Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building InfiniGRASS STUDIO✅-Massively optimized,interactive & non uniform volume grass for procedural worlds

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by nasos_333, Aug 24, 2015.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS with various image effects (AA, SSAO, global fog Sky Master 3 etc)

InfiniGRASS v1.2 features:

- Unity Editor grass painting speed enchancement. Previewing grass in the Unity Editor will now be as fast as the in game performance. Painting speed has also been enchanced and proper brush settings are set automatically.

- Object follow mode. Grass may follow the translation/rotation of the object it is painted on.

- Two extra LOD stages added, for better control of ultra detailed items

- Many extra brushes added (rocks and mushrooms have been setup with the new LOD system)

- Grass scaling based on Unity Terrain splat maps (with weights for smooth transitions from tall to short grass)

- Tint and specularity/translucency effects are now applied per grass type, for more control over each brush look

- Some smaller enchancements, fixes and performance tweaks (fixed issue where grass would loose scaling in play mode after un-grow, fixed issue where Unity Terrain is needed to paint otherwise produced an error, added option to avoid hiting grass own collider while planting, added option to randomize brush rotation etc)

The pack will be submitted soon, probably tomorrow as the testing took a bit more (since using the batching in the editor was a major change that requires lots and lots of testing to make sure everything will be perfect)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    MarcusWatson likes this.
  2. Acissathar

Acissathar

Is it possible to see a screenshot of the grass "at night"? The project I'm currently working on is pretty dimly lit, and I'm just curious how the grass looks without a lot of ambient or sunlight.

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I have taken the above pics at night.

It is also possible to sample the grass at any time of day in the Sky Master 3.0 demo:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/INFINIDY/INFINIGRASS/INFINIGRASS_SKYMASTER3_DEMO.html

The grass specularity can also be adjusted to give a better edge lit look or dim lighting at will.

4. Acissathar

Acissathar

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

I will also post some more pics i just took from the demo. I never pass the opportunity to take some more pics :)

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some dusk and night pics, from the demo with Sky Master 3.0

Acissathar likes this.
  7. nasos_333

nasos_333

After rain, made using Sky Master 3.0 (Sky, volumetric fog, refractive rain, terrain shading) and InfiniGRASS v1.2 (submitted at the store yesterday)

Version 1.2 will be priced at $50 (final price will be $60 for v1.x cycle)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  8. nasos_333

nasos_333

On cloud overcast and sun after rain.

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

New moss brush is now in the works and will come in v1.3 of the pack.

The v1.2 update should be up on the store soon, probably today or tomorrow. Usually updates take a lot less to pass review than the original release. It was submitted on monday.

MarcusWatson likes this.
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Wet scene, in the next update i will also try to emulate water drops on grass on shader

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Playing with Sky Master fog and image filter possibilities.

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

New brushes WIP for v1.3 (leaf bed, moss etc)

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Grass side view

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

About InfiniGRASS v1.2 update:

The v1.2 update was submitted on Monday. Since it has not passed review yet and it is probably going for Monday, i can provide a dropbox link of v1.2 for anyone interested asap, so the pack can be used with the new much improved speed in the Unity Editor (Editor speed is now as good as in play mode, using the same system), plus all the new features.

I hope the pack update gets released later today, but it is a busy period on the store and there is no way to know when it will be available.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Grassy sphere in water and weed in shallows. All grass moves with the items it is painted on.

Using Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0 water

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.2 is now available through dropbox link

The v1.2 update was submitted on Monday.

Since it has not passed review yet and it is to be released next week, i can provide a dropbox link of v1.2 for anyone interested, so the pack can be used with the new much improved speed in the Unity Editor (Editor speed is now as good as in play mode, using the same system), plus all the new features.

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

"Ruins" brush (everythig in the map is painted with InfiniGRASS, snow coverage is performed by Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0)

"Reliastic rock" brush WIP

UPDATE:
    New "realistic rocks" brush for v1.3. A "ruins" and "fern" brush is also in the works.

InfiniGRASS v1.2 is now available through dropbox link

The v1.2 update was submitted on Monday.

Since it has not passed review yet and it is to be released next week, i can provide a dropbox link of v1.2 for everyone interested, so the pack can be used with the new much improved speed in the Unity Editor (Editor speed is now as good as in play mode, using the same system), plus all the new features.

MarcusWatson likes this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.2 will be out on the store early next week.

The price will be raised to $50, so make sure to grab the pack while it is still in the lower pricing. Also the final pack price will be $60 and will be set later in the month.

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

Pics from the new WIP demo for v1.3

InfiniGRASS v1.2 should be up in the store this week (it was submitted last Monday).

I also have a dropbox link for v1.2, which i can provide in PM upon request.

Debhon likes this.
  20. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.2 is now up at the Unity Asset Store !!!

InfiniGRASS v1.2 features:

- Unity Editor grass painting speed enchancement. Previewing grass in the Unity Editor will now be as fast as the in game performance. Painting speed has also been enchanced and proper brush settings are set automatically.

- Object follow mode. Grass may follow the translation/rotation of the object it is painted on.

- Two extra LOD stages added, for better control of ultra detailed items

- Many extra brushes added (rocks and mushrooms have been setup with the new LOD system)

- Grass scaling based on Unity Terrain splat maps (with weights for smooth transitions from tall to short grass)

- Tint and specularity/translucency effects are now applied per grass type, for more control over each brush look

- Some smaller enchancements, fixes and performance tweaks (fixed issue where grass would loose scaling in play mode after un-grow, fixed issue where Unity Terrain is needed to paint otherwise produced an error, added option to avoid hiting grass own collider while planting, added option to randomize brush rotation etc)

MarcusWatson likes this.
  21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Using InfiniGRASS with smaller than my demo world scales

Here is a small guide of what is important to alter when smaller world scales are used.

The spread must be set a lot lower, to match the lower brush size. I post a pic that shows the setting for a smaller size.

The gizmos can be scaled using "Gizmos scale" parameter in paint settings or turned off using "Toggle Gizmos" global parameter. Collider may also be turned off.

Also i set the shadow distance to 10 (30-40 also works) from 530 in the demo, to get the perfect shadows.

The picture also has a grass painted with the demo default size for reference and some other parameters mentioned that may require tweaking (wind, fade and stop motion distances etc).

In the next update, i will add a global world scale parameter, that will affect all settings and start brushes correctly for the chosen world size. Also i will add a control for the oscillation power of wind, so there wont be a need to be manually changed in the material ("Smooth Wave Motion" parameter, in smaller scales it needs to be set higher to smooth out the wind oscillation for the smaller brush size).

I hope these help, please let me know for more questions that come up during adjustement for lower scaled worlds.

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Features planned for InfniGRASS v1.3
    - Mass spread of grass using terrain splat textures (weighted)
    - Global scale parameter to easilly adjust brushes for the desired world scale
    - New ultra realistic forest (with pond) demo, that will also use the latest Sky Master ULTIMATE version to present how the grass works with the Water and Snow systems.
    - Many new brushes (more rock types, moss, plants and much more)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    MarcusWatson likes this.
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some extra features in the to do list, that came up from user suggestions:

- Ability to assign multiple materials per brush for wind / fade control in the Grass Manager (now only one material is supported per brush, the rest will keep their original wind etc parameters, if more than one grass materials is assigned to a brush)

- Ability to easilly add new icons for new custom brushes preview in the Grass Manager

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

One more feature to consider for next version(s)

- For massive grass quantities of the InfiniGRASS super detail, it is required to have a system to gradually grow the ungrown grass when entering the game (currently all ungrown grass is grown at game start). This is usefull for lower on RAM systems and will also make entering the game a lot faster.

Entering the game faster is already possible with some extra coding, so the ungrown grass may be enabled gradually over multiple frames in the game Update() than inStart(). The ram issue is more complicated, as grass needs to be eliminated or pooled and placed as the hero moves, so this requires lot of testing and is probably going to come in later versions.

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I worked on the mass placement as priority and now have both the placement (for a single brush, one time, now testing more brushes and repeating placements) and gradual real time growth bases working fine.

I can mass plant based on a density factor and two transforms that define the area to plant on and the grass is ungrown so the growth is fast. I will add some aid to preview the grass placement as a means to know where it is planted as a next step.

Also now the grass can be grown gradually as option and based on hero distance on play mode, so the grass will grow only around the hero at game start and then will gradually be grown as the hero moves around. This eliminates the big initial delay if there is massive grass quantity ungrown at game start.

These require a lot more testing, polishing and controls though (i will also add splt map based placement option, scaling is already in), so i will work on them more and post updates of the progress. The only thing missing now is mass placement of another brush after one has already been mass planted, this will require a bit to get right and lots of testing so i am sure there are no issues.

Please if you like the pack, when possible, leave a review so i can work much faster on upcoming updates.

As i am a one man team, reviews help a lot in keeping the developement for packs full time and delivering extra features much faster.

Thanks a lot in advance for any reviews for the packs.​

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Automatically placed grass on terrain, based on splt map and splat weights for detail.

UPDATE:

On the mass placement of grass, everything is going great, i can plant per spalt map and also add variety in edges using the splat weights, for more interesting look

Also it is possible to define brush per splat map and absense of brush on splat map.

Now i am testing and looking at ways to allow multiple mass placements with one Manager
    (currently only one placement is possible)

On the gradual growth of grass in run time, to avoid RAM and game start delay limitations, this is proving to be rather difficult to tweak, as there are two factors that create an issue, one is garbage collection as i erase grass to free RAM and the other is spikes when grass needs to be created as the hero moves around in bulk. The issue is worst when the ground speed is very fast, as grass needs to be created/destroyed at a faster rate.

After lots of tweaking i have managed to have a passable frame rate when the cut off distance is low, but for larger distances lots of grass is created / destroyed and batched/unbatched creating spikes, or the grass is delayed to appear if i spread a lot into frames to avoid spikes.

The solution is twofold, one is to apply a pooling method for the erase/create of grass blades (that is very advanced though, so will be coming in later updates, if i manage to make it happen) and the other to device a more sophisticated algorithm as to what will be recreated/erased and when, than a simple distance check all around the hero (even where he does not look at).

I think it will be possible if i add more contraints to get a much smoother experience when massive grass is required and need to be recreated/destroyed to free RAM, but will take some time.

I am looking at various optimization options and i will post results regularly on progress.

Note that the grass can theoretically be infinite in the current system (v1.2), but the scene start delay to recreate the grass and RAM fill up will be proportional to the grass amount, thus physical limitations apply which need to be addressed with the above described methods.

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

One more pic from the new forest demo.

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS with Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0

This area is created with a few clicks in the new Sky Master v3.0 configurator and everything works out of the box without any further setup requirement. There is a lot to be done still, adding some filters automatically and changing to an udnderwater sound when going below the surface etc

InfiniGRASS is fully integrated into Sky Master v3.0 and can receive gradual snow growth and melt away depending on weather. Also it is compatible with the new Ocean system for all kinds of cool underwater foliage, rocks formations etc creation.

Sky Master ULTIMATE
    v3.0, Grass created with InfiniGRASS v1.2

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Features planned for InfniGRASS v1.3

- New ultra realistic forest (with pond) demo, that will also use the latest Sky Master ULTIMATE version to present how the grass works with the Water and Snow systems.
    - Ability to assign multiple materials per brush for wind / fade control in the Grass Manager (now only one material is supported per brush, the rest will keep their original wind etc parameters, if more than one grass materials is assigned to a brush)
    - Ability to easilly add new icons for new custom brushes preview in the Grass Manager
    - New actions for the dynamic phase, like grass harvesting etc
    - Option to glow grass gradually as the hero moves, when ungrown when entering play mode.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  30. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Global Scaling system hotfix is now available through dropbox

I have created a system to scale the grass brushes based on the desired world scale, for easy migration from my demo scale to smaller or larger world scales.

I can provide the new script as a hotfix for everyone that is interested and would like to have the scaling automated. After the world scale is selected, it is still possible to refine all parameter values manually as well, the scaling will apply only when the brush is selected to the default painting values.

Also this hotfix fixes an issue at very small scales, where very small grass would resize to a bigger scale, making grass look uniform.

Clarification about LOD distances

The LOD distances (Close, Mid, Far, Cutoff) are the distances where each LOD (LOD1-2-3 respectively) will appear.

The grass brushes have no LODs defined, so the LOD0 is their cutoff (as there is no LOD0 to show). The Mushroom and Rocks have LODs defined, so they will vanish at their cutoff

Also note that the Fade distance is a global parameter, so the cutoff distances should all be created above this chose distance. In the next version i plan to have Fade per brush as well.

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Another bug has been fixed in smaller scales, when the grass is deleted and then an undo is performed, the recreation of grass missed the scaling of colliders, so in small scales the collider 1,1,1 scale made most of the grass not regrow.

This is now fixed in the upcoming v1.3.

For the current version, in smaller scales it is advised to avoid doing an undo after grass deletion and use the eraser to delete the grass.

I am now also working on a small issue with the windzone, when one is set without using the inspector "add windzone" button, this will cause the wind to not update/be affected properly by the inspector.

As a solution for the current version, always define windzone in GrassManager

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

New Forest Demo for v1.3

UPDATE:

Most of the new features are now implemented and working great, many new fixes and enchancements are coming in v1.3, including a new way to gradually grow grass as the player moves around, which provides a way to have massive grass amount spread on a single scene, for bigger maps.

Mass growth based on splat textures (weighted) is also finilized and works great, it paints correctly on all items and then movable items can also be displaced and move the grass around.

I am now polishing and testing extensively and i will also implement a way to add icons for the custom brushes in the editor, for easier reference.

A global scale parameter has also been added, making the transition to any world scale much easier, by automatically setting all relevant options to the correct scale based on the desired world size.

Please if you like the pack, when possible, leave a review so i can work much faster on upcoming updates.

As i am a one man team, reviews help a lot in keeping the developement for packs full time and delivering extra features much faster.

Thanks a lot in advance for any reviews for the packs.​

33. Patico

Patico

Whoa! It looks like exactly what I need! =) Are you already publish it (I didn't found any link)?

nasos_333 likes this.
  34. nasos_333

nasos_333

It has been released and has also receieved the first major update (v1.2) that increased the speed in Unity Editor for grass preview and added object follow mode (the grass painted on the spheres can follow them around in translation and rotation).

The next v1.3 is also a major update as it will allow the gradual growth of grass on a map, thus it is possible to have a vast map with lots of grass without RAM limitation, plus a mass grass placement feature for filling up spaces quickly (which can then be refined with the erase tool) and a global scaler for adapting brushes to the desired world size.

v1.3 is fully functional and i am doing the usual super extensive testing to make sure everything plays well and will be released soon

Store Link: http://u3d.as/jiM

Webplayer Demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/INFINIDY/INFINIGRASS/INFINIGRASS_PAINT_DEMO.html

35. marcipw

marcipw

I will definitely put a review up soon.
    I have been testing with Vuforia on mobile and the performance is great!

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), reviews help a lot when creating the updates and help me focus and work full time on the packs, so they are invaluable to the effort

There are many fixes and enchancements also coming to v1.3, which will further increase versatility and allow even bigger worlds. For example grass wont have to grow all at once on game start when entering the game in ungrown state and can be gradually created to eliminate the large start time. I have also added a grass elimination system to free RAM as the hero moves around as well.

Plus a mass placement system and a global scaling system for brushes, that will make it much easier to fill in worlds with foliage.

What mobile platform is used ? I have ported the shaders to SM2.0 but i could not get my (rather basic) Android to have them display correctly.

37. marcipw

marcipw

I am using a Galaxy Note 3. It was just a quick test but the shaders looked fine to me.
    Not as beautiful as the shots above but acceptable for my needs at the mo.

I am due for an upgrade but waiting (and hoping) for a UK release date for the Note 5 and GearVR.

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

That is super cool, i had no idea the shaders worked on some mobiles :), I will try to offer full compatibility shaders for all platforms as well in later updates.

I suppose Note 5 could come even closer to the desktop look, so would be exiting to see how the system works there as well.

39. nasos_333

nasos_333

Automatic scaling of brushes based on world size, Mass grass placement feature

Icons based selection for custom user defined brushes

Multiple mass placements are supported, planted grass can then normally be refined with the erase and paint tools. Grass can also be moved with the objects it painted on in editor (that would be an easy way to defne exclusion areas, the extra grass can be painted on a occlusion item and then the item can be moved away and have the extra grass removed if needed or be kept for later use etc (or not use the PPaint tag and have grass excluded by default)

Testing the mass placement feature. For v1.3 the area is defined by two handlers (which are movable to easilly define the area). I am also considering having a spline based area definition for later updates.

Also the custom brushes can now have their own icon very easilly and be selected from the icon menu (previously were only selectable with the slider below the icons)

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Forest demo (v1.3)

41. FuRy

FuRy

How long til v1.3 is out? I'm having is sues with scaling atm in v1.2

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I can send the version this weekend in a dropbox link to avoid waiting for the store review.

I need to test a bit more to make sure it is all working ok, so this will take a few more days.

I have a dropbox link with v1.2a that includes only the scaling, with minor issues (specifically gizmos are not autoscaled, undo on a deleted grass creates a bigger collider than the previously painted one and the flowers shader has to have wind removed ("Buldge Scale" parameter in shader set to zero) otherwise has a strange shape at game start, then goes back to normal).

Note also that the windzone has to be created by the GrassManager button, otherwise wont work and this is also resolved in v1.3 (any windzone can be inserted and will work ok)

I will PM v1.2a link, if you would like to use this version right away and i am working on testing v1.3 for release.

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

New grass type for v1.3

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Forest with InfniGRASS and Sky Master v3.0 (gradient based volumetric fog)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    iddqd likes this.
  45. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I have been testing v1.3 and everything seems ok, so i hope i can have the version ready to download very soon, i need to test a bit more as there is so much new combinations so the download will be ready tomorrow or Sunday the latest.

Also while testing i came up with many new ideas for v1.4

Features coming after v1.3 release

- Possibility to grab grass growers from real time painted grass and insert to the Grass Manager in editor mode for later use or save with the scene.

- Mass grass grow will not only place grass based on brush features and splat maps as in v1.3, but will also decide to place brushes based on slope angle and various other combinations and features. The goal will be to have a super varied forest bed with just one mass spread and refine from there.

- Branches brush that can be painted on trees for extra detail.

- Brushes rework with LODs and snow for all the v1.3 grasses (now only rocks and mushrooms have all LOD levels defined). This will ideally coincide with Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0 release.

- More shader features for both grass and rocks

- Many new brushes for grass, rocks and fences, plus extra vegetation types

- Extra mass grass optimization methods, to further reduce grass that is not contributing much to the overall look, for even more performance enchancement

- Per brush wind modifier, to fine tune wind for every on grass type (that can already be done by tweaking shader parameters on material level, and controls will be added in the inspector for easy access)

Thanks a lot in advance for any reviews for the packs.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  46. nasos_333

nasos_333

One more feature i am considering and forgot to add to the above list, is spline based mass growth,with grass spawn inside the spline or along the path.

Also pooling of the unused grass parts (outside hero grass growth range), so the new in v1.3 gradual growth system can be even more efficient.

Also

- New actions for the dynamic phase, like grass harvesting etc
    - Noise based distribution and scaling for Mass plant

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  47. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

InfiniGRASS v1.3 is uploaded and will be up soon for dropbox download.

It will also be up at the store next week.

InfiniGRASS v1.3 features

- Option to grow grass gradually as the hero moves, when ungrown in play mode. Also grass can be erased at the cutoff distance in order to lower RAM usage.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  48. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

One more feature is added for the next version (v1.4)

- Noise based distribution and scaling in Mass Placement module, that will also blend with slopes and the current splat map based scaling and placement.

This will add an extra variety factor where this is needed.

49. brute-

brute-

Wow this asset looks amazing. Buying it when 1.3V is up on the store. I need the hero mode and splatmap auto-place.
    How are custom grasses defined? Is there a limitation to how many different grasses can be used?

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

There is no limit and any item can be used for the grass definition, then it is a matter of how the wind will be emulated, so essentially anything can go in with the proper shader alterations and i plan many more things to come in that regard.

The mushrooms and rock brushes are an example of the possibilities, anything can be used and placed with the same system and have the LOD and all dynamic features like the grass.

After v1.3 all limits about grass quantity in massive maps, mainly RAM related, are also lifted (grass will only grow around the hero at game start, eliminating the initial massive growth of v1.2 and can also be optionally erased to free RAM as hero moves around) and the only limitations now are in the trade offs between grass density, hero speed and regrowth rates.

Essentially grass can now really be infinite, depending on the machine power, with all the special detail, shading, variety etc.

Multiple managers may also be used to separate various grass needs, for example one manager could hold the massive filler grass ungrown with gradual regrowth and other managers may hold pre-grown grass with lots of density for specific key areas that will be available on game start, so it wont go in a regrow state.

I am sure many more combinations and optimizations can be made in that regard as well, i have only done the basic systems and the next updates after v1.3 will be about optimizing this base system further.

Another thing i will add later is a noise function in Mass Spread system, to further play with the biggest adventage of the system which is the natural and varied grass placement and avoidance of uniformity.

There is already both placement and scaling depending on splat maps and surface normal, but a lot more ideas can go in as extra layers for non uniformity.

I have uploaded v1.3 on dropbox, so i can send it for use right away as well, before the store release.