Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Infinite Runner Starter Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 23, 2013.

1. sdgogamer

sdgogamer

I can't believe that I had to bother you for that. It was right in front of me.
    I knew I had seen something somewhere.
    As usual, your good planning and great architecture have anticipated things ahead of time.

Thanks again!

2. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive. Thanks!! i am working on the camera now. One more suggestion, Tell me if it is possible. Is there a way to decrease the speed when the character stumbles on some obstacle, like how the player stumbles on root of the trees in Temple run 2. I am also thinking of adding some lane change animation to the Avatar.

3. opsive

opsive

Definitely possible and should be easy to add. I am not looking at the code right now but basically you are going to need to decrease the forwardSpeed within the PlayerController for a specified time if the player collides with an obstacle.

I have been working on the GUI and I take back what I said yesterday - in the next version I will be adding a camera transition animation. Things are going well and I am hoping to submit this update by the end of the weekend. I will make sure this stumbling code is in there as well.

4. Hala

Hala

How is the distance measured? If I'd like to know how many platforms that the player will run on to cross a distance of 2k?

5. opsive

opsive

The distance is in meters (which is the standard Unity measurement). For example, in the starter pack platforms have a length of 14 units. So about 143 platforms can fit within a distance of 2k

6. Hala

Hala

Alright, thank you :)

7. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

You are awesome!! Thank you so much!!
    When can we expect the updates?

8. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive, Tell me what is wrong here, I exported the game to my iPad. On the first run everything works perfect. When I run again, the obstacles become stretched horizontally. Also the same happens to the coin, powerups etc. All the infinite objects except the environment looks stretched. One more thing is in the second run there is no coins appears on the screen. I have set the probability as you said earlier but not working. Pls take a look at this, hope ur next update will clear all these things. please point me If I did anything wrong.

9. opsive

opsive

For the update, I hope to submit it by the end of the weekend and it normally takes a few days for Unity to approve it so hopefully everything will be out by mid to late next week.

I haven't seen that stretching problem before. Is the screen orientation changing from landscape to portrait or visa-versa? And for the coins not reappearing, there was a bug that was fixed in one of the 1.2 releases. What was happening was that the coin was being respawned but they were disabled so you couldn't see them. Take a look in the hierarchy and see if that is the case. If it is the case I can send you the line that was affected.

10. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive, Thanks!! I found the reason for the stretching issue. See if this helps you to find out the problem. When playing the game with show tutorial checked the stretching thing happens. It starts when the first turn is triggered, before that (in the start up scene) everything looks good. after this when I unchecked the tutorial button the stretching continues. Or tell me if this works, in other games the tutorial will automatically appears on the very first run. After completing it wont appears again. Can we do this?

Note: I have scaled the platform object for my need. The stretching is happening in the same direction as the platform object. Will it be a reason for that?

How can I remove the NGUI logo. Need to purchase? I am seeing "not for retail" in the bottom right.

Is there any way to add a turn like Agent dash? Is this a good to have feature on your Kit? Like when we are above a turn object, it automatically turns, no swipe requires.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  11. opsive

opsive

Here's what I tried:

1. Start the game with tutorial checked
    2. Go until you turn within the tutorial
    3. Pause and go back to the menu
    4. Uncheck the tutorial and hit start.

I wasn't able to see any stretching with those steps. Are those steps correct? The idea of only showing the tutorial on first run makes sense, though you should still have the option of showing the tutorial later on through a toggle.

Could be. Do you mind sending me a simple scene so I can reproduce the problem? support@opsive.com.

Yes, to remove the NGUI logo you have to purchase it. Or you could go with a completely different GUI solution, I chose NGUI because they have a distribution license.
    Sort of like it does now in God mode? That can easily be an option added to the player controller.

12. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive, The Stretching issue was fixed, It was due to the scale of the platform object. I revert it to the original size. Thanks.

I will buy NGUI.

Auto turning:
    No, not like God mode turn. I want it like as u see in Agent dash. See image attached.
    See if this idea works, When the player hits a turn trigger, The transform y of the player should not turn 90 degree immediately but smoothly. We will design the turn platform curved. Will it works?

$Agent-Dash-Swipe-to-turn-left-and-right.png $images.jpeg

Edit: What is the setting to get my terrain arranged in sequence. I have three terrains A, B and C which is assigned as section 0, some other terrains assigned Section 1. In section selection I've added Section1 like Distance 0-100 with section 0 and Section 2 like Distance 100-200 with section 1. The problem is the terrain A B and C is generated randomly, I want it to be generated in order like A B and then C. How to get this done

Edit: How to spawn an obstacle in one specific lane out of three. I have a fallen tree obstacle, it should spawn only in left lane, right now it spawning in all the lanes. Is there any rules for that

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  13. opsive

opsive

ahh, okay. I understand now. I have the features for this release pretty much set and will add that one to the list for the next release. Unfortunately the curved platform turns did not make it in. I was originally planning on it but this release ended up taking too long and I just want to get it out there. There are a lot of new features in the release. The curved platform turns is my number one priority for next release (in fact, I'd like to be able to support any type of curves.. and I think that I have an idea on how to do that now).

It sounds like you are approaching it correctly. The section selection type should be linear and you want to loop sections. Is this what you've done?

There currently is no rule for that. I actually just had somebody email that question to me a couple of days ago. It sounds like a good feature and I will add it to the list for the next release. In the meantime, the temporary work around is to use platforms to control where the obstacle can spawn. Create a platform that only the one obstacle can spawn on top of (by having all other objects avoid the platform). On that platform set the collidable left spawn to true. Now that only that one obstacle can spawn in the left position of that single platform. Not the most elegant way but it will work for now.

14. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive, Thanks for considering the curve turn on your next update.
    Yes I set the selection type to be linear but it is not sequenced. But I tried something to avoid this by adding more terrain objects. It somehow works.
    Let me try your idea and see how it works. Thank you so much for posting.

How to work with the Missions? How to accomplish it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  15. sdgogamer

sdgogamer

Hi Opsive,

There appears to be a small bug in the PlayerController.Turn logic. I've been trying to understand what might be causing it, but, haven't had any luck.

The problem:

When a player approaches a turn, presses the arrow keys repeatedly in the opposite direction of the turn (or swipes repeatedly in the opposite direction of the turn if using a tablet), the player character will successfully navigate the turn auto-magicallly. Even though they were pressing/swiping in the wrong direction. (As often happens when people panic when approaching a turn).

Conditions:
    PC as well as the tablet build versions.
    Restrict Turns is checked. (Turned on)
    God mode is unchecked (Turned off)
    Unmodified version of the Infinite Runner Starter pack

Can you steer me in the right direction toward resolving this?
    Thanks for your continued support and hard work.

16. opsive

opsive

Good catch, got that one fixed. This bug cropped up because of the delayed turning. We need to remember which direction the player tried to turn and then when the character actually hits the turn trigger it can move in that direction. I'll PM you the fix. I am very close to submitting a new feature release so this fix should be in the asset store version within the week (assuming no approval issues).

Edit: PM sent

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  17. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive, Same turning issue happening here. Could you please send me the corrected script?

18. opsive

opsive

No problem - check your PM :)

19. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Thank you Opsive!!

Could you guide me on the missions part. How could a player achieve the missions?

20. opsive

opsive

There are three different mission types included. Those three are:

run for n points
    collect n coins
    play n games

You can define what n is from the static data component (the same place where you set the power ups and characters). There are three different missions of each type setup. For example, for the running missions you have a goal of running for 500, 1500, and 5000 points. As soon as a player has ran that distance, they will be rewarded by having their score multiplied by scoreMultiplierIncrement (attached to the mission manager). Basically what this means is that the more missions a player completes, the higher their score can be for running the same distance.

21. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive. The missions were not working here. I started the game, in the missions page I find the objectives. And I played the game ran over 500 meters I didnt find any messages saying " You completed the mission". Will it only work after the game is published on store. Please HELP

22. opsive

opsive

There was a bug in the missions code that was preventing the first mission from ever being awarded. You can fix this by changing:

Code (csharp):
    2. if ((int)missionType % 3 != 0) {
    to
    Code (csharp):
    2. (int)missionType > 2  ((int)missionType - 3) % 4 != 0) {
    Within the method missionComplete of MissionManager.cs. Also, the missions GUI is pretty barebones in that you won't get a message saying that you completed the mission.. it will just increment the multiplier. There's room for enhancement on that front in a future version.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  23. TWaanders

TWaanders

Hi there Opsive, I recently bought your starter pack and it works great. I was wondering however if you could add some variations to the curve shader, e.g. a curve that goes up and down for hills.

That should make a terrain like this po

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  24. opsive

opsive

Sure, that's easy to do. I will PM you the new shader. It will take both x and y values so you can have whatever angle you want.. all you need to do is adjust the near and far curve properties on the material (ignore the z and w components, there is no way to just have a vector2 for the shader properties)

25. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive. Now I am moving on to GUI part. I can able to add custom buttons and background images with NGUI except the font. How could I add custom fonts?

Please help me on achieving this, instead of attacking how to destruct an obstacle by sliding into it. Like running with friends.

How to increase the distances between obstacles, What happens is when the objects movement increases the player is jumping too far ends up in colliding with an obstacle. What I want is as the forward speed increases the spawning distances between the obstacles should increase. Any idea is really appreciated

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  26. opsive

opsive

Take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni7TfMPWq5M

You could do something like this:
    Code (csharp):
    2.     public void obstacleCollision(Transform obstacle, Vector3 position)
    3.     {
    4.         if (isSliding) {
    5.             ObstacleObject obstacleObj = obstacle.GetComponent<ObstacleObject>();
    6.             if (obstacleObj.isDestructible) {
    7.                 obstacleObj.obstacleAttacked();
    8.             }
    9.             return;
    10.         }
    11. ...
    obstacleCollision is within PlayerController.cs.

Currently the appearance rules are not affected by the players speed. I will add this to the list of feature requests for the next version.

27. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive, The video really helps, but I couldn't see NGUI in the tool bar. I am using mac. Where can I find the font maker.?
    Thanks for the slider colliding script, I will update and see how it works.
    The appearance rules for obstacle spawning and coins spawn would be a good feature. My game has curved pool of coins, in beginning the player jump collects the coins well but when the movement increases the player fails. Need to stretch the length of the coins group.

When are you releasing the recent update?

28. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive. How can I add new sections? I have created separate scene objects (Assigned section as 2), platform objects and all. In the infinite objects, section selection I checked use section transitions, Loop sections and added Section1 0-100 with section 0, Section 2 100-200 with section 1, and Section 3 200-300 with section2. I get the following log

Unable to spawn platform. No platforms can be spawned based on the probability rules
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour: print(Object)
    InfiniteObjectGenerator:spawnObjects(ObjectLocation, Vector3, Vector3, Boolean) (at Assets/Infinite Runner/Scripts/InfiniteGenerator/InfiniteObjectGenerator.cs:231)
    InfiniteObjectGenerator:spawnObjectRun(Boolean) (at Assets/Infinite

Please help. I want to add many sections with different areas

29. opsive

opsive

Do you have the paid version of NGUI? I've noticed that the toolbar menu option doesn't appear in the distribution version. If you do have the paid version and it isn't showing up I would post on their support forums.

I was thinking about this some more and I think there is a way for you to accomplish what you want right now and not even needing the update. Create different versions of the same platform that only certain groups of coins that can on top of. For example, create a platform1 that only allows coingroup1 to spawn on top of it. Set its appearance rules to be valid for the distance of 0-n. Then for distance n create platform2 which only allows coingroup2 to spawn on top of it. Coingroup2 is similar to coingroup1 except the coins are spread out further. Then you set the appearance rules for platform2 to only appear between n-m. You can do this for as many platforms as you'd like. This solution obviously isn't ideal but at least you aren't waiting on me to get a update out.

I submitted the most recent update to Unity a couple of days ago. It is currently waiting to be reviewed. I've updated the web player to the latest version as well as updated the documentation.

That message appears when the infinite object generator can't find any platforms that can spawn based on the probability appearances/rules. Your section logic looks good (though a little confusing with section1 objects actually appearing within section 0), I would double check your appearance rules and probabilities to make sure the platforms can spawn at any point throughout distance 0-300. If you want me to take a look I bet I could find the issue pretty quickly - just send a small repro project to support@opsive.com.

30. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive. The Update demo is really awesome. Specially the GUI and shooting feature. Great work man!! I can't wait to get this update.

Yes I didn't get the paid version yet. Hope that version allows me to add more fonts.

For the coins appearance, let me work around with your ideas, I think it will work.

And regarding the sections adding problem, I have made a sample project with the same asset you gave. Added scene and platform elements in it. Just run the main scene and see the log pops up at certain distance. I send you the unity package link in PM. Please point me where I was wrong.

Thanks

31. opsive

opsive

Good news - Unity just approved the latest version of the starter pack! This version contains the following:
    • GUI Improvements
    • Added a crossbow with a projectile for Character2’s attack
    • Added moving obstacles
    • Added a stumble when the character hits an obstacle
    • InputController now uses Unity’s Input Manager instead of hardcoding keys
    • Allows a distance value to be specified to loop back to
    • Expanded Static Data: character count is no longer hardcoded and the power up / character names/description are also stored in static data
    • Added optimizeDeactivation to each infinite object: if enabled, only the object’s renderer/collider will be disabled/enabled instead of the whole game object and children
    • The character’s run animation speed can change based on the run speed
    • Added facebook/twitter links to the GUI for social integration
    • With restrict turns enabled, the character will now turn the correct direction when the player turns
    • Other minor bugfixes

As mentioned earlier, the web player has been updated and so has the documentation.

@Dharma_raj - check your PM, there was a bug on my part and I've sent you the fixed files.

32. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive, You made it:) Now I can able to add more sections. Thank u so much.

33. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive. With your recent update everything looks good in my game. Just one quick question, How to add the curve shader effect in other shaders. I am using a water shader which is used in my game. I wan to apply the curve in it.

Thanks

34. opsive

opsive

I'll send you a PM with what you need to add to get the curved effect. It is easier when I can go over specific source code.

35. Hala

Hala

I keep getting this error when I'm using my own Startup prefab:
    NullReferenceException
    InfiniteObjectGenerator.showStartupObjects (Boolean tutorial) (at Assets/Infinite Runner/Scripts/InfiniteGenerator/InfiniteObjectGenerator.cs:110)
    InfiniteObjectGenerator.Start () (at Assets/Infinite Runner/Scripts/InfiniteGenerator/InfiniteObjectGenerator.cs:88)

and the startup object is not moved to the infinite objects Game Object in the hierarchy.

36. opsive

opsive

I think that error is caused by not having the game object "Scene" or "Platforms" as a child of the startup object. When you create the start up objects you'll basically be copying the whole Scenes and Platform hierarchy into a prefab. Take a look at this video if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0jI4N-tpjY

37. Hala

Hala

I have watched that video multiple times .. I'll watch again laters. Thank you. Also, I have jut updated to the new version of the asset, and the GUI appear
    white colored .. ( didn't adjust anything, just clicked the main scene and hit play)
    $Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 5.27.00 PM.png

38. opsive

opsive

For the startup problem, make sure your prefab has the following structure:

$startup.PNG

Line 110 will fail if you don't have the Platforms or Scene game object directly under the startup object. Notice that I left coins, obstacle, and power ups in there as well. Those can be deleted but aren't really hurting anything by being included. If you just can't get it correct and want to send me a quick repro package I'd be happy to see what's wrong.

For the GUI problem, it doesn't look like everything was imported/merged correctly. The first step that I would take is to create a new project and make sure everything works. From there I would start comparing the differences between the new project and your project.

39. code749

code749

this is really good stuff and i thank you for making this available to us.i think there are still movement bugs and they need to be fine tuned before any more features are added..in the webplayer demo i can turn into a wall and still keep running sideways??. also i can jump just as i approach a incline and go through the mesh and fall/run into an infinite loop
    the turning needs to be more smooth as well as its kinda jerky at the moment

again i cant thank you enough for making this available to us..i have bought this already in anticipation of the fixes that you are working on but i feel that the movement needs to be a priority

thank you

40. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive. I have bought NGUI. When i import the plugin in our project, I got these errors

Assets/Infinite Runner/Third Party/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/UIWidgetInspector.cs(29,19): error CS0433: The imported type `UIWidget' is defined multiple times

Assets/Infinite Runner/Third Party/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/UIWidgetInspector.cs(984,23): error CS0433: The imported type `BetterList`1' is defined multiple times

Assets/Infinite Runner/Third Party/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/UIFontInspector.cs(42,9): error CS0433: The imported type `BMSymbol' is defined multiple times

Assets/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/BMFontReader.cs(47,34): error CS0433: The imported type `BMFont' is defined multiple times

I guess this is because of the existing scripts, Please help me out in importing the NGUI properly

41. opsive

opsive

@code749: No problem, I'll takea look at fine tuning some of the movement. :)

@Dharma_raj: Once you've purchased and imported the full version of NGUI, you can remove NGUI from the third party folder. You'll probably need to reload the scene to completely get rid of all of the errors.

42. Hala

Hala

I've restarted another project because I reported the package several times but it didn't work, so I made another project and the GUI is fine. Thank you.
    I do have the same components in the startup object, I will send you the project once I work my way around things.

43. opsive

opsive

@Hala: Sounds great. You probably can just send a unity package of the startup object exported that way you don't need to upload the whole project.

@code749: I improved some of the movement, go ahead and take a look at the web player for the most up to date version. I wasn't able to go through the mesh when I jump right before a staircase. I was however able to go through the side of the staircase scenery if I turned while on the staircase. I fixed that issue (it was simply a matter of extending the colliders). You mentioned that the turn feels a little jerky - right now it rotates a set speed until it reaches the destination. I suppose if I had an easing function in there that would make it feel less jerky? Is that what you mean?

44. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

hi Opsive, I removed the earlier NGUI assets and now it works perfectly. Thanks.

45. frak

frak

Firstly, thanks for an awesome starter.

I was thinking that the vertex trans shader could be abused to create the up and down hills and left and right that Temple Run 2 has. So consider that a feature request.

Where can I find the shader you defined? I am quite new to Unity right now.

thanks,
    Mathew

46. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi opsive, Again there is a problem on adding new sections. I have added four different areas. Everything works on the first run, But when I restart the game the platform failed to spawn. I will send you a sample project in PM. It will show you the clear picture of my problem. For reference I added som 3d texts in the transition scene objects.

thanks

47. opsive

opsive

@frak: Glad you are enjoying the starter pack. You can find the actual shader at Infinite Runner/Shaders/Diffuse Curve.shader. If you just want to adjust the shader properties you will want to take a look at the material. You can add hills by modifying the y value of the Near Curve and Far Curve variables used by the following materials: Cannonball, Infinite Objects, OutsidePlatform, and Platform. If you want to have the direction dynamically change then it will take a script or modification of the shader.

@Dharma_raj: I responded to your PM.

48. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi Opsive, I sent you the screen shot of the error in PM. Please notice I've assigned everything in the infinite object script. Thanks

49. opsive

opsive

Unity just approved version 1.3.1 of the starter pack. It contains two fixes (one really minor):

• More than 2 sections now work correctly
    • Projectile ignores collisions with the tutorial trigger

If you have more than two sections already setup you'll have to completely remove all of the sections and add them back (sorry, there was a bug in the editor code).

50. code749

code749

thank you for the 'fix'. is there anyway that the player cant slide up an incline.it looks silly and would never be the case in any game :)