Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're running great holiday deals on subscriptions, swag and Asset Store packages! Take a peek at this blog for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out our Unite Austin 2017 YouTube playlist to catch up on what you missed. More videos coming soon.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

InfiniGRASS v2.0 - Next gen interactive & true non uniform volume grass, procedural worlds, pooling

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by nasos_333, Aug 24, 2015.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Video from v2.0 WIP, new brushes

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WIP on InfiniGRASS v2.0, extreme stress demo with super high view distances (Sky Master ULTIMATE is used for lighting and volume clouds)

XaloX likes this.
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pre-Beta is now available for download, let me know in PM with the invoice for everyone interested

4. w_adams

w_adams

Hi, I just purchased the asset, and I'm sorry for such a basic question, but how do I turn off the wind effects? Unchecking "toggle wind" doesn't do anything.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Make sure to add a windzone first, so the system can pass the properties to the shader and try reducing both the wind and turbulence after that. Let me know if this solved the issue.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

[​IMG]

Pic and video from the InfiniGRASS v2.0 WIP, in combination with Sky Master ULTIMATE lighting and new clouds system (also WIP) Video showcases Shaping, Erase (in batch or shader level) and Burning of grass.

XaloX likes this.
  7. nasos_333

nasos_333

[​IMG][​IMG]

WIP on Unity 5.6+ GPU instancing, the Unity 5.6+ shaders can now halve the draw calls using instancing on the materials.

Also shown in the pic is combination with the new Volumetric Clouds (InfiniCLOUD-top pic) and Volumetric Local Lights in Sky Master ULTIMATE v4

XaloX likes this.
  8. XaloX

XaloX

@nasos_333 That's AWESOME!!!! :D is there a lot of lag in those pictures?

Cheers!!
    NuclearRasberry

nasos_333 likes this.
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system is super fast even with the multiple image effects, sky system and the new local volumetrics (plus the directional light volumetrics in current Sky Master and global gradient fog)

I use Unity 5.6+ instancing method for the grass which reduces a lot the draw calls over the base system as well (did the shader conversion the day before yesterday and there is a big reduction in draw calls, more than half the ones in pre-Unity 5.6 versions)

I will release a demo with Unity 5.6 system soon too, for gauging performance in individual systems.

Here is a video, software recorded in my laptop (Dell XPS, i7) in 1080p, with InfiniGRASS v2.0 stress test (full ground coverage, with full shadows from and on everything and multiple grass types)

XaloX likes this.
  10. XaloX

XaloX

Awesome!!!!

Cheers!!!
    NuclearRasberry

nasos_333 likes this.
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

XaloX likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Update on WIP for next versions

Upcoming InfiniGRASS v1.7.7 update changes:

- added left mouse button painting option in Grass Manager
    - addressed warning about scene loading in multithreading module in Unity 5.4+
    - added save-load brush buttons in the brush settings area, for easier access after brush changes

Also i have created GPU instancing enabled variants of InfiniGRASS shaders that can save a big number of extra draw calls, i am currently evaluating them and will make a Unity 5.6 based release soon after v1.7.7 (also i can send the shaders right away on PM request)

ksam2 likes this.
  13. coverpage

coverpage

Hi @nasos_333 I need help for a couple of things.
    1. I'm using outdoor lighting box asset, it only does post processing using the post processing stack. However now there is dark "frame" on the grass
    2. When I reduce the world scale, the grass seem to sway more vigorously. When the grass is very small, the swaying becomes unrealistically horizontal most of the time. Is there a way to reduce the sway.
    Otherwise the grass looks great.
    screen_1920x1080_2017-08-19_22-36-29.png Untitled.png

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP UPDATE:

The new v1.7.7 of InfiniGRASS has been submitted for review to the store and should be up in the next few days.

InfiniGRASS v1.7.7
    - added left mouse button painting option in Grass Manager
    - addressed warning about scene loading in multithreading module in Unity 5.6+
    - added save-load brush buttons in the brush settings area, for easier access upon brush changes

New standalone Windows demos:

v17 demo with Sky Master ULTIMATE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBeXAtVWdDTWs4OHc

v17 SpeedTree & helicopter demo
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBVUt5Ukd6TEhnX1E

v14 scripted grass with Sky Master ULTIMATE
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBX0hJSlZUS1NRbUU

v17 demo
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBQWM4a3NTam9BQWc

v14 scripted grass
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBZ1BNU0RVekRNS2c

ksam2 likes this.
  15. ksam2

ksam2

If I start using v1.7.7 can I upgrade to v2 easily without losing my previous grass?

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

That is the plan, the existing grass will benefit from some of the features (but wont be using the pooling). Though i am thinking of ways to also use the pooling (which is generally possible, but a bit tricky with some specific v1.x placements)

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The current WIP on v1.x cycle has two major upgrades for the main shader

1. The shader can now use a max height adjustment variable, to regulate the upper bound of grass motion on interaction, which is useful in lower world scales. This removes the strange up-down motion of grass in smaller scales.

2. The shader now supports the native Unity fogging, for the cases where it is not used with Sky Master ULTIMATE volumetric fogs (which is the recommended mode for best result).

The main shader is immediately available on PM request (in Beta WIP form, but is near final & working, i only need to do a few extra tests) for anyone that wants to use it to solve the two above issues.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

[​IMG]
    WIP on endless grass fields and forests in InfiniGRASS v2.0. this map is completely rule based planted, there is no any extra manipulation done. The foliage after the rule based planting can be shaped, erased, or manipulated in various ways, including using sprite sheets for big variance with a single material !!! (both in editor time or in run time). A real time burn system can also set the grass fields on fire in a realistic manner.

Sky Master ULTIMATE is used for the volumetric lighting, fogging and clouds.

ksam2 likes this.
  19. Doctor06

Doctor06

Do you have an ETA for 2.0? not looking for an exact date. just like the second quarter of 2018?

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

The goal is always to make it as soon as possible, all the core features are 100% stable and working for some time now, but i want to be extra careful on the interface to avoid any issues with setup problems, as the system is now expanded by many times over the original with new Global Manager, Pooling, Realistic gradual Burning, Single Material Multi Type grass, Permanent Interaction and Grass Shaping, Precision Wind, Batched Billboards, Configurator systems and much more (including various converters from Unity grass, support for Map Magic and procedural worlds etc).

Also i need to adapt to Unity 5.6 GPU instancing (which is largely done and working and is now in testing phase) and deferred rendering, so there is some extra shader work to be done as well.

The current goal is to finalize it by January (with Beta hopefully come this year).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    ksam2, Doctor06 and Lex4art like this.
  21. nasos_333

nasos_333

ksam2 likes this.
  22. nasos_333

nasos_333

[​IMG]

New categories (Tab based) for Brush and Global settings (WIP), for better grouping control and separation of most important variables.

The image is from v2.0 Grass Manager, i will have a new v1.x version with that categorization as well before v2.0 release (v1.7.8), which will also support Unity 5.6+ GPU instancing and should be coming next week.

The Tab based grouping will be the default in the next versions, though can be reverted back to the all in one approach if required using the relevant checkbox.

ksam2 and Acissathar like this.
  23. Morcrist

Morcrist

Omigosh, thank you! On my old computer once I start getting tons of grass in-editor, scrolling back and forth to pick different grasses is SO HARD.

And yay, I look forward to next week!

I've not got SkyMaster implemented yet, but here are a few shots of my project's grass as I try to figure out what I'm doing:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Using Voxel Farm for the terrain.

Take care, and thanks for your awesome work!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017