Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building InfiniGRASS STUDIO✅-Massively optimized,interactive & non uniform volume grass for procedural worlds

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by nasos_333, Aug 24, 2015.

1. LightenFor

LightenFor

I have seed and re-created everything.

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

In this case, it is still possible to have a scheme where the whole world is created and planted with certain rules (only growers, not actual grass) at game start with a seed selected at that point, then erase all meshes/colliders (besides the ones player is in i suppose) and have it grow with the gradual growth mode. As long as the colliders come into play before the grass is gradually grown around the player threshold, the grass should theoretically grow properly as you move around the planet.

This requires extra coding though so you wont actually grow the grass and ungrow it (like in the current scheme) so it is not much different than the rule based procedural planting i am working on for v1.5, the difference is that the procedural rules will be applied in play time to decided where to plant the grass, while in the current scheme it is possible to pre-define the placement at game start and use gradual growth.

So my suggestion would be to wait for the full procedural mode, as this is the best fit for the specific case. I can also send a beta of it when i am closer to the final version so you can start working with it earlier. I will need to make sure it is 100% stable first before this, so i am now doing lots of testing and also looking at performance considerations etc. The base of the system already works, but needs a lot more polish and extra controls towards perfection, so will be an ongoing process for a while.

LightenFor likes this.
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Also an image guide to acompany the above Mass Placement tutorial video

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The base for the seasonal changes is done and is now tweaked for the smoothest effect possible. The whole effect will be shader based, for ultimate performance.

I will post a video soon.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Grass burning
    The burn out shader base is now ready and working great, i recreated it using ShaderForge tutorial videos and it now needs to be tranfered to the grass shader.

Seasonal Grass
    Several issues with the grass scaling after the batching have now been all fixed and the grass will grow properly in any orientation bringing the seasonal module one step closer to completion as well.

These will come in v1.5 along with the many other features already in place (vertex colored grass based on ground texture, local interaction, gravity and wind in shader, procedurally changed grass for infinite variety with a single model, new brushes etc)

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Seasonal changes WIP

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Using InfiniGRASS with Sky Master ULTIMATE weather features Tutorial:

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Using InfiniGRASS with Sky Master ULTIMATE weather features Tutorial 2:

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have summed up all tutorial videos in a easy to access playlist, for best experience.

I will be adding any new tutorials in this list as well.

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few more samples of the system and demos WIP

Slaghton likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Using with WebGL with a slightly tweaked mobile shader (both coming in v1.5)

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few pics from the work for InfiniGRASS v1.5

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The new procedural system now has also a tile based system in place with various types of handling

1. Instantiate prefabs
    2. Instantiate objects from scene
    3. Enable/Disable grass tiles already in the scene

Positioning
    1-2. Define positions of tiles in a list or auto create a grid

Now i am working on a pooling system that will reuse the far from hero tiles for saving on ram.

Then multiple rules will apply to create the tiled world procedurally (for example corner tiles handling etc)

The tile system may also pack some terrain handling for the tile meshes to adapt to near ones etc

This system will combine with all upcomign new systems in v1.5 as well (like vertex coloration from ground colors, super fast temporal interaction, seasonal growth, procedural growth etc)

15. Kombiice

Kombiice

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

A summary of features for v1.5

- WebGL and Mobile shader varieties and support
    - new ground color vertex blend mode to get different grass looks based on ground texture.
    - the grass will be leaving the Interactive state automatically if has been pressed down beyond a threshold, for performance enchancement in dynamic grass
    - checks to make sure grass is better spread when painted, so brushes dont fall very close to each other, for performance enchancement in dynamic grass
    - shader based temporal grass interaction and motion based on interactor direction and speed (shader based for near zero cost)
    - procedurally changed ground and rocks, as a first step for a complete world creation suit (InfiniROCK and InfiniGROUND systems)
    - procedurally changed grass shape, for unlimited variety without any extra asset creation !!!
    - gravity emulation shader features, for emulating gradual bending of grass on slopes and breaking of grass under its weight
    - additional noise to wind emulation for better top down results and look and local wind
    - many new grass types, including new stackable rocks (rocks that can be painted on top of each other for creating formations) and trees
    - Local wind
    - Lerp with custom vector for better control of ground adaptation (for better control in the new tree brush placement)
    - Tile based system (with various ways of defining / calling the tiles & pooling)
    - Grass burning
    - Seasonal grass and foliage growth system

Features for v1.5 that may be pushed to v1.6 depending on testing of initial systems and extra refinement requirement

- Texture based grass placement, for application of multiple grass types per mass placement application in mesh terrains
    - Height and slope based grass elimination (plant only above/below a slope angle or height)
    - Static grass optimization, with removal of original grass blade meshes after the batching when entering play mode. The batchers in this case will be flagged as closed and wont receive real time painted grass.
    - Full procedural mode, where grass wont have to painted in the editor and will be grown basd on rules in play time to fill in the map. This mode will blend with the editor paimted grass.
    - A mini game that will showcase the prefab instantiation and gradual growth methods. I plan to create a maze like and a tile based mini game templetes and evaluate the possibilities of procedural and prefab based stages creation.
    - Shadow manager, for automatic refinement of Unity shadow settings

Features for v1.6

- GAIA support, for spreading the grass in GAIA mode and additional features to complement with the InfiniGRASS unique features (which Unity grass does not support).

MarcusWatson likes this.
  17. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some WIP on using InfiniGRASS with Blacksmith setting. This will be base for testing the full automatic planting module.

Also i noticed that there is a bug when re-setting LODs for items that are then ungrown. The setting goes to the batchers, but not in the grass grower sources, thus when grass is ungrown the batchers go away and are recreated with the previous LODs that are still in the grass grower scripts.

A quick fix is to add the below lines in 3042 line in InfiniGRASSManagerEditor.cs script, to apply the LODs to the grass growers, right below where the "Set LOD" button goes through the grass patches in a for loop and assing the LODs to their Batchers.
    Code (csharp):
    2. script.Grasses [i].LOD_distance = script.LOD_distance;
    3. script.Grasses [i].LOD_distance1 = script.LOD_distance1;
    4. script.Grasses [i].LOD_distance2 = script.LOD_distance2;
    5. script.Grasses [i].Cutoff_distance = script.Cutoff_distance;
    I can also send a link to the hotfix for this issue on demand right away.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The fix for the ungrown grass LOD re-definition and many more tweaks and enchancements are coming soon in v1.4.6 that will be submitted this weekend (probably tomorrow)

- scale per brush (of Max scale)
    - control batch grouping distance
    - fix for assigning new LOD to ungrown grass that grows in play mode
    - Added icons definition scheme for rocks & fences
    - Added grass naming & scaling for currently selected icon, for easier track of selected grass type
    - Added all 20 grass types as default when inserting the manager + new brushes
    - New brushes and tree sample
    - Mobile shader (first version)
    - WebGL fix for some of the shaders

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have decided to put lots of the work for v1.5 in v1.4.6, as first (some final) versions (since what is there works well), so there wont be a big wait for the below:

- Shader based interaction (this is super fast, i am uploading a video and will post asap)
    - Vertex coloration by ground texture (only on readable textured ground for this version, Unity terrain and rendertexture methods to follow in v1.5)
    - Gravity emulation in shader
    - More brushes with new shaders (gravity, vertex colored, locally interactive)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  20. nasos_333

nasos_333

New temporal interaction video, coming next week in v1.4.6

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Two major performance enchancements are also now available for v1.5 (v1.4.6 has been renamed to v1.5)

If the grass is static (no scripted interaction, can still interact with player through the new shader based mode in v1.5), at the end of Update() the script will delete the original meshes and disable the grower script for zero overhead.

The control parameters will be public variables in the grass grower script to choose the above options:

"Eliminate_origin_mesh" -> Deletes the original meshes after the batcher is full (not to be used when erasing individual grass strokes or scripting dynamic grass, painting in real time is ok since the batcher is full and wont receive any further grass)

"Disable_after_growth" -> Disable grass grower script to save on overhead, if "Eliminate_origin_mesh" is also selected will erase the original grass and leave only the batched items.

The above will take place when a batcher is full if extra real time paiting is needed, so make sure to paint grass tightly to fully fill all combiners in that mode.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE & InfiniGRASS forest, with dynamic grass without performance hit

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The v1.5 is now ready and i will test more and submit tomorrow. Also a google drive upload will be available asap.

Now i am finalizing the new demo with Sky Master ULTIMATE & manual and should be ready soon for preview.

I will post the full feature list in a bit as well.

The pack may get a small price increase ($65 from $60), so make sure to grab it in the current lower price.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

The manual is now done and the demo with Sky Master ULTIMATE is close to finilized as well, i post a few pics.

The submission is on track for tomorrow.

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A few more tweaks and checks have gone in to cover best the case where the new elimination system for performance is used with the gradual growth & re-creation mode (which is the most complex case). In this mode the growers wont be disabled and the elimination will only happen when batchers are fully filled.

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE River water with InfiniGRASS foliage - rocks

Dynamic gradual snow growth with InfiniGRASS foliage - trees & Sky Master ULTIMATE

InfiniGRASS foliage - trees with Sky Master ULTIMATE Volumetric gradient fog

InfiniGRASS v1.5 has been submitted to the Asset Store and is pending review.

Webplayer Forest demo
    - InfiniGRASS v1.5 with Sky Master ULTIMATE for water-fog:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/INFINIDY/INFINIGRASS/INFINIGRASSv15_FOREST_DEMO.html
    .​

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.5 is now up at the Asset Store
    Enjoy :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  28. nasos_333

nasos_333

A big thanks for all the reviews so far that have helped move the pack to its current state & with the development of all the extra features !! The 17 written (all perfect 5 star) reviews were a great help with the development & progress on the system.

New offer until the mid of March !!!

Review InfiniGRASS and help the pack move forward and have a chance to win vouchers for Sky Master ULTIMATE, InfiniTREE, Particle Dynamic Magic and Advanced FX Creator !!

Please post here the name under which the review was given to take part in the offer.

The offer ends at 15th of March & the winners will be announced on the 16th.

InfiniGRASS is ON SALE for a limited time !!!

The new features for the upcoming v1.6 include full procedural mode, seasonal effects and dynamic growth and much more features, plus a wide range of new brushes and tree samples

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS is featured in the asset store front page :)

A big thanks to the Unity team

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

A summary of features for v1.6 and beyond

- Full procedural mode, where grass wont have to painted in the editor and will be grown basd on rules in play time to fill in the map. This mode will blend with the editor paimted grass.
    - Seasonal grass and foliage growth system, with smooth gradual transitions between seasonal states
    - Texture based grass placement, for application of multiple grass types per mass placement application in mesh terrains
    - Vertex grass Mobile shader variety (currently transparent shader is converted to SM2.0)
    - Addition of mobile version for all brushes (currently only the base grass is mobile ready)
    - new ground color vertex blend mode based on splat maps to get different grass looks based on ground texture in Unity terrains (currently only textured mesh ground is supported for this effect).
    - Include option to turn multithreading on/off easilly through the Inspector (e.g. for building for WebGL)
    - the grass will be leaving the Interactive state automatically if has been pressed down beyond a threshold, for performance enchancement in dynamic grass
    - checks to make sure grass is better spread when painted, so brushes dont fall very close to each other, for performance enchancement in dynamic grass
    - more shader based temporal grass interaction features
    - procedurally changed ground and rocks, as a first step for a complete world creation suit (InfiniROCK and InfiniGROUND systems)
    - procedurally changed grass shape, for unlimited variety without any extra asset creation !!!
    - extend gravity emulation shader features, for emulating gravity and wind mode combined effect
    - additional noise to wind emulation for better top down results and look and local wind
    - many new grass types, including new stackable rocks (rocks that can be painted on top of each other for creating formations) and more trees
    - Local wind
    - Lerp with custom vector for better control of ground adaptation (for better control in the new tree brush placement)
    - Tile based system (with various ways of defining / calling the tiles & pooling)
    - Gradual Grass burning in real time
    - A mini game that will showcase the prefab instantiation and gradual growth methods. I plan to create a maze like and a tile based mini game templetes and evaluate the possibilities of procedural and prefab based stages creation.
    - Shadow manager, for automatic refinement of Unity shadow settings
    - Conversion of Unity grass/trees to InfiniGRASS automatically.
    - GAIA support, for spreading the grass in GAIA mode and additional features to complement with the InfiniGRASS unique features (which Unity grass does not support).
    - PBR materials

Please remember to review the system if possible.
    Every review counts and helps a lot with the development of the new features.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  31. DragonRider

DragonRider

Looks good!
    But the depth of field effect in most of those images ( and the webplayer demo ) makes it really hard to make out details in most of the shot, kind of gets in the way.

nasos_333 likes this.
  32. nasos_333

nasos_333

I use it beacause it adds some nice AA in back and a cinematic look, i will try to export a demo with some other AA method as well later and post some pics with that and with and without blur. Also the standard blur is rather expensive, maybe i will try some more optimized assets in the store for that as well.

The demos are always an ongoing matter, so a lot more will come in that regard. Also the near detail in the demos can be previewed i think, the blur is mainly at a distance. Some pics like the fairy forest use extra bloom for a dreamy look, that adds an extra blurry feeling, that is intentional in these cases (but can take further tweaking when adapting for actual gameplay for sure)

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  34. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few more pics from the WIP

UPDATE:

I had many requests for WebGL development, thus i decided to create a v1.6 of the asset with complete WebGL support and a switch to easilly turn Multithreading on/off for building in WebGL (which does not support Multithreading)

This will be submitted as priority tomorrow and will be up early next week.

It is possible to build for WebGL with the current system, but requires a change in 2 lines of code to set Multithreading off in the batcher script, this will not be required in v1.6 and everything will be handled in the Inspector directly without any coding.

InfiniGRASS is ON SALE for a limited time !!!

Rycons likes this.
  35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Another major enchancement will arrive in v1.6

A new mode for trees (and other items that need to rotate to a specific direction, like vines), that will stop the lerp with the normal and use only a precise randomized rotation (or no rotation) to get all trees 100% vertical or aligned to custom vector if needed.

The tree and vines brushes will be updated with this option (option will be checked by default in the updated prefabs). The already painted trees and vines wont be affected (as the option is disabled by default).

The coming V1.6 is a major release, as it brings the tree system one big step forward and gives much more control over the orientation.

Also there is now easy control of Multithreading, so the system is WebGL ready as well.

The new version will be submitted on Monday and will be up next week.

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.6 features and tweaks

- Fixed issue where the randomized rotation slider would reset the values to 0.05 - 1 range (now is -360 to 360)
    - New option to use custom rotation and randomized rotation along both Up and Right vectors, for more randomization possibilities
    - New option to define initial prefab item orientarion (along Up or Forward vectors) to use for the planting and rotations.
    - Changed vines and pine trees to use the above mentioned new rotation and original orientation features (applies in the new custom angle mode, old painted trees remain unaffected)
    - New new tree sample, that also nincludes and showcases LOD useage on trees
    - New stackable rocks brush
    - Full WebGL support
    - Option to turn on/off Multithreading as desired by the target system

37. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE

A reminder On the LOD system:

For the LODs to be created properly, the shadow casting, receieving and mesh filters must all be disabled on the LOD items.The materials of the LOD items must have the words LOD0, LOD1 or LOD2 to be grabbed as LODs.

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.6 features and tweaks

- Fixed issue where the randomized rotation slider would reset the values to 0.05 - 1 range (now is -360 to 360)
    - New option to use custom rotation and randomized rotation along both Up and Right vectors, for more randomization possibilities
    - New option to define initial prefab item orientarion (along Up or Forward vectors) to use for the planting and rotations.
    - Changed vines and pine trees to use the above mentioned new rotation and original orientation features (applies in the new custom angle mode, old painted trees remain unaffected)
    - New tree sample (Twist Pine), that also includes and showcases LOD useage on trees
    - New stackable rocks brush
    - Full WebGL support
    - Option to turn on/off Multithreading as desired by the target system
    - Added notes on the Inspactor about LOD usage, for direct reference
    - Fixed issue where during the editor grass paiting, the last brush would not rotate towards the proper direction due to batching taking place before the final rotation happened (the grass rotated properly afterwards during play time or after another brush was painted in editor, now it rotates properly at all times)

InfiniGRASS v1.6 is ready for release, i will test it a bit more and submit the system to the store tomorrow. A download link will also be available for direct access on PM request.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  39. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.6 is now up on Google Drive link and available immediately on PM request. Please attach the invoice PDF in the PM for reference.

This is a major release, so it is suggested to backup your project and scenes before insertion.

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

A video on the tweaking of the Stop Motion Distance parameter in the new v1.5+ versions, for adjusting the interactivity radius in the shader based interactive grass, when the world scale changes.

The Stop Motion Distance parameter disctates the radius of the inetraction with the shader (be it stop the wind in older version or enable player velocity based displacement in v1.5+) of the player (or camera if no player is defined)

The Stop Motion Distance parameter is also used to stop grass motion in the previous version of the shader, for stopping the blend of shader motion when enabling the scripted (permanent) interaction with grass near the interactor.

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

The free packs offer is now offically over and the winners will be annouced soon.

Everyone that has participated may make a list of all the available assets (Sky Master ULTIMATE, Particle Dynamic Magic, Toon Effects Maker, InfiniTREE & Advanced FX Creator) in most wanted order , so i can spread them properly

More info: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/on...c-grass-everywhere.351694/page-7#post-2541189

There were 5 entries in total, so everyone wins an asset :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  42. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS discount, last day !!! The new v1.6 releases soon (major version release)

Make sure to grab the asset at the current lower price, while it lasts

v1.6 is coming tomorrow and the price is reset to normal (there is a slight chance that the review will happen on Monday though, but is only a guess, so officially this is the last certain day of the discounted price)

v.1.6 is also available on PM request immediately for current users, in google drive download

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  44. nasos_333

nasos_333

New demo WIP with Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 (new volume clouds system) and InfiniGRASS v1.6

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

Video of the new demo, working with Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4

46. mgear

mgear

Hi,

If i want to have 2-3 mixed grass types randomly, does that work easily? (and moss in ground would be nice too, below the other foliage/grass..)
    (aiming for typical nordic forest ground looks, no waving, no default grass - ref image)

Also could it be possible to get similar looks like this below? (if have some good textures)
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BvZVD

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Make sure to lower the collider size so the extra grass wont be stopped by this (as grass wont paint on other grass by default, based on its central collider size)

You can also layer grass (use multiple grass managers) and paint at will with each one and remove the other ones by either disable or ungrow of grass, this will give zero limits in grass placement (since there wont be any colliders)

It is definitly possible to get any placement, as the grass is freely distributed everywhere with few limitations that all can be overcome (like the colliders one)

It is possible to get the look in the pic with the proper texturing, but make sure to set the LOD cutoff lower since it will be a lot of detail and make sure the ground texture beneath can act as replacement in the distance (this is advised in general with such low grass case, as the distant low grass will not be very visible)

I will be expanding my samples to try and match these cases as well for next version. The low grass in my samples would be the best to start with.

Let me know for any other questions

mgear likes this.
  48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Use of InfiniGRASS with orthographics top-down camera. This is the default grass and not artistically altered to best fit top down look, so it can look much better with the correct alterations to the texture based grass prefabs (like a slight rotation to be more horizontal)

Also there is an extra option to give randomized rotations to the grass, which is also not used in the pics above and can give extra volume and cover the ground better in both vertex and texture based grass.

The ambient lighting is regulated by Sky Master ULTIMATE ambient system from the dynamic sky box based on the time of day and physically based sky rendering.

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

One more feature added for InfiniGRASS v1.7

- Distant 3D forest brush, with special shader and features, for optimized distant forests (e.g. for airplane view)

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some known issues with the current system:

- Strange grass waving issue in smaller scales (with new local temporal interaction shader), please set the "Stop motion distance" parameter lower depending on the scale of the world. For a 1:1 world scale use numbers close to 1 or 2.

- For linear color space, the specular power need to be placed lower than in gamma default. Also the coloration is affected by specular a bit differently so i will try to adapt the system for linear space better in the next version