dont have turn around, but spiders yes, could bug pack use spider turn on spot animations?

About dragon and dragon bone they can fly but what about turn on spot animations when not flying, if i see a dragon that just turn around without moving legs would be too unrealistic

Also about your weapons pack, bow have animations?