Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building InfiniGRASS STUDIO✅-Massively optimized,interactive & non uniform volume grass for procedural worlds

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by nasos_333, Aug 24, 2015.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Video from v2.0 WIP, new brushes

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on InfiniGRASS v2.0, extreme stress demo with super high view distances (Sky Master ULTIMATE is used for lighting and volume clouds)

Rockwall33 likes this.
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

The pre-Beta is now available for download, let me know in PM with the invoice for everyone interested

4. w_adams

w_adams

Hi, I just purchased the asset, and I'm sorry for such a basic question, but how do I turn off the wind effects? Unchecking "toggle wind" doesn't do anything.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Make sure to add a windzone first, so the system can pass the properties to the shader and try reducing both the wind and turbulence after that. Let me know if this solved the issue.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Pic and video from the InfiniGRASS v2.0 WIP, in combination with Sky Master ULTIMATE lighting and new clouds system (also WIP) Video showcases Shaping, Erase (in batch or shader level) and Burning of grass.

Rockwall33 likes this.
  7. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on Unity 5.6+ GPU instancing, the Unity 5.6+ shaders can now halve the draw calls using instancing on the materials.

Also shown in the pic is combination with the new Volumetric Clouds (InfiniCLOUD-top pic) and Volumetric Local Lights in Sky Master ULTIMATE v4

Rockwall33 likes this.
  8. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

@nasos_333 That's AWESOME!!!! :D is there a lot of lag in those pictures?

Cheers!!
    NuclearRasberry

nasos_333 likes this.
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system is super fast even with the multiple image effects, sky system and the new local volumetrics (plus the directional light volumetrics in current Sky Master and global gradient fog)

I use Unity 5.6+ instancing method for the grass which reduces a lot the draw calls over the base system as well (did the shader conversion the day before yesterday and there is a big reduction in draw calls, more than half the ones in pre-Unity 5.6 versions)

I will release a demo with Unity 5.6 system soon too, for gauging performance in individual systems.

Here is a video, software recorded in my laptop (Dell XPS, i7) in 1080p, with InfiniGRASS v2.0 stress test (full ground coverage, with full shadows from and on everything and multiple grass types)

Rockwall33 likes this.
  10. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Awesome!!!!

Cheers!!!
    NuclearRasberry

nasos_333 likes this.
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Rockwall33 likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Update on WIP for next versions

Upcoming InfiniGRASS v1.7.7 update changes:

- added left mouse button painting option in Grass Manager
    - addressed warning about scene loading in multithreading module in Unity 5.4+
    - added save-load brush buttons in the brush settings area, for easier access after brush changes

Also i have created GPU instancing enabled variants of InfiniGRASS shaders that can save a big number of extra draw calls, i am currently evaluating them and will make a Unity 5.6 based release soon after v1.7.7 (also i can send the shaders right away on PM request)

ksam2 likes this.
  13. coverpage

coverpage

Hi @nasos_333 I need help for a couple of things.
    1. I'm using outdoor lighting box asset, it only does post processing using the post processing stack. However now there is dark "frame" on the grass
    2. When I reduce the world scale, the grass seem to sway more vigorously. When the grass is very small, the swaying becomes unrealistically horizontal most of the time. Is there a way to reduce the sway.
    Otherwise the grass looks great.
    screen_1920x1080_2017-08-19_22-36-29.png Untitled.png

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP UPDATE:

The new v1.7.7 of InfiniGRASS has been submitted for review to the store and should be up in the next few days.

InfiniGRASS v1.7.7
    - added left mouse button painting option in Grass Manager
    - addressed warning about scene loading in multithreading module in Unity 5.6+
    - added save-load brush buttons in the brush settings area, for easier access upon brush changes

New standalone Windows demos:

v17 demo with Sky Master ULTIMATE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBeXAtVWdDTWs4OHc

v17 SpeedTree & helicopter demo
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBVUt5Ukd6TEhnX1E

v14 scripted grass with Sky Master ULTIMATE
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBX0hJSlZUS1NRbUU

v17 demo
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBQWM4a3NTam9BQWc

v14 scripted grass
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBZ1BNU0RVekRNS2c

ksam2 likes this.
  15. ksam2

ksam2

If I start using v1.7.7 can I upgrade to v2 easily without losing my previous grass?

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

That is the plan, the existing grass will benefit from some of the features (but wont be using the pooling). Though i am thinking of ways to also use the pooling (which is generally possible, but a bit tricky with some specific v1.x placements)

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The current WIP on v1.x cycle has two major upgrades for the main shader

1. The shader can now use a max height adjustment variable, to regulate the upper bound of grass motion on interaction, which is useful in lower world scales. This removes the strange up-down motion of grass in smaller scales.

2. The shader now supports the native Unity fogging, for the cases where it is not used with Sky Master ULTIMATE volumetric fogs (which is the recommended mode for best result).

The main shader is immediately available on PM request (in Beta WIP form, but is near final & working, i only need to do a few extra tests) for anyone that wants to use it to solve the two above issues.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on endless grass fields and forests in InfiniGRASS v2.0. this map is completely rule based planted, there is no any extra manipulation done. The foliage after the rule based planting can be shaped, erased, or manipulated in various ways, including using sprite sheets for big variance with a single material !!! (both in editor time or in run time). A real time burn system can also set the grass fields on fire in a realistic manner.

Sky Master ULTIMATE is used for the volumetric lighting, fogging and clouds.

ksam2 likes this.
  19. Doctor06

Doctor06

Do you have an ETA for 2.0? not looking for an exact date. just like the second quarter of 2018?

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

The goal is always to make it as soon as possible, all the core features are 100% stable and working for some time now, but i want to be extra careful on the interface to avoid any issues with setup problems, as the system is now expanded by many times over the original with new Global Manager, Pooling, Realistic gradual Burning, Single Material Multi Type grass, Permanent Interaction and Grass Shaping, Precision Wind, Batched Billboards, Configurator systems and much more (including various converters from Unity grass, support for Map Magic and procedural worlds etc).

Also i need to adapt to Unity 5.6 GPU instancing (which is largely done and working and is now in testing phase) and deferred rendering, so there is some extra shader work to be done as well.

The current goal is to finalize it by January (with Beta hopefully come this year).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    ksam2, Doctor06 and Lex4art like this.
  21. nasos_333

nasos_333

ksam2 likes this.
  22. nasos_333

nasos_333

New categories (Tab based) for Brush and Global settings (WIP), for better grouping control and separation of most important variables.

The image is from v2.0 Grass Manager, i will have a new v1.x version with that categorization as well before v2.0 release (v1.7.8), which will also support Unity 5.6+ GPU instancing and should be coming next week.

The Tab based grouping will be the default in the next versions, though can be reverted back to the all in one approach if required using the relevant checkbox.

Crossway, ksam2 and Acissathar like this.
  23. Morcrist

Morcrist

Omigosh, thank you! On my old computer once I start getting tons of grass in-editor, scrolling back and forth to pick different grasses is SO HARD.

And yay, I look forward to next week!

I've not got SkyMaster implemented yet, but here are a few shots of my project's grass as I try to figure out what I'm doing:

Using Voxel Farm for the terrain.

Take care, and thanks for your awesome work!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    nasos_333 likes this.
  24. Crossway

Crossway

Please release :D

nasos_333 likes this.
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

Working around the clock on it. The new system is like 7 times that of the v1.x in features and new systems, so i hope i can deliver soon :). The core is 100% working for a lot of time now, so everything is fully stable and super fast. I will try to release a cool demo very soon too to showcase the possibilities.

Crossway likes this.
  26. nasos_333

nasos_333

With v2.0 the coverage can be increased without any further RAM usage of in game allocations and batching, so i think will be the absolute ideal for the case. Also i use GPU instancing which makes it even faster (in Unity 5.6+)

27. pixlweaver

pixlweaver

Sorry to pester - but is 2.0 getting close? Or the cool demo? I've been holding off on implementing Infinigrass into my current project since 2.0 release seemed not too far off. Can't wait to start testing it out.

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

It is getting closer, the core is working great and i am doing stuff like SpeedTree conversion and adding to the rule system now, plus finalizing the GUI and adding a spline system to the rules for planting on roads or creating paths etc (this will work on top of the splat map based rules)

I sent a WIP demo in PM to test too

pixlweaver likes this.
  29. pixlweaver

pixlweaver

Awesome, can't wait!

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Burn effect WIP for InfiniGRASS v2.0. Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0 is used for the volumetric lighting and clouds.

The effect is gradual and super optimized, plus it is a complete system with particles (also super optimized to take up the least possible using a single particle system).

31. creat327

creat327

what water is that that allows you to see outside and inside at the same time?

32. Duusty

Duusty

Would it be possible to get beta access to the 2.0 systems as soon as i buy a license?

Im really curious to test the new ground adaption system for my voxel based terrain as well as the grass burning feature.

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi

Sure, though the beta is not yet released. I hope to have it soon I am doing more work on the rule system adding spines and rule to rule effects e.g plant grass around trees in tree rule etc and a vines creator and all other spline integration work e.g. planting or erasing on spline paths and using offsets to do more detail and then should be ready to start the beta phase.

The ground adapt can work at run time as well adapting to real time terrain changes.

34. Duusty

Duusty

sounds awesome, would you mind to send me a msg as soon as you make it public?

for now, what timeframe do you expect the beta release to fall into?

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sure, i will also post in the forums when it is ready. I am working fully to have it by the end of next week, i am adding the spline system which can be a bit tricky though, so i will update as it goes on.

Ashley_Seric and pixlweaver like this.
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE (issue with Ambient Occlusion):

It has come to my attention that the grass has issue when Ambient Occlusion is activated. To solve this a variable change in the shader will enable the correct mode.

I attach an image based guide as to what variable must be changed in the shader, specifically the "TransparentCutout" must be changed to "TreeLeaf" in RenderType, which solves the various artifacts issue in the grass.

I will change this to the package and submit on the store as well soon.

Crossway likes this.
  37. eblumrich

eblumrich

Hey- I bought Infinigrass, and well...

Anytime I try and paint grass, the few elements that DO paint properly, don't show up, when you run a test of the scene, within Unity.

Any idea why this would be happening?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Did you set the lod distances to the right distance ? Note that brushes with no lod will cut off at the 1st lod distance

There is also a fade distance that is shader based that may need to be adjusted

And make sure to define the player since all distances are depending on the defined player

39. Xype

Xype

man do voxeland first haha. If you contact dennis he might work with ya on the MM/Voxeland integrations once he finishes up with the megasplat integration. I got one of the nvidia style grass shaders and set it up with voxeland in like 20 minutes but everytime I try to add more than one type of grass the editor freezes.

One reason that is not selfish I ask this, terrains are terrains, you make it work on unity terrain itll be cake to add to mapmagic, gaia or whatever else, but voxels arent terrain! Different thing, get that integrated and you can integrate anything!

Ill probably pick this up tonight and see about slapping it on Voxeland, which will likely be easier when dennis releases the next version but as long as you have a shader for the grass I should be able to tinker with it. Issue with voxel maps is the triplaner setup builds up verts quick but I wanna have lush grass and I will one of you guys will have that magic asset hopefully its yours!

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

My system i think will work for voxels, in sense that can both do grass in any direction with pooling and grass like a blanket without a collider (also with pooling option). This will be enabled in v2.0 of the system, so i hope will work in this case well.

The way it works can also enable real time adapt to any mesh, if that may be required. For example:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  41. Xype

Xype

Right right I will let you know how my test run goes, with voxels you can't just detect the grass texture or block type though you gotta make sure it only puts grass on the top layer or you will have nightmares.

The main thing I could see that may need to be done is getting your shader to set up a textureArray2D to hold the grasses, then just replace the voxeland grass shader (that does just that, but doesnt have the cool interactives)

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

The v2.0 will put grass only on top, though i suppose will require some tailoring around holes on terrain (since this is possible in voxels) and usage of the two different options to get grass everywhere.

43. Xype

Xype

itll probably work fine then hes got only on top working in voxeland. Holds 10 grass types, just its old fashioned only waves with wind grass boooring :)

44. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

This is looking really cool!! :D

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

One more video showing how it can blend meshes directly and on the fly.

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I decided to go all out on the new spline system and now it will also support the below
    - Spline based land manipulation, creation of river beds, land heights and much more
    - Direct adaptation with the planting rules, e.g. stack rules that change the land, then plant rocks, then
    plant grass on top of rocks and small details and then trees, all in one go.
    - Combine rules with same spline, e.g. define a rule that wont plant grass on the spline that defines the river bed and then will automatically leave space for the next rule that plants on the spline.
    - Create special roads and spread items - grass around them or in their middle (and probably will have various offsets too). Add fences automatically as well along the spline.
    - Texture along side splines, to better define roads, rivers etc
    - Curve the land with various options and texture based adaptation with integration in the rule system

I was inspired by the latest video of the new Unity 2018 demo and i will try to automate the creation of such detail with the rules system and also as an extra perk try to recreate about the same scene with my system and the InfiniGRASS v2.0 optimization in a vast open world, as a showcase of the system capabilities.

This demo and its assets will be available to all users that like the system as an extra bonus (i cant include in the pack as i will be using licenses that all can be used in games, but are not all licensed for resell, like Speed Tree standard asset trees and Blend Swap assets)

Rockwall33 likes this.
  47. pixlweaver

pixlweaver

Will this be delaying 2.0 release further, or are these features coming after 2.0?

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

These are features already implemented for my upcoming infiniLAND system so will take only a few more days and make the rules system exponentially more powerful so I decided to include it. I have already finished the base functionality I described above as well and now refine it.

For example I already curve rivers and avoid the base grass go in them. now I do some new brushes with sticks and river stones to decorate along the river spline path.

Some things are also suggestions from users that I must implement on v2.0 e.g the stack system is based on a simple assignment of brush per layer which is a feature I have planned for v2.0 due to user request. The idea is to plant big stones first and add them to the depth buffer by layer and then have other vegetation conform directly with the v2.0 system.

Rockwall33 likes this.
  49. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

That is really cool!! :D

That is really cool what happened in the 2018 demo can happen with rules here. Keep up the good work!! :)

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The stacking layers method is now also done, so the system can have two layers stacking, e.g. big rocks can be the first layer that is spread on the land and then grass or smaller stones - branches on top of that automatically. I will try the system around the rivers curved with the new spline system first and post some pics asap.

Rockwall33 likes this.